iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Viewing DVD

Started by Fla._Deadheader, July 22, 2009, 06:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mburrow

Fla._Deadheader

OK. I read that page you linked to, for a second time. Thanks.

Problem I am not seeing is, This machine WAS playing Mpegs, I guess. I could view videos.

When the motherboard blew, I bought a new one. Installed the same hardware to the same Hard Drive, and was able to view Videos.

WHY, all of a sudden, am I not able to view them ???  Virus or something ???

Thought about resetting the system to a couple months back, when everything WAS working. Probably won't help, if it's saying NO decoder is installed ???

I DID run the Windows XP install disc, but, still no decoder. ???

I just don't see how it could not be there ???

Thanks for all the help you guys are giving me. Maybe this thread will help someone else, in the future ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

A few codecs are sold separately from the main software or because the software you have is a demo or trial they have crippled it with a set duration of use or missing codecs.  So, I believe even under Nero you had to buy the decoder separate from them or it is activated once you buy the software package and enter their key code (long string of numbers and letters) to unlock it. It's like an image format that I use in which my Aerial photos are saved to. I cannot alter or write in that file format, but I can view it. I would have to buy an encoder from Lizard Tech to create those images, which is very expensive as I recall. The file format is MrSID (multi-resolution seamless image database) in my case.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Many times some manufacturers of computers are sold with audio video programs pre-installed and if you wipe the hard drive or swap in a new one all those files you need have to be reinstalled from the recovery disk the manufacturer included with the computer and often the recovery disk will only work for that brand computer and won't function on another brand computer. And often you have to boot your computer off that recovery disk to even get to an install. On mine, I can't access it from windows, everything is encrypted.

Does not look to be your case though, if it worked at first after installation.

Windows Media Player should play those DVD videos.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Harold, was someone messing with the DVD regional settings? On the disk you want to play, is it a commercially packaged DVD? If so, get out the hand lens  ::) no kidding, and see what region it is formatted to.

Be careful farting around with that though because MS in it's interest to control your habits has set a limit on the number of times you can change this setting in Windows, even if you reinstall windows or move that drive to another PC.  :-X

I won't even mention where that change can be made, yet.

Fla._Deadheader

I'm thinking, everything was fine, UNTIL I installed the Nero Software.

Wonder if they have written something into the software that would find and control the codec from Windows Media player ???

This is the only logical conclusion I can think of.

Would that not be malicious tampering with private property, IF that could be the case ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Under your Device manager (navigate there as described above) you see an item as highlighted in blue in a branch of the list view under "Sound, Video and Game Controllers.

Double click the "video codecs" branch and see if you have something like this,

And check each one under "properties" to see if they are functioning.

If not try going into Control Panel under the Start button and click the Add/Remove Programs link and then hit the "Add/Remove Windows Components". Scroll down the list and see "Windows Media Player" and see if removing then adding the component works. Might need the Windows Install or recovery disk if a file is missing.

What I'm wondering is if you have different regional disks and you have been playing a regional type, such as "1" for US and Canada and maybe another regional disk that caused the drive to swap region numbers. I think you can swap 4 or 5 times and then the last settings change is set for good. Unless you have a multi-regional drive. Does the last disk you played, that worked, still work when you try to play it?

I don't know where the Directx message your getting plays in this. I've had Nero a long time and it has not interfered with Windows Media Player that I know of. Some of the windows codecs are likely being shared/used by Nero.

Fla._Deadheader

OK. Did all that. Says everything is enabled and functioning properly.

I just messed with the Nero disc, and I get a "your 30 day free trial is expired".

I thought an install disc, sold with the Video device was for a full version ???  Looks like they want cash to activate that codec.  ::) ::)

Still, what happened to the original Windows codec ???  >:( >:(
   First, it is ridiculed;

Warbird

Wow.  Yer just havin' all sorts of fun, aren't ya?  Since the Nero eval time expired, have you gone to add/remove programs and deleted it?  Maybe that will help.  Seems like you are having more than just one issue in all of this?

SwampDonkey

When you installed Nero, you may have gotten a message to replace an older version of that codec with the one on the install disk or maybe it's a version for Vista and may not function in older Windows versions. That one that replaced it may not have Microsofts seal of approval. In your "System Properties" there is a "Driver Signing" button under the "Hardware" tab. That's a possibility I suppose. I'm not sure if it's deleted though, I think it's stored and can be rolled back. So reinstalling WMP may put it back.

Fla._Deadheader

YUP. Deleted Nero, twice  ::) ::)

Inserted the Windows install disc and let the thing take whatever info it needed off the disc. Still no go.

