iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

I would presume, that not even Jim is going to bite on sawing up that pile of wood.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Delawhere Jack

Jim. The moment you hear "non-profit", turn on your heel and RUN!!!!!

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Chuck White on August 06, 2014, 08:56:34 PM
Just finished up a sawjob today, 9,669.1 bf of Red Pine.

That was a lot of logs!  ::)

9,669.1.......... You my friend must have a very sharp pencil...

YoungStump

Some days your the saw, some days your the mouse. Another day cutting wood.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on August 06, 2014, 09:33:24 PM
Jim Rogers
Signed "between a shrub and a hard place".....
I presume by the Hour, A log rite training class is in order, as a pair of log rites will spin the logs rite around if heeled correctly.

Quote from: Chuck White on August 06, 2014, 08:56:34 PM
Just finished up a sawjob today, 9,669.1 bf of Red Pine.

That was a lot of logs!  ::)
Roughly 120 logs or so ???
the tailing pile can be the biggest challenge on a job that size unless the tailings are moved from time to time. Thats makes a nice pile of wood.
pics? ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

thecfarm

Poor mouse,he never saw it coming.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

The Red Pine logs that I sawed were in 3 separate piles and the "average" diameter was 10", with a few up to 16" and a bunch around 8".

Ice storm wiped out a lot of this customers Red Pine grove!  He had chippers, pulpers and me involved!

There were around 200 logs in this job!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Youngstump, I've seen all to many of these types of culls, but never a mouse in the knot hole!  crazy stuff there for sure!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tule peak timber

boy, nice logs for sure !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WDH on August 05, 2014, 10:05:36 PM
Your friend from High School is a Shmuck and a Dork.

I think Putz would be more accurate. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on August 08, 2014, 05:16:59 PM
Quote from: WDH on August 05, 2014, 10:05:36 PM
Your friend from High School is a Shmuck and a Dork.

I think Putz would be more accurate. ;D

All of the above..... for sure.....

Jim Rogers

P.S. I have told everyone who ever mentions his name to me how he burned me, and that I am pithed at him. So I'm sure it has gotten back to him by now.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Peter Drouin

Guys like that don't care what you think. I bet he has 20 guys pith at him. But he will call you again, You watch :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

backwoods sawyer

Yesterdays milling was the ugly duckling job. Started off with an over sized Walnut that had been hacked on with a chainsaw. Then a batch of Mayple, and since we were there he just had to knock down this Myrtlewood turned out to have a dog cable wrapped around it :-\ oh and it was 105*
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Peter Drouin

Sometimes a customer has some strange ideas. Good job you did 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Small Slick

I had a really big day on Sunday. I finally got to saw something other than pine!  I have been making boards for my cabin, mostly flooring and siding; all out of red and white pine.

My father in law had given me a nice 9.6' red oak about 18" on the small end. I spoke with Steve from Red Oaks (my version of Yellow Hammer University) and he gave me some pointers on how to handle oak. Thanks Steve.

I have been anticipating seeing quarter sawn oak that I cut on my mill.... I was really cool.

John.

backwoods sawyer

Sounds like a good log, always nice to open up a good log and make quality lumber with the proffesser ;D 8) 8)

Went out and marked up these White Oak logs for next weeks milling, right after the redwood. Did mark off a fence on one log.
The youngest boy got his permit today so I let him make the 65 mile drive taking all county roads, you know the ones that don't have all the white line on the asphault with a view of the river below. Only a few teeth marks in the drivers manual :D ::)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on August 12, 2014, 12:15:15 PM

Yesterdays milling was the ugly duckling job. Started off with an over sized Walnut that had been hacked on with a chainsaw. Then a batch of Mayple, and since we were there he just had to knock down this Myrtlewood turned out to have a dog cable wrapped around it :-\ oh and it was 105*

At least it wasn't too hot. ;D smiley_bat_morph smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_bat_morph teeter_totter smiley_devil_trident
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Deese

Quote from: thecfarm on August 07, 2014, 05:05:30 AM
Poor mouse,he never saw it coming.  :D

Don't know how this one was missed...Good One  :D :D
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Peter Drouin

Today I went around and pick up some logs in the yard, The bugs are just starting to get into them . All w pine.

I made them all one inch. I won't lose BF I payed for. 
August is hot up here and you have to watch the pine. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

I've got those little sawdust piles on some of my logs. I'm not worried, that band zips right through those bugs.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 14, 2014, 10:09:57 PM
I've got those little sawdust piles on some of my logs. I'm not worried, that band zips right through those bugs.  :D

If they've got bugs in them, you can cut back on your blade lube!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 14, 2014, 10:09:57 PM

I know, But my customers don't like holes in their lumber.  :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

mesquite buckeye

Wormy wood= premium price if you can find the right woodworker. ;D

backwoods sawyer

Monday morning started off with a 60 mile drive and destroying a saw on the first cut of the first log, ¼ of the teeth gone, ¼ bent over 90* rest chewed up. Finished up the third log and put on the forth saw. After that we were able to set a good pace and finished up the day with just under 3,000 bft of oak flooring all 7" wide. It all went into a dump trailer and it was a bit over loaded and I had asked if he wanted to swap out trailer but he had insisted that it all would fit in the trailer and I would not overload it as it could haul 10,000lb .

Started getting invaded about noon by these little two legged fir balls, they were coming thru the log deck and hanging out under foot, so little Jo started gathering them up and putting them in a box, before long there was 14 baby quail  in the box. Later they were successfully reunited with the parents.

Tuesday we finished up the oak with just over 3,000bft this time he had two trailers ready, he had weighed the first load and the wood weighed almost 15,000 lb.

Wednesday we moved the mill 50 miles to a new site and milled a 1,500bft incense cedar tree. The butt log had to be split as it was over 40". First log had a dozen metal strikes ,  later sawed thru a ½" lag bolt, took four saws to mill one tree, these are third run Cooks saws that are cutting great to start with but they still don't hold up to cutting metal. We went thru a good portion of the saws that we just sharpened over the week end. I haven't had to charge for damaged saws all summer but both of these customers bought some saws.

Moved the mill a little over 60 miles this morning and milled up some good sized doug fir that came in a pick-up and a trailer load,  no metal, good feed speeds made short work of that batch.

Heading out this morning for another 50 mile drive to mill more Doug fir.

logboy

QuoteTuesday we finished up the oak with just over 3,000bft this time he had two trailers ready, he had weighed the first load and the wood weighed almost 15,000 lb.

Apparently he found out the hard way that fresh cut oak is five pounds per bdft.  :D
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Thank You Sponsors!