iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storm hits nortwest states & B.C./Nasty storm

Started by leweee, December 15, 2006, 08:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

I wonder about that mountain climbing too, Corley5. One thing for sure, it's going to be an expensive rescue effort for the taxpayers. I hope they come out alive. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Faron

Looks like rescuers found one climber dead.  Doesn't look good for the others.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Corley5

Quote from: Faron on December 17, 2006, 08:06:34 PM
Looks like rescuers found one climber dead. Doesn't look good for the others.

:( :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sawguy21

A couple of kids recently went hiking in North Vancouver with light clothing and no survival gear other than a cellphone which ultimately saved their lives. The father dropped them off at the staging area late in the afternoon. So many people have no idea of the dangers and how quickly the conditions can change, it is not a walk in a city park
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

I'll second that. We used to get up at 5:30 or 6:00 am and go to the cook shack. The stars would be shining. By 8:00 am it was socked in and raining hard until about 4:00 or 5:00 pm on a lot of days, unless it was a really big storm. Then the sun would shine after supper until sunset.  ::) Some of the guys would go fishing during this time. Then some weeks it did nothing but rain hard or harder. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

blaze83

you guys are right on the changing weather...not sure why anyone would want to climb in December...I was on a forest fire in the  wilderness  of central Idaho in 1986. We flew in in helicopters, dug fireline all day & night and trucked back to our base camp the next day. it was 80 degrees the morning flew in, it was raining on our truck ride back to camp and in the morning when we woke up there was about 4 inches of snow on the ground...in late September this can be expected.....but it was the 4th of July weekend.  I'll never forget it...it was amazing smiley_bouncing_pinky

steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

leweee

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 17, 2006, 06:21:31 PM
Just don't let lewee borrow the chain saw. ;D

sorry lewee ;D  smiley_contract_point

Swamp Donkey  dangle_smiley....you make it sound like that was my fault. :o ::) no_no
That picture is a constant reminder to not take a nap in the logging crews truck while the rookie is learning to fell trees.  smiley_sleeping zzzz_smiley yikes_smiley:o
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D   smiley_hardhat2 Good wake up call. ermmm  yikes_smiley

I was lurking in your gallery and tried to find the thread that was posted to, then I got to think'n. Sometimes that ain't so good.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

farmerdoug

Yhat what happens to a white truck in timber country.  ::) It sure makes a good target.  I wonder if it will be sold as customize like they show in the Carfax commercials. :D :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

BW_Williams

Checking in from the East side of the Cascades.  Most folks in Chelan County have the lights back on, exept the upper Entiat Valley and Stehekin, in may been a while as all the lines and poles are down.  Almost 5000 homes were out at peak.  The West side of the state still reporting around 200,000 homes out as of 12/18.  We got over a foot of wet heavy snow at my place, then the wind, but didn't lose any trees, just some branches.  Lots of OT for lineman, tree crews and dispatchers!  Stay safe all,  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Coon

The news just Stated that the west coast is getting it again. :(
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

sawguy21

Not blowing here yet but that could change in a hurry. The storms have brought up a dilemma. A large number of huge old growth trees in Stanley Park in Vancouver, formerly a beautiful showpiece, are down and there is already an argument as to if and how the damage will be dealt with. A tree hugger group wants it left for mother nature to take her course but that means permanently closing it off to human access. Already the city and some logging contractors are arguing over who should remove the trees, there is a lot of valuable timber, and whether the logs should be sold as they are taxpayers property. Then there is the issue of spoiling the park with noise and tracks from logging equipment. Sheesh. ::) 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

If I was a logging contractor, I'de stay as far away from that place as possible. You'de become another target of the hoodlums. Wouldn't matter how good a job you did, it's still be wrong in some folks eye's.

Paul_H

It's been painfull to watch the TV footage showing prime butt logs 30"+ being hacked up in short,random lengths(firewood) instead of prime lengths.I'm glad the Parks board showed some wisdom and asked for logging co's to be called in.

QuoteYou'de become another target of the hoodlums. Wouldn't matter how good a job you did, it's still be wrong in some folks eye's.

You're right of course but that has be come just another part of the job,like flies,mosquitoes and widow makers  :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Coon

Alot of those trees won't make very good sawlogs anyways IMHO due to cracking and twisting.  Dangerous too.  I don't see why they don't take some of the timber from the park and build benches and tables and such.  It could still be owned by the taxpayers.  Just a thought.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Paul_H

There is a lot of monetary value in those logs.Some that snapped off may have issues but mostly there was a lot of blowdown with roots intact.I saw a lot of breakage from poor bucking.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

Yeah, probably some of the folks involved in cleaning up are thinking of getting the stuff moved and may not be thinking of bucking for best saw log value.

Thank You Sponsors!