iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Helping my brother to the other side, Tom passed last night Feb. 26th

Started by 47sawdust, February 10, 2021, 08:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

My 83 year old brother has bone marrow cancer.It is terminal and he has chosen to not treat it.
I came to Vermont 50 years ago to visit him and never left.
I now realize why I came and that is to ease his way to the other side. Our relationship has not always been easy but that is all out the window now.
I feel very honored to be in this place, give him comfort and be-still his fears.We are 2 of 6 children and Tom is the first to leave us.
My only daughter died 16 years ago and my Mother-in-law died in our home 2 years ago so I am not new to loss or caring for those in their last days.
I am truly blessed to have a powerful wife who has sustained me and vice/versa.

Thanks to all of you for just being there.

47sawdust
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

moosehunter

It is good that he has you, and you him. Make sure you take care of yourself while you take care of him.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

doc henderson

not as scary if you are ready to go, and surrounded by a close and loving family.  God Bless.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sublime68charger

God speed to your brother on his journey and thoughts and prayers for you during this difficult time.

dgdrls

Sedgehammer

God bless you and your wife to be there and to help your brother in his time of need. It's not for the weak of heart. You're good people!!
Necessity is the engine of drive

barbender

I'm glad you can be there for him, God bless you all.
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

You're a great brother. Sending good vibes to give you strength during this tough time.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

moodnacreek

47, I know where you are [so to say]  Lost a brother in 08 not long after we started to get along, thanks to 9/11.  Saying good bye can put the surviving one right to the bottom. Be strong.

Wudman

If you are not aware, please contact Hospice in your area.  They can help both the family and your brother as the time comes.  My wife has been there for many families in the end of life.  Appropriate steps can help ease the process.  You are in our prayers.  God Bless.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Sedgehammer

Unfortunately we'll be in that place some day and it'll be here 10x faster then we think..... Your brother is lucky that it'll be family taking care of him vs a nursing home. Family usually does a better job and the one getting ready to pass over, feels better being at home. I'm lucky in that regard, as my wife and her family said I'll never go to a nursing home. I feel for those that go, as family visits trail off and they feel lonely. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

Nebraska

Bless you for stepping up. Glad you can be there for him.

47sawdust

Thanks for all your replies. Home Hospice is indeed a great resource and makes it possible for loved ones to pass in the comfort of there homes with loved ones and pets to offer comfort.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

mike_belben

just FYI, hospice is not the only late stage in-home option incase anyone reading finds themselves in need of help.  my wife spent the last year as a private elderly caretaker entirely on in-home basis, employed by a company.  there are several in our town. 

Jesus defeated death on the cross, so for those who believe in Him its just a transition out of the bad and into the good.   Lord bless you for being at his side in love and support in his hour of need. some comforting passages

john 11:25
1 cor 15:42
2 cor 5:8
rev 21:4
joshua 1:9
romans 8:28
matthew 5:4
1 thesselonians 4:13
luke 20:36
romans 8:18
rev 14:13
isaiah 57:1-2
john 16:22
2 cor 1:3-4
Praise The Lord

snobdds

I am sorry to hear about your brother.  I know the feeling. 

I lost my brother when he was 21.  I wish I had the opportunity to say goodbye to him.  Don't be afraid to hold him close and comfort him...not everyone gets that. 

Patrick NC

Everyone here is spot on. Not much left to say except stay strong for your brother and God bless both of you and your family. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

47sawdust

My Brother passed last evening.His 2 grandchildren went in to kiss their PopPop good night and shortly after Tom breathed his last breath.
Tom died the same way he lived his life, with great dignity.
RIP Brother
Thanks to everyone here for your thoughts and kind words.
Mick

mike_belben

Good on you all for being by his side, its sad for us but glory days for him.  Where he is now, no one wants to come back here from.  God bless him. 
Praise The Lord

barbender

Sorry to hear of your loss, 47- I'm glad you were able to be there for him and help him on his journey. God bless you and all the family.
Too many irons in the fire

firefighter ontheside

Sorry for your loss.  I'm sure it helped him more than you know that you have been there these last weeks.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

You did well.  I offer my Condolences to You and to Tom's entire Family. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

olcowhand

Our Condolences on your loss. I have brothers, lost a couple of step-brothers- and it is never easy. You stepped up where many wouldn't (or maybe "couldn't").
Belben, your list of recommended verses can help all of us. Thanks.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

ESFted

S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WV Sawmiller

I am so sorry for your loss and offer my sincere condolences to you and his entire family.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!