iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The most overlooked maintenance issue around the mill yard.

Started by DARRELL1972, June 24, 2019, 08:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DARRELL1972

For me it is my edger blades. I just spent 2hrs cleaning the pitch off both blades. Still need to sharpen. But boy did I let them go to long...
What's your most overlooked maintenance issue?
95lt40hd
74 8k windham forklift
2018 eg100

WV Sawmiller

Probably organizing my tool box rates up near the top right now.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Use WD 40 to remove pitch, I buy it by the gallon and put it in a garden pump sprayer. Once a week I squirt the blades and feed rolls, the pitch melts off. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Peter Drouin

Cleaning the yard and around the mill of all the scraps of wood.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 24, 2019, 09:49:38 PM
Cleaning the yard and around the mill of all the scraps of wood.
I am with Peter, keeping the area clean and organizing it is an ongoing thing. After every little jobs I do, I spend at least half a day, if not more, cleaning up slabs and filches, cutting it into firewood, or whatever. Making it cleaner and easier for the next job. If you don't do it, it just gets worse. It's too easy to focus on the work at hand and let things build up.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

DARRELL1972

Yup clean-up is an everyday thing for us as is greasing the machinery and checking oil. I just had not checked those blades for pitch build-up in awhile.
95lt40hd
74 8k windham forklift
2018 eg100

WV Sawmiller

Since I am mobile I am pretty good about cleaning up the scraps of wood from my sawing at home every time I move my mill to get ready to go on a new job elsewhere. I also move my sawdust pile and slab wood at the same time.

Happy birthday@Southside .
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crusarius

I am sure you guys are all 100% right. But I think there is 1 more item that your all forgetting.

YOU!

We neglect ourselves more than any piece of equipment. It is never a bad idea to just say, "I am taking today off!" 

Then enjoy a nice relaxing day and get back at it hard the next day. you really will not lose as much production as you think.

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

moodnacreek

Dull edger blades in a old sawmill tradition, not a good one.

YellowHammer

Preemptive spraying for wasps.  I never have time to hunt down all the nests until I've been stung.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

PAmizerman

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

hamish

Keeping potential fire hazards away.  Biggest culprit is the smokers, seems 99% of em just dont listen.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

123maxbars

clean up for me also, i need to have a burning party!
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

OffGrid973

As first kid has pretty much stopped my ability to cut, and initiated many cleanup activities...my biggest overlook is turning those ??? Cuts into firewood and sever the sentimental tie to a "possible" project or sale.  Nicely cut firewood is also enjoyable as a final product, but brings a secret tear to my eye.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

jmouton

everything you guys said , i have day job and our mill is 8 miles down road ,  alot of stuff gets overlooked ,, and neglected ,,  ill catch up soon,,,,  i say that every year though,
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

DYank

come on, y'all  know keeping the fridge full of beer is the hardest and most important. :) 

Dean

YellowHammer

Quote from: YellowHammer on June 25, 2019, 05:55:59 PM
Preemptive spraying for wasps.  I never have time to hunt down all the nests until I've been stung.  
Got stung today.  !!!****!!!!  
Right in the throat.  DanG!  That hurt.  

So two cans of wasp spray and 5 wasp nests later, I believe this particular maintenance issue has been resolved for a while. I had time to buy the cans of spray a month ago, had time to write that post on the 25th but didn't take the time to actually do it.  Smart.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

I had to get hay today and put the tailgate back on my utility trailer to stack against and I kicked an old tire waiting for the recycle truck and yellowjackets came out. I thought they were in the tire but turns out they were in the ground under it. I grabbed a nearby can of Sevin dust and sprinkled the ground around the hole and the flying yellowjackets passing by and hopefully that will reach the queen and put them out of commission. I will check in the morning. At least i fared better than you and saw them in time to avoid them. Sorry to hear you got dinged. Get well soon.
Howard Green

Southside

The wasps have gotten fired up around here this week too. Become quite aggressive, another guy observed the same thing. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DARRELL1972

Yellow jackets and wasp can't be tolerated around my mill. My brother is highly allergic so I keep them under control.
95lt40hd
74 8k windham forklift
2018 eg100

caveman

For those times when you find yourself without wasp spray and when a flaming greasy rag on a stick would not be advisable (under the eave of your wooden house or around the mill), diluted Dawn dish soap will kill them but not as quickly as wasp spray.  Just think, a product that will clean oily ducks, kill stinging insects and serve its intended purpose.
Caveman

Nomad

Dish soap stops them from flying and will eventually kill them, but it does not stop them from crawling and stinging before they die!  A friend of mine found that out the hard way.  Several of 'em got up his legs and stung him before he figured out he might want to leave the area. :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!