iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

traversing a slope on an excavator / trackhoe

Started by steveh2112, April 20, 2021, 05:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveh2112

i have about a 20-30% grade on my land and need to get across the slope to dig some septic test pits. i rented a tiny excavator and was traversing a very shallow slope, about 20% and managed to roll the thing on its side. fortunately i jumped off ok and get the thing upright but the tip damaged the engine and i'm probably going to get charged for that :-[

i am going to rent an 8000 lb machine for my next attempt and looking for advice how to traverse a slope. at this point i'm thing a series of up and down movements with the bucket down hill to act as an anti tip device. but is there a better option? i see nothing on youtube

thanks

doc henderson

or get a bucket of wet dirt in the bucket and put it up the hill as ballast.  do you have some experience in this kind of terrain and equipment?  be careful.  or go straighter up and down the hills, not across.  may have to zig-zag like tacking in a sailboat.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Patrick NC

Luckily you didn't get crushed under the machine when you bailed off. The best place to be if a piece of equipment with a ROPS turns over is in the seat with the seatbelt securely fastened. I've been operating heavy equipment for almost 30 years and have seen 2 fatalities. Both times the operator was pinned under the machine because they jumped when it rolled over. In both cases the operator would have been either uninjured or only minor injuries if they would have been wearing their seatbelt. Even the smallest mini excavator is heavy enough to kill a person easily. The best course of action under the circumstances described is to hire an experienced operator to help you. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

moodnacreek

When I am scared I dig steps in front of me and drive up on them one at a time. If you can control the swing you can reach out and counter balance your self also. You need time on the machine to take chances.

Dave Shepard

You could probably hire someone to do the percs for the same money as the rental. I got a lot of work for my Kubota backhoe because I was the same money as a rental with trucking per day, and you didn't have to hire me to come back and fix the mess you made when you rented the machine yourself. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

florida

Seriously? You got very lucky and didn't kill yourself so you're going to try again? How about hiring someone who knows what they're doing so you don't die over some stupid holes? You aren't going to learn how to operate an excavator on the internet.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

hedgerow

Quote from: florida on April 20, 2021, 09:33:19 PM
Seriously? You got very lucky and didn't kill yourself so you're going to try again? How about hiring someone who knows what they're doing so you don't die over some stupid holes? You aren't going to learn how to operate an excavator on the internet.
I couldn't agree more. I have ran all types of equipment for forty plus years and the type of land you are talking about is no place to learn how to run a excavator. Just hire some one to do the job. 

steveh2112

thanks for the replies. i was thinking about it and what i should have done is dig a somewhat level road ahead of the machine so no leaning side to side. then create a flat pad at the end of the traverse to make the 90 degree turn so i can descend the hill. i think with more care and better use of the bucket as a down hill lean limiter, i'll be fine.

i'll be a lot more careful next time. i know people always say hire and expert but right now that's easier said than done, i called all the local excavation companies and no one wants to do a small job. plus i want the experience so i can dig my own footings and septic lines.

gspren

When they put the nat gas pipeline across my farm I watched some very experienced track hoe operators go across side slopes, bucket side downhill. I think with an empty bucket the counter weight which is now uphill is heavier and more importantly they kept the empty bucket with teeth down a few inches above the ground to catch themselves. Not for amateurs!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!