iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rubber Block Suspension for Log Truck

Started by Horselog, January 30, 2017, 08:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horselog

Does anyone have experience with rubber block suspension for hauling logs?  I'm looking at setting up a KW tri axle that has either Hendrickson or Chalmers rubber block suspension on the rear, 52k axles.  I've only ever had springs, no experience with any other kind if suspension.  But I do know that air ride doesn't work for logs. 

Is it any good?
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

Gearbox

It works good but hard on the back . Be sure to turn the truck on dry black top and make sure the rear wheels stay in line [Bushings ] . Why not air ride . They will go further in mud and snow and ride good . Those  hockey pucks ride very bad .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

bushmechanic

Rubber block is great loaded but terrible empty. Empty the drives will create a wicked amount of wheel hop, especially on hills.

DelawhereJoe

I used to drive an Autocar with the hendrickson rubber block suspension, it wasn't a log truck but we did go off road ever day with it. It made for a very rough ride......very rough. As for running empty and having problems, even empty the tri-axel truck weighed in at 42,000 lbs, the only problem I ever had was the mud and really poor tread.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

treeslayer2003

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on January 30, 2017, 11:11:10 AM
I used to drive an Autocar with the hendrickson rubber block suspension, it wasn't a log truck but we did go off road ever day with it. It made for a very rough ride......very rough. As for running empty and having problems, even empty the tri-axel truck weighed in at 42,000 lbs, the only problem I ever had was the mud and really poor tread.
howdy Joe! your a senior member but first i saw you.

DelawhereJoe

So how is your part of the DelMarVa island, now about the senior member status, not completely sure how one is granted such an honor.

DelawhereJoe

Back to the subject of the suspension, when I was driving the truck it was a 2005 or 2006  a few of the other macks of the same years ended up with broken springs from the constant weight and the bumps. But I never had a problem with the suspension braking.

Woodhauler

I haul wood for a living, have had both springs and rubber, RUBBER all the way! Have had 3 now with the Hendrickson haulmaxs suspension. No broken springs, Rides nice! Longer the wheel base the better! Any short truck, spring or rubber will beat you to death.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

snowstorm

my volvo has chalmers i dont see anything not to like about it. if a ruff ride bothers you get one with a air ride cab

coxy

just about every one around here has air bag suspension in there log trucks

chevytaHOE5674

All the guys that haul for us have full air ride on both the truck and pup trailer. Sure you will go through some air bags over time but the ride is like a cadillac.

ehp

we had a couple trucks up north that had rubber, strong, never break but the only down fall they had was climbing steep hills in the bush empty in the winter time , lots of snow and ice , once loaded I would say they were better than springs as they kept the load more level and did not lean near as hard as springs

AlexHart

Is rubber block the same as walking beam suspension?   That's what our family has always used and while its not a very smooth ride at all it is nigh unbreakable.  Our truck mostly crawls around in the hills on secondary roads and only rarely ventures onto a highway so it works for us.   

If you go on open roads a lot though I'd probably suggest trying to do air bags which can be installed on just about anything.   It can even be put into my truck and I got an estimate some years ago but never did it.   7000 bucks maybe?   I can't remember.   Purportedly it makes a huge ride difference and it also opens up the possibility of knowing what your truck weighs and around here with the government starting to resemble totalitarian dictatorships going after trucks in every way possible that's good information to have.   

coxy

the other nice thing about air ride is if your to high you can lower your self to  :-X

killamplanes

For what it's worth another mill owner used my western star for a week. Virtually the exact same truck he had retired a couple years ago, rear mount grapple, pup trailer, cat motor etc. Mine is spring ride his was rubber. He swore up and down spring was way better. He hated his rubber, had nothing good to say. I'm not trying to put them down, expecially  if it's not a daily driver (in this case air ride everything). 
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

snowstorm

Quote from: coxy on January 30, 2017, 07:39:20 PM
the other nice thing about air ride is if your to high you can lower your self to  :-X
true story the guys putting up the winter sand a few yrs back. the door was tall enough that he could back the truck in but after he dumped it   it wouldnt come out   they let the air out of the ft tires to get it out

TroyF21

I've had rubber block. They are maintaince free usually but are hard on the driver and the truck. Usually shakes the dash too pieces , screws come out. They are also can be dangerous if empty and need too stop quick. They will jump. And will jump going up a hill empty. I find air liner supension the best. Good ride. Durable and stable.

starmac

Air ride works great on my log truck, infact better in every way than any walking beam setup I have seen in the woods. Everybody I run with that runs beams, rubber block or spring, has to run two sets of 3 railers, while I barefoot the very same loads and hills.
The last 3 log trucks that have been bought here, one last year and two more this year went with air.

I ran beams for years, but at this stage of the game, and the shape my back is in, I wouldn't drive a truck with them around the block anymore.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

BargeMonkey

My sterling log truck is on hendrix/turf Trac  rubber and I've got 2 sterling triaxles with it also and it's the only way to go in my opinion. I've got mixed opinion on air ride, I have a mack tractor on air only because of my lowboy, would prefer the rubber suspension honestly

Grizzly

From my hauling days in northern Alberta which was mostly off highway haul with one outfit doing highway haul. All on overweight permits.

If I'm setting up a bunk truck pulling a pole trailer. Rubber block only. A couple of fellows tried it with air but the air was not able to compensate for unbalanced weight which is very direct with a pole outfit. We were also loading these 5 axle units to as much as 211,000 lbs.

Any unit that uses a fifth wheel. (hayrack, jeep & pole, jeep & hayrack, etc) These I would go with air ride everytime.

The above viewpoints have nothing to do with strength of suspension. Air rides are available in very heavy ratings as well as rubber block. I didn't find much difference in ride between spring & rubber block but at least with rubber block we were never in the shop to replace leaves.

I miss chasing moose out in the bush........
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Thank You Sponsors!