iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Down under salvage

Started by sigidi, January 22, 2013, 07:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigidi

So I've been a bit busy, had one day off in the last fortnight since things started up back in the New Year (I keep saying I don't work weekends, but the week just ain't long enough) one of the best things I like doin is salvaging logs destined to become woodchip. I know some may say its not much of a save to make it into sawdust, but at least people get to do something with all the timber other than let it rot.

There where 5 rows of piles like this...

Looking from the top of the block back down to where my ute and trailer are parked, 1 row off to the extreme left can be seen and then there where four rows off to the right, its taken a 20K excavator seven and a half days to rip through all the downed timber with shears to get it ready for grinding into mulch, even after I have taken all the timber out I felt I could use...

A bunch of stuff like this was to be shredded into mulch...

and how about this??? 8m between the gloves - yep right at the base that is another glove...alllllll the way down there ;D and this was to the first branch,still pulled another 5m from above that branch

and the hauling begins....

got another load on the trailer at the moment I haven't taken a photo of, then there are the photos of the posts/timber going out to put up too, plus I have to take pics of the timber still there yet to haul away.

Each load on the trailer is somewhere in the tune of 2.5t, this last load is 2.5 cubic metres of ironbark so that is around the 3,125kg mark
Always willing to help - Allan

thecfarm

That first picture looks like a mess,but by the looks of the last few pictures you have it all nice and neat now.  ;D Not that it really matters,but,are you paying for the logs?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Nice haul. Lots of work, but it'll pay off if you love what you do.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

That's what I call a salvage operation. Great work! 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ST Ranch

Sigidi - pretty impressive -just wondering how you are getting the logs from the slash pile to your trailer and onto the trailer?  Also - what is the salvage operation trying to accomplish? Was it highgraded first or ??? And finally what are your plans for the wood, milling it into something?  Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

sigidi

Quote from: thecfarm on January 22, 2013, 07:53:55 AM
That first picture looks like a mess,but by the looks of the last few pictures you have it all nice and neat now.  ;D Not that it really matters,but,are you paying for the logs?

When I found out about it they had already pushed down the timber and dozed it into those five windrows, the guys doing the mulching have now sheared all the stuff into bits no longer than 4' and up to about 8" as a max diameter, put them into piles so they can then load there grinder. The last day I was there they cut some roads to the piles with the dozer for the grinder to get in, this thing is 75ton and 3.5m wide apparently. I'm not directly paying for the logs themselves, but it's 90 min drive each way, I pass through 3 toll gates each way and have now spent 7 days working out there to salvage the logs - that means 7 days not making timber/making money. In 5 days I spent over $450 in fuel and our diesel is around $1.48/l at the moment down here.

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 22, 2013, 08:02:00 AM
Nice haul. Lots of work, but it'll pay off if you love what you do.  :)

So far its given me a good deal of timber in the trailer loads I've taken out. There is probably another two trailer loads of the smaller logs I can get out, but the rest is all truckworthy and as much again if not more of it left.

Quote from: clww on January 22, 2013, 12:30:00 PM
That's what I call a salvage operation. Great work! 8)

Cheers mate ;D

Quote from: ST Ranch on January 22, 2013, 12:52:53 PM
Sigidi - pretty impressive -just wondering how you are getting the logs from the slash pile to your trailer and onto the trailer?  Also - what is the salvage operation trying to accomplish? Was it highgraded first or ??? And finally what are your plans for the wood, milling it into something?  Tom

In the first few days I had to sling the logs once I cut each end then drag them out with my 763 bobcat skidsteer, so was a bit limited in what I could get to with the chainsaw and also what I could manage to free from the surrounding logs, but the mulching lads then had there excavator with shears on site and he would drag out something decent for me to measure and dock, then I'd carry the logs away and take the waste back to him to shear - that still took 5 days to get through the stuff.
Basically this is how my milling business runs, I get my logs from this kind of job/location so I can supply timber to customers. As these guys have to get in and out as fast as they can, the idea was to get out anything that was useful to me before they tore it up. as I had to travel there so much and get the bobcat there I had the trailer and decided to make my return trips 'useful' hence the loads on the way home. Now I have sawlogs, logs for split posts/rounds and sleeper logs left.
The end result is this will be the next two months 'food' for my milling operation 8)

Nomad

Sounds like a lot of work, but a lot of reward too.  Good Luck with it, Alan!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

sigidi

So I finally came to the point of loading up what remained on this site...

Managed to get hold of a good ride for the day...

and then proceeded to load it up...

All in all I think it was around 60 tonne of log I salvaged from this jobsite.

Had forum member Weisyboy give me a hand for what I thought would be one days work. I hired the truck on Friday morning ($300 per day) and with them not being open Saturday or Sunday as long as the truck is back before opening Monday, you pay for one day. We ended up doing around 800k in the truck moving the logs - I think we went through something like 24 toll gates while using it and spent about $280 on diesel.
Pretty big weekend, we managed to load the truck with bobcat but had to unload by hand at the other end and got the last load dropped off Saturday afternoon, just as the weekends rain had soaked in enough to start bogging the the truck down a few inches in the dirt at the unloading end - just in time

drobertson

Looks like there won't be many days off in the future with a pile like that smiley_applause  way to go man, nothing like turning trash to cash 8)   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sigidi

Thanks David - down side is we are about to be flooded down here again..... forcast is for another week of rain - been 2 days straight already!!!

drobertson

that's a bonified crapola, between the floods and fires, there seems to be hardly a break for you guys, sorry to here of the troubles,  at least you will be ready when the skies clear, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hackberry jake

Your iron bark looks a lot like our black locust. I wonder if they are cousins.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

sigidi

Quote from: drobertson on February 18, 2013, 04:55:02 PM
that's a bonified crapola, between the floods and fires, there seems to be hardly a break for you guys, sorry to here of the troubles,  at least you will be ready when the skies clear, 

Ah Dave, its how we roll down here in Aus mate - that's just what happens. At the moment while parts of our state are receiving 8" of rain a day, other parts of southern states are fighting rampaging bushfires wiping out hundreds of acres of land, I'm sure there is somewhere that hasn't had rain in the last 2 years and on the verge of being a declared natural disaster.

Quote from: hackberry jake on February 18, 2013, 05:55:15 PM
Your iron bark looks a lot like our black locust. I wonder if they are cousins.

Jake , I did a quick bit of research on black locust, it's bark does look similar, but it's density seems to be less than 2/3 that of our ironbark - check out this http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/29_5447.htm for info regarding some of our ironbark

Thank You Sponsors!