iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

greenhouse to dry wood

Started by music_boy, November 16, 2005, 07:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

music_boy

My neighbor accross the way has several greenhouses he is not using. He has offered me the use of the largest at no cost  to me. Maybe some custom sawing down the road. I need some insight as to how long to dry some wood. I'm anxious to do some work in my house. Mostlly 1x4,1x6 stuff for trim. Neighbor says it gets 150 degrees on a cloudy day in the winter. I'm guessing 8 to 12 weeks to dry oak this timeof year. What kinda mousture % can I expect here.?
Please, suggestions and advise
Thanks
As always
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

arj

I use my small greenhouse to dry wood, it works pretty good. I use a cheap northentool fan to blow thru the stack. With oak I air dry for a couple of months be for puting it in the greenhouse.  I don`t know much about drying but oak has to dry slowly. When I put it in the green house green it checked and twisted alot.
                                       arj

Ianab

Like Arj says, controlling the drying will be the problem.

With a solar kiln (which is basically what you are trying to do) the drying is controlled by venting. If you run the kiln with the vents mostly closed the humidity goes way up and keep the drying at a sensible rate. Thats how they can dry oak successfully in one.
If you just put oak in a hot place and blow air over it, it will dry too fast and split, warp and generally get fouled up.
Once the wood is air dried it's a lot more forgiving. You could safely put 20%MC air dried wood in there and have it dry to %10 in a few weeks. Thats basically what Arj is doing.
But going from green without some way of controlling things could mean a lot of wasted wood.

I did see a magazine artical about an Australian commercial solar kiln. It looked like a big plastic tunnel house, but it had a couple of smaller 'sheds' inside that held the wood. The whole tunnel house heated up but air was then blown into the 'sheds' by controlled fans. I think they were air drying first as well, then using the solar kiln to finish things off

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

lawyer_sawyer

I am not sure I would have ever thought of a greenhouse but I really like this idea as my sister is working to open her own greenhouse in the spring.  If all goes well with her maybe I will have someplace to finsh drying some wood.....Once I get a sawmill (God willing and all that)  ;D :) ;D
Love the outdoors, chainsaws, my 300 win mag, my wife and my son but not exactly in that order.

Thank You Sponsors!