iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sinus Fix ?

Started by Autocar, March 27, 2018, 07:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Anybody have a home remedy for sinus draining down the back of your throat ? Had this problem for most of my life. Some times it will give ma a sore throat and the cold will stay between my throat and my eyes. I use a lot of Afrin  and don't like to use it so much.
Bill

DPatton

Autocar,

Sorry I don't have a home remedy for you. But I am wondering if you happen to chew or smoke tobacco? I chewed for 30 years and when I finally quit my sinuses thanked me for it. My sense of smell also became much improved too. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

tawilson

Neil Med sinus rinse has improved my quality of life. Start feeling an infection coming on I put some pulmicort in it.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Ianab

Take up surfing.  :D

A few good wipeouts and your sinuses get a good high pressure saline rinse. Amazing how much crud it will flush out in a session, although you may get random drips of salt water from your nose for the rest of the day. 

If you aren't near the sea, then tawilson's suggestion of an actual sinus rinse does a similar thing, and doesn't involve the risks of drowning and shark attack.

But the idea is the same. Rinse the crud out of there. Prevents it building up, and causing more irritation, and more mucus etc. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

YellowHammer

I walked into my Doctors office with sinus issues, he saw me snort Afrin and literally threw it into the garbage can.  He informed me it is highly addictive and will cause a vicious cycle of nasal congestion and drainage.  What I thought were sinus issues were caused by the mucous membranes in my sinus cavities being affected by the spray.  It can actually enlarge and an modify nasal tissues.  I'm not exaggerating, Google Afrin Addiction.  

It took me weeks, twice, (I didn't learn the first time) to get off the stuff.

One of the best non addictive nasal spray medications is Flonase, now available over the counter.  It's a steroid and will calm things down.  A nasal saline spray also works.  I would recommend that sinus issues should best be addressed by a professional.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

To get off of Afrin, I had to do it one nostril at the time.  Quit one side and continue in the other.  Seems like it took about a week for each side (nostril) to rid itself of the Afrin affects/addiction.

Dymista is very good but prescription and expensive.  Saline rinse and maybe a shot of generic Flonase during an occasional flair up is all that I need now. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gary_C

I have had the same problem for about two years. Went to the ear nose and throat doctor and he diagnosed the problem as Vasomotor Rhinitis. Said it may be allergy related.

He gave me two nasal sprays, both Rx only. Ipatropium Bromide and Fluticasone Propionate plus recommended the Nelimed sinus rinse which is a saline rinse. All of them work fine but short term relief only. Doctor said it would take at least a year of treatment and there was no real cure available. 

I guess I would agree as the three items are short term relief only and I see no real change after over a year. Learn to live with it I guess. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Autocar

Thanks everyone and no I don't smoke or chew tobacco I don't know how to swim eather so I guess surfing out of the question  :D.  I knew afrin isn't a good thing to use but breathing out of your mouth get's old also. I will try one of those salt washes thanks for all your statements.
Bill

sawguy21

I snort a lukewarm salt/baking soda solution. Sometimes the Eustachion tube between the nose and throat gets plugged then I have balance issues. The Flonase aqueous works but is not cheap, the spray dries out the passages too much and I get nose bleeds.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ESFted

Ten years ago, I started doing a saline rinse at night using something similar to the Neil-med product.  It cured my sinus drainage problems and I've been healthier ever since, with very few colds or any other air borne sickness.  It's worth a try, but a bit messy.  Just check out the videos on YouTube.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Thank You Sponsors!