iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Staying Fixed

Started by Magicman, January 08, 2014, 08:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

While sawing the Goodwill job for dablack in Texas in December I had a power feed problem that came close to making me convert the LT40 Super to a manual sawmill.  A bearing failed that I had replaced in April, 2010.  LINK  No way would I have ever imagined that I would have power feed problems this soon, but bearing failures happen.

It warmed up enough today for me to tackle the problem which first required removing the power feed motor and feed assembly.

Not much left of that bearing. 

Thankfully a new bearing was available locally.

And now my power feed is happy again.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sawing to much Sweet Gum.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bill Gaiche

Glad it lasted thru the job in Tx. bg

Magicman

Bill, I was thinking about you while I was working on it.  You squirted it plenty of times with ATF.  I don't think that it did any good, but it made us feel better.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

You are right, bearings will fail,  and there are replacements ready.  Warm weather, or weather close enough to warm is is good enough to work through.  It seems there is never a perfect season, just  a perfect time, the present.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Yes, stay away from the sweetgum, hackberry, and pecan ( smiley_devil).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Oh yeah!  ;D Up and running again. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on January 08, 2014, 09:26:32 PM
You squirted it plenty of times with ATF.  I don't think that it did any good, but it made us feel better.   ;D

If I thought ATF was the cure all.....I'd be using it for everything.  :o :o :o

backwoods sawyer

How many trips have you taken up and down the rail over that time?
I just shortened the feed chain by two pairs of links and was looking into replacing the chain and sprokets as they are showing wear as well. May well be time to replace bearings as well. Thanks for the post.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Bill Gaiche

You may be right. If no oil got into the bearing at all then it was a waste of time. But it did make me feel better and was hoping it would last in which it did. From the looks of the old one it didn't have many more trips back and forth. Glad you have it repaired. bg

LeeB

Good thing I read the rest of the thread. When I first read the subject, I had to wonder why a man so well seasoned as yourself would need to worry about getting 'fixed'.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Actually, my thoughts were that MM was now stationary and no more sawing marathons in far off lands. Look out sweetgum, there is now a come up'ins in store. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

goose63

Can I ask is hackberry hard on a band mill ? :new_year:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WDH

I find that it saws fine.  Just doesn't want to dry straight.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 09, 2014, 07:16:09 AM
I find that it saws fine. 

How do you know?........Jake saws it.  ;D

Magicman

Bill, in the first picture you can see that there were no rollers in the cage and that the end of the outer race was broken out.

Harvey, yes, the saw head makes many trips back and forth during a day's sawing.  Also the reverse "stopping" is harsh on the entire assembly.  When you release the drum switch a shunt is placed across the powerfeed motor providing instant electromagnetic braking.   

pineywoods

Glad it didn't bugger up the shaft. Usually does when that bearing fails. I have 2 of them in my shop that came off LeroyC's super. I build the shaft back up with a wire welder and the turn back to correct size on a lathe.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

In Reply #13 in the LINK you will see where the original shaft was cut down big time.  The problem was that the sprocket was also gone so my best option was a replacement from WM.  As I mentioned above, this area gets MUCH use as well as abuse.

Andy White

Lynn
I hope that repair will last another 991 thousand board feet of cutting. It will be cool to know a double million bd ft. sawyer!!! Great fix on the mill.     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

GAB

Magicman:
Thanks for the heads up.  I do not have a super, however am I right in thinking that the regular LT40 has the same design.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

dablack

Looks like a good repair to me!

NOTE:  No sweetgum was sawn on my property.  Not that Lynn woudn't have if I would have asked. 

Bill hitting that old bearing with ATF did muffle the grinding noise a little.
Building my own house in East TX

Magicman

This repair means that my excuse for taking an extended holiday vacation is no longer valid. 

There are 30 names on the list so this is shaping up to be a busy year because there is already one "whole house" on the list.  It might be noted that some folks call that for whatever reason, don't call back.  Money is tight so if a specific building need is not there, they may choose to just let the logs rot.  The list seldom gets below about 15 names.

wwsjr

Very glad it held until we finished out in TX. I have never had to replace that bearing on any of my four WM mills. I had about 3500 hrs on the Super that burned. All others has less hrs.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Jim_Rogers

Well beside pushing the saw through the log, it's moving the operator as well. This could put more drain on the system then mills where people walk both ways.

And with all the sawing he's doing there are a lot of back and forth moving going on.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Magicman on January 09, 2014, 09:06:34 AM
...When you release the drum switch a shunt is placed across the powerfeed motor providing instant electromagnetic braking.

My LT40 does not do that.  It just coasts to a stop in both directions.  Maybe something wrong?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!