Setting the system back a couple months won't straighten this out ???

I will look for the "signing thing". Thanks again.
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Referring back to post number 22, to get into "Device Manager".

Double click the "DVD/CD-ROM Drives", then double click the branch under it to your DVD drive.

You should see a tab for "DVD Region". How many changes are left? Should be a line stating "Changes Remaining: _" The spot I underscored in the quotes will show how many times you can change the region before it is permanent. Don't mess with the regional settings fields under it, but was just curious as to how many changes remaining is there, because it seems to me this a possibility that the last disk used changed the region for the last time and only those disks with the same region can be played from now on. If your getting disks from Europe, China and USA and others all those disks will change that regional setting and after 5 swaps your drive will set it permanent and the only way to correct it is to flash the ROM in the drive. This will not be an issue however, if your drive is multi-regional. If it is multi-regional the driver won't show you a warning about making changes to the regional setting.

Fla._Deadheader

It says 4 changes remaining.  Except for the Nero , I have all USA produced Cd's-DVD's.

Not sure where Nero is from ??
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Well that's ruled out then.

I don't know what you did, but you did it good. ;)

Fla._Deadheader

Got an update for you guys.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Seems this computer dials itself up and connects online.

I have to click the Icon, on the desktop, and then click dial. This thing has taken on a life of it's own.

I was told a good while back, to get rid of CCleaner. It would take over the Computer, so, I deleted ?? it, a couple days ago ??? I know Warbird advises CCleaner. ???

HOW do I do a severe Virus-Malware scan ???  AVG finds nothing wrong ???

I'm going out to the shop, and whittle me a sharp stake and find my BIG hammer  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

DouginUtah

If you have a virus the best way to get rid of it is to download MalwareBytes Anti-Virus and run it. It might take half an hour but if you have a virus it will destroy it.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

At least ten million people run CCleaner with no problems. It is one of the best programs you can run to keep your computer clean.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Fla._Deadheader

OK. Downloaded that Malware program.

Also spotted a DirectX package to download. It's a Microsoft version.

Is this the file I may be missing ???

I will wait for the scan to finish, and see what comes up, before downloading the DirectX files. ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

Scan says the machine has 0 infected files ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Warbird

As I told you some time ago, there are infections that cannot be detected by antivirus/spyware programs.  If you had a confirmed infection/compromise, you have no way of knowing if a Bad Guy installed a different back door.  If that occurs, it doesn't matter if you clean the original infection, they still have a way in.

That being said, this may not be happening in your case.  A computer will autodial to get online for only a certain number of things.  I'm going waaaay back here and my memory is fuzzy but I seem to remember a setting in my modem/terminal program or within Windows itself to allow it to autoconnect if I tried browsing to a web page while offline.  If you have your computer set to autoupdate at a specific time, and if you have it set to autoconnect when needed, that may be all that is going on here.

It is impossible for me to say for sure without actually sitting down in front of the thing.  As for the DirectX package, which version is it?  Updating DirectX may be a good idea but again, I'm not positive what your underlying problem is and don't want to make things worse for you.

SwampDonkey

Yes as Warbird says about the auto dialing to the internet. In your "Network Connections" under Control Panel and under your dialup connection (what ever you named it) you go into "Properties" by right clicking and selecting that menu item at the bottom. Then click on "Advanced" tab and the first and second check boxes in there under "Internet Connection Sharing" will set that capability. Your considered a network user even if your on the host computer. So if you launch IE the dialer initiates if your offline,  same would happen for Windows Auto Update.

Fla._Deadheader

DirectX version 9.0.  Is what is available for download.

Dial up connections are NOT enabled automatically, and, I don't even have IE available on the desktop. I won't use it.
   First, it is ridiculed;

mburrow

this should install any audio or video codecs you need for media player I tried it on mine and it worked for me
http://rapidshare.com/files/260346680/XP_Codec_Pack_1.2.4.exe

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on July 25, 2009, 06:25:29 PM

Got an update for you guys.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Seems this computer dials itself up and connects online.

I have to click the Icon, on the desktop, and then click dial. This thing has taken on a life of it's own.

One sentence it does, then in the next sentence you do it manually.  ???  :-\

Fla._Deadheader

YUP, SD. That's exactly what it was doing. It ALWAYS will ask if I will let it go online to retrieve updates or whatever. If I click OK, it will dial itself up. If I click NO, it would NOT dial up.

It dialed itself 2 different times.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

OK. Downloaded that Directx that I found. It's a GENUINE Microsoft version.

Tried to run it, and, got a box that said it's not a verified version, and would not run the program ???
   First, it is ridiculed;