iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Barker C4 Saw - Need Info Please

Started by KonaKustoms, November 09, 2013, 09:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KonaKustoms

Hey guys, I bought a old Barker C4 model saw with a ah47 motor.
It appears to be all there but is missing the pull handle to start it or see if it runs or test it.
Any idea where to get a original pull handle for it?
Is it worth more original or restored?
Can't seem to find much info on it anywhere on the web. it seems to have been made close to me in Springfield Mo. about 80-100 miles from here where I live and got the saw. It was made in 1957-1958.
I am a logger and mill owner and this thing looks as dangerous as a old sawmill....lol
Whats it worth?

Any Info or link to info would be great.
Thanks....Brad
Full time Portable Band-Milling & Logging.

chet

Look anything like this?  :)  Barker rim saw, same era as yours.

you can find more info on your more conventional Barker C4 chainsaw on Mike Acres site.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

KonaKustoms

No it has a bar & chain. I will get a few pics today and post them.
I am just guessing the model because it can bairly be seen on the side of the tank still and tags I found on the saw.

chet

Quote from: KonaKustoms on November 09, 2013, 10:02:55 AM
No it has a bar & chain.

I knew that, I just couldn't pass up a chance ta post a pic of da Barker Rim Saw.  :)

Please check da following link for some history of the forum connection to the Barker Saws. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=memoriam
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

KonaKustoms

here the old girl is if this pic deal work

KonaKustoms

I would love to get a pull handle (well the correct handle) after we see if she runs so we can take it with the portable mill to shows for people to see the old saw run & cut. I log alot and could not imagine using this all day in the woods!
Everyone have a great day, I better get to work.
Will check in later to see if anyone has anymore info on the old saw.
Thanks Guys.

sawn4fun

I have a Tecumseh chainsaw that looks very similar to your Barker. I had the model determined at one time but I didn't put a tag on it so I'll have to figure it out again. It's possible that different manufacturers may have shared some of the parts. Nonetheless, I wouldn't be too concerned about the pull handle affecting the value of the saw. I have several antique saws (none restored) and what I've ascertained is that none of them are really worth much. I'm sure there are exceptions and maybe you'll be a lucky one! Have fun with it, that's where the REAL value lies.

KonaKustoms

Not really worried if its worth anything, I just love old stuff that still works and the history behind it is worth more than a dollar value.
As for your saw I have read that there were 2 manufacturers in Springfield, Mo that made basically the same saw due to using the same foundry for there castings. One sold to our military and to the public & barker was public only I believe.
Also think this saw is a C40 but tank decal is very hard to read. Never the less it will go into my old saw and milling stuff for people to see and touch and we can listen to the old timers tell stories about them.
Everyone have a wonderful day and thanks for the reply's. Just thought you guys would like to see the old saw.

ctklrdon

Hi Brad,

Most of them used Fairbanks / Morse Recoils. When you are looking at them, make sure it pulls counter clockwise.

Is the cup still on the flywheel? If it is, it has two notches and you can wrap a rope on it.

Don
187 saws in our collection, all colors from 1947 to 2007

KonaKustoms

I have not had time to mess with it yet. It is all together still. Thanks for the info.

Thank You Sponsors!