iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are these mounds at the base of pine trees?

Started by Tullivor, April 05, 2015, 11:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tullivor

Hey everybody, happy Easter!
I am hoping this question has a simple answer and isn't a silly question! haha.  My wife and I just bought this property last fall so I have a lot of learning to do.  Walking around the pines this spring I have been noticing mounds, of what look to be broken up pine cones, at the base of a lot of trees.  I have no idea if its an animal digging at the ground or if its something going on at the crown.  If you have any idea what this might be please let me know, really hoping it doesn't mean anything bad.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

gimpy

My first thought is they appear to be the remnants of pinecones. Like something has been eating the seeds and the rest has fallen to the ground around the tree. However I wonder why there would be such a small diameter of debris.

I'm waiting to hear what it is.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

tempforce

squirrels, pick the cone, then retreat to the base of the limb to eat...
cleaning up wildfire damage...
making lumber and siding out of wildfire damaged trees.

jssmitch

Yep.  Squirrels for sure.  Seen it a lot in South Miss. and in East Texas.  Even have sat on my back porch and watch it take place in my back yard.
Jessie David Mitchell
USN Retired
Homemade band mill/Bought TK1400

BaldBob

Quote from: jssmitch on April 05, 2015, 03:59:30 PM
Yep.  Squirrels for sure. 
Yup. Around here we call those piles kitchen middens.

OntarioAl

Al Raman

thecfarm

Something been busy. I don't see many red squirrels in my area,but see piles like that on my land too. Might a grey?? I had a blow down and the squirrel was sitting on that and doing the same thing. I never knew there was a name for the piles.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rjwoelk

Yup see this in the rock mountains all the time guiding.
Sasquatch nest.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

pabst79

Around here that would for sure be a sign that a big fat porcupine was around.  :)
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Tullivor

well thanks guys, it seems to be an agreement of fat squirrels on the property!   :D
I haven't yet seen a squirrel around, but lots of chipmunks, maybe they do the same thing?
Its very impressive work for such a small animal like that, but I guess when you don't have much else to do then why not.
The other thing I observed was that all the mounds were on the same side of the tree, south.  Perhaps I have put too much thought into this, but I am happy to hear it must be squirrels and isn't anything I need to worry about

John Mc

Nothing to worry about Midden mounds made by squirrels. They'll often find a favorite place to sit while they strip the pine cones for the seeds.  They love to sit in the stumps in my woods.  Most likely red squirrels. They tend to store their food in caches... so they may have a pile of nuts or pine cones stashed, then pull them out in the winter when they need them.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

pine

I have those same piles and they are from squirrels eating (in my case) fir cones.
If I leave my backhoe and don't move it for 3 days the platform is covered.  They like to sit on the seat and throw the leftovers at the base of the seat.  Looks exactly like your tree bases.

Ron Scott

~Ron

NH-Murph

I couldn't walk 10' through the pine stands on my wood lot early this spring without finding one of those piles... Banner crop of squirrels this year. 

Thank You Sponsors!