iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Grizzly

Well done Roxie!  :D :D  Poor Ray.  ;D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Peter Drouin

Deer on the run,  :D :D :D :D

My Cat was slipping and sliding all over with the snow and ice.
So kitty got new claws. :D :D

One thing about ice chains, they chew up the ice, No need for sand.
A little cool this morning,

18°
By morning it will be 4°. I have a bunch of customers coming Friday.
I'm not even going to start the mill,
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

I'm getting a tooth pulled a 7:30 then going home and work in the shop :)
Running the mill on Saturday they say it will be warmer
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

:D   :D    :D     :D   
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dustintheblood

No sawing here today.

-22C / -7F

Only one waterline frozen.  Spent the day trying to figure it out...

Still frozen.  It's a head scratcher
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Magicman

Peter, I looked under your had and you are starting to look tire'd.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Thats a good loint about ice chains.  My cat just slides all over and I just ride it out...them ice chains be a good idea make the yard less slippery and help the sun melt it quicker.  Where you get them from cat?
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Roxie.....you are off the chain fly girl.  :D :D :D :D :D  (hood talk)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Quote from: Bruno of NH on December 14, 2017, 07:02:24 PM
I'm getting a tooth pulled a 7:30 then going home and work in the shop :)

:)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

4x4 I have a logger store In Tanworth NH, Windy Ridge Corporation.
They have anything you want for cutting or pulling trees.
Not bad, $1800.00 for all 4.
I could have gotten a lighter set, Like I did for John. But, the Cat is too big, so I got skidder
chains. ½" wire
They do have bigger ones. :D :D :D :D :D
Just think if I load a customer's truck/ trailer and the Cat slides with a load.
Bad enough with the steel forks, I was picking up some 16' Hemlock logs, And they would slide off. Good thing the forks tilt.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 14, 2017, 09:53:27 PM

Not bad, $1800.00 for all 4.

You paid that much for tire chains?  :o :o :o
Would you be interested in a tract of highly valuable Walnut in Key West?  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Up here in the north we don't fool around with the little stuff. ;D
I have a bunch of Walnut in the barn. ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

$1800 for 4 ice chains thats not bad.  Getting chains for a skidder is like 2 grand per chain I thought.  It's worth it up here.  I love the idea of the ice chains breaking up the yard giving people traction to walk also.  The yard is a sheet of ice right now, bring your ice skates to work :D .  I got the backhoe kinda stuck (had to use the bucket to push itself out) 3 times plowing the other day when I went too far pushing snow over the steep banks.  The logs slide off the forks like trying to pick up a wet fish wearing boxing gloves would be nice if the forks tilted or even had a grapple that came down.  Hard to stack logs too being packed with ice and then saw through the frozen mud.  The backhoe slides all over the place trying to get around in a timely fashion.  Lumber slips and slides on the forks have to be real careful to not lose it...The south don't sound so bad sometimes :D
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

canadianchainsusa.com/[/font]

These guys are in maine I guess and they weld the chains in their shop custom sizes and all.  Was gonna see what they get for a set of chains for the front tires on the hoe.  [/font]
Boy, back in my day..

Darrel

Quote from: 4x4American on December 14, 2017, 10:54:23 PM
The south don't sound so bad sometimes :D

True, but you'd havta eat grits!  :D :D :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

4x4American

Quote from: Darrel on December 14, 2017, 11:54:50 PM
Quote from: 4x4American on December 14, 2017, 10:54:23 PM
The south don't sound so bad sometimes :D

True, but you'd havta eat grits!  :D :D :D

Long as I an put maple syrup on em I don't think theyr half bad!  (I don't think theyr half good either though)
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

4x4 Spread on your ice in the yard, you won't need chains. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 15, 2017, 05:56:49 AM
4x4 Spread on your ice in the yard, you won't need chains. ;D

Spread what peanut butter?  Grits?  lol
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

In my experience, SAWDUST is the best ice melt that can be had. Biodegradable and plenty of it around the mill. Just a sprinkling on your ice will give you traction and melt the snow/ice way faster than you can think. At least faster than I can think before coffee.

Since we are talking thinking, I think I could spread a little sawdust pretty often through the winter way cheaper than $1800. However we dont always have snow through the winter so your results may vary.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kbeitz

I picked up a nice set of chains for duel wheels at the junkyard.
I'm going to make them fit my bigger kubota. I had no idea they
cost that much...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

SlowJoeCrow

All it takes is one little mishap prevented and those chains will have paid for themselves.  Good on you for getting them, I also had noeyedeer that they were that expensive.  While we are on the subject, make sure you guys that are on the ice have chains for yourselves as well.  I am talking about ice cleats for your boots - nobody needs to slip and fall - stay safe eveyone!

Gearbox

K I just made another set for the Bobcat . Took 2 old sets of car chains used one set to double the width .  Just bolted the cross links together Just carry extra bolts until the threads get beat up .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Crusarius

I have a set of kahtoola microspikes I keep with me at all times. works great on snow, ice, and mud.

I also use them when I am working chimney fires and get stuck on the roof. I have never fallen off a roof during a fire call. I also have not used them on steel roof :)

Ricker

Canadian chains make as good a set a chains you can buy, but they aren't cheap.  I got a set of chains for my 2wd all terrain forklift from tire chains.com real cheap.  The lift was helpless in an inch and of snow, let alone ice.  With the chains the thing is a tank now and will go in a foot of snow.

Thank You Sponsors!