iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Okay, I sawed this one last log and completed my 942 bf order for 8" X 5/4 X 10' boards and 3" X 4/4 X 10' battens. I went ahead and called the customer and he should pick it up tomorrow. He thought he was going to use his pick up till I described the size and weight and he decided to borrow his buddy's double axle car hauler type trailer.

Next  decided to saw the below pictured locust curve for 8/4 LE benches.

Two future benches (Maybe 3 if I change my mind and pull that other one out of the slab pile. BTW - dry black locust is very hard wood! :D

Next I grabbed a very ugly poplar top and sawed it and got these 6 really pretty 7' 2X4's.

Which after lunch promptly grew up into 2 nice 4'  sawhorses (Okay - I did have to borrow 2-3' 2X4's laying around for 2 of the legs on the second bench. Still lots better than going on the firewood pile. The stretchers were reject 3" battens with wane on part of them. Work fine for this.

All total one hour on the mill and 100 bf sawed.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

caveman

WV, you have been productive. 

I use marginal 2x4's to make our saw donkeys in a similar style to yours.  The 2x's would not be good enough to sell but cut at 42" for the I-beam parts and 20" on 10° angles for the legs seem to work well and allow them to nest (stack).  These are a good height to offload right off of the mill and work as a bench in a pinch.

The locust benches will be nice.
Caveman

WV Sawmiller

Cavey,

I never heard one called a Saw Donkey but short piece's of 2X4 work good for sawhorses and stacking pallets and I guess they could be used for table legs and such. I only have 20" forks on my FEL bucket so I use a lot of 2' wide pallets with 3 - 2X6's and the 2X4's vertical underneath. I guess I could use 1X material instead of 2X6s but I haven't tried that yet.

I found the design for these sawhorse on the internet somewhere and they work good only the plan called for all 2X4 and I find the stretchers don't need to be that thick and scrap 4/4 works fine. The width is easy to adjust. The legs are supposed to be 34" as are these but the short stretcher is supposed to be 21" and I find that is a little too long - probably because I am using full thickness 2X4 instead of dimensional 2X4's.

If we had the time and storage space we could all likely salvage a lot more short pieces of lumber out of our scrap piles.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mtoo747

This pine log was every bit of all my little John Deere wanted to pick up...and only just barely high enough to clear the bunks of the mill! It scaled out around 1100#. Heaviest log i've had on the mill yet. 

It yielded 18 2"x4"x10's and 10 or so 1" boards. Didn't get pics of the lumber but will add them when i do.
mike
first time posting pics but i think i got it right.

Bruno of NH

I got some good size balsam fir logs some 16" on the small end very little taper.
Started sawing them up for boards to sell just to have some thing different than pine.
I sold a lift of 10' long mixed width hemlock boards to a farm 2 towns over and delivered them this morning.
It will be a good connection.
Smiley didn't know what to think when see seen the alpacas  :D she looked at me funny.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jim_Rogers

Sawed out a butt log from some customer's tree this morning.
He wanted 5/4 pieces to the middle then two 9/4 slabs as wide as possible.
I don't think he understands the weight of these pieces.

and the 5/4 pieces:

I hope he can move them.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

terrifictimbersllc

Oh, btw, I like wide!
And oh, btw, can you cut them thick too?
How long will they take to dry?
Maybe I can cut them in half so they're not so heavy. 

::) ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

"Hurry up and cut them because I need to have those cabinets that I am gonna build with it ready by next month."
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DPatton

Saturday was dedicated to sawing wide slabs. The TimberKing and I traveled to Bellevue Nebraska to do custom sawing for a local tree removal service. They had a variety of logs with plenty of help and support equipment to get logs to the mill, and for offloading slabs. I'm glad I spent Friday changing blade belts, and fine tuning the blade roller guide adjustment for peak performance as we really worked the saw hard in wide cuts all day. 

Sycamore being turned into slabs.

