iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lowes sued over nominal vs actual sizing of lumber

Started by 4x4American, April 26, 2015, 04:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_Papenburg

I think it was in the early 60s that the standard was changed . I remember the Popular Mechanics had a cover story about the smaller framing lumber decreasing in size from 1 5/8 x 3 5/8 to 1 1/2 x 3 1/2. 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Ianab

Quote from: Raider Bill on April 27, 2015, 10:28:03 AM
I think someone should sue whoever grades the crap you buy at the big box stores. Seems to be always full of knots, cracked, curved, crooked etc.

A couple of sawmills got hauled over the coals by the authorities here for selling "machine graded" wood that didn't meet the official standards. They blamed technical problems with the grading machines, but paid the fine and "recalibrated" the grading rigs.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

gimpy

I can hardly wait to start paying the price for a gallon of fuel that is only nine tenths of a gallon.  8)
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

Stuart Caruk

You already do... when I was a kid we bought fuel by the imperial gallon. it's 16% more than a US gallon by weight... of course I grew up in Canada. When they switched to the metric system fuel mysteriously jumped from 96 cents a gallon to 46 cents a liter, and very, very few people even noticed. Most people are frankly clueless...
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

joecoin

So, why isn't a 2x4 really 2x4 in the first place?

Magicman

It was "in the first place" and may still be close when sawed and before kiln/plane.  I seldom have requests for full sized framing lumber because nail guns in common use will not work.  You can not nail 2" lumber together with 3" nails.  Another reason is matching existing framing lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

there's the problem mm, most framing nailers are 3 1/2 long :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Peter Drouin

All my customers want the full size, Hear it all the time,  [Now that's a 2x4] :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Peter,I also like the looks of a full 2X4. I just buy longer spikes. No nailing gun on this hill. I could use one,but one of those things that would sit on the shelf waiting for me to use it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Quote from: red oaks lumber on April 28, 2015, 08:40:38 PM
The specs on a 16d nail is 3½".  The Bostitch 16d nails for my air nailer measure 3¼" and 1/8" of that is the point.   I guess that nails have shrunk with the lumber.  Same as a pound of coffee.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

landscraper

I have a Bostitch KN85PP framing gun that shoots up to 5-1/8" nails.  Problem solved for true dimension lumber.    Right now it's loaded with 4-1/2" spiral shanks and it will bury the head of the nail just fine.  I don't think they make that model any more, but there is new version.  Hitachi makes one also I believe. 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

4x4American

My Tikka T3 is a tack nail driver so I reckon I don't need one!  Hammer works just fine round here.  I like hitting stuff so it kinda works out...
Boy, back in my day..

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on April 29, 2015, 08:29:41 AM
Quote from: red oaks lumber on April 28, 2015, 08:40:38 PM
The specs on a 16d nail is 3½".  The Bostitch 16d nails for my air nailer measure 3¼" and 1/8" of that is the point.   I guess that nails have shrunk with the lumber.  Same as a pound of coffee.   ;D
Supposed to use the nails right away not let them dry out.  ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Cedarman

Are there some brands or sizes of nails that shrink less than others when they dry out?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

red oaks lumber

a folding nail is best used once it drys out, it becomes stiffer :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Dave Shepard

I must have had some of those green folding nails last weekend. Trying to drive trim nails into dry black locust. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!