Cherry slab coming of the mill

Stacking pine slabs

Red oak with some crowd pleasing grain and color

and a really nice, large Walnut slab coming of the mill

One of numerous stacks of slabs

Some of the slabs were quite heavy as the client had me saw 2", 2 1/2", 3", and even some 4" slabs. The back and feet definitely needed ibuprofen by the end of the day.

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Nebraska

Banjo picker

@DPatton did you have any metal strikes in those slabs?  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

DPatton

Quote from: Banjo picker on October 20, 2019, 05:04:21 PM
@DPatton did you have any metal strikes in those slabs?  Banjo
Funny you should ask as I do have a damaged blade fee of $25.00. I actually questioned the client about potential metal from urban trees. He assured me that everything we were sawing came from an area where it was unlikely they would have foreign metal in them. We cut roughly 20 logs without finding any metal in any of them. So now for the funny part. I was so distraught by not hitting any tramp metal in any of the logs I felt obligated to zing the top of a log stop with what should have been my last blade of the day. :D
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Bruno of NH

FF member Mike Dillon came over today with some good size white pine logs to slab on the lt40 wide one log we used a 4° band and the second a 747 .055 which cut much better . Banded and loaded his slabs up for transit back to his shop and mill.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Sixacresand

I remember Mr. Dillion and his Son at the Northern Project.  Nice work.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Bruno of NH

Today Mike brought his chainsaw mill and I pulled a big pine butt crotch out of my stash.
Mike and my helper Pone (pony boy) started milling it up they will finish it in the morning. 

Stephen1

I like chainsaw mills when it is a young person using them!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

BUGGUTZ

Hey Bruno, how did you secure the ladder to the log?
Everyone has to be somewhere.

Stephen1

Here pictures of one of my favourite customers.
He owns an Axe Throwing buisness and uses 14x14" poplar/aspen mounted in a metal frame. 
He brings the logs in from the shores of lake Huron, about 3-4 hrs away. I saw 5.5x5.5 and 14" timbers. It's a great gig when when all we do is push everything onto the loader. some of these logs are so large his big Kubota can only push them across the ground. 

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Bruno of NH

Buggutz
Pipe strapping over the rungs screwed to the top off the log.Shims added where needed.

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday, I finished up an order of 8x8x2' red oak blocks for the paving company's processing plant.

Today, I started back on eastern white pine timbers for a timber frame car port that will have solar panels on the roof to power the electric car.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

Wow Jim, you are just like a Timex.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

Today I was tackling a big 10ft clear Ash butt log.  Plan is to RRQS it.  It does have an offset pith, which is no matter with RRQS.  I'll just get wider boards on one side.  I started by chainsawing off as much of the swell at the butt as I could to get it down to 28", which is almost the max width of the mill.  Then I made it into a cant, leveling the pith in each direction.  Here you can see the off center pith.

About to have a 4 sided cant.

Now to gun barrel it by cutting the 45°'s.  It's tricky on the manual mill.  Lots of wedges, and careful  balancing.  A C-clamp to make sure the steel wedge doesn't slip.  Johnny was on the other side with wedged between the log and backstops.  Leveling the pith on these cuts too.

Now she's gun barreled.  Ran out of time today.  I had to build a frame for an ammonia fuming tent and do some cleanup and get the burn barrel going.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Old Greenhorn

Thanks Brad, nice clean clear photos. I think I am beginning to get a grip on this process. I hope you have more coming I want to see how this goes.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

richhiway

I sawed up a new porch for my screen room at camp. White pine. Hemlock legs. A 3x6x8 to attach it to the building. The step is temporary and now I have to saw up some 4x4's to put a roof over it,net year.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

alan gage

Quote from: richhiway on October 23, 2019, 10:14:27 PM

I sawed up a new porch for my screen room at camp. White pine. Hemlock legs. A 3x6x8 to attach it to the building. The step is temporary and now I have to saw up some 4x4's to put a roof over it,net year.
That looks like a nice place to be. But if your temporary is anything like my temporary than you might be using that step for a while. :)
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Thank You Sponsors!