iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coyotes!!

Started by Firewoodjoe, April 17, 2020, 08:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

They've been really close to my house a lot lately and just now they were literally on the edge of my yard. Yelling and caring on like they don't even care I was there. (I didn't have a gun) what can I do to keep them back? 

Texas Ranger

hang one on the fence
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doc henderson

so you have a big dog?  if it is a big pack you have to be careful.  or a tape of a mountain lion.  or if you have a 22LR and it is safe (not in town) take a shot now and then.  they are pretty "street" smart.  We just ignore them.  mostly would loose chickens ect.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

btulloh

Shooting some kinda puts them on notice. Any kind of harassment helps also. A couple big dogs can help, depending. Generally they don't want to get too close to humans, so the more presence you show, the better.  

What food sources are around?  Do you have a lot of small game close?  You should put up a game cam or two and get some idea about how many are around. Two or three can sound like a lot more when they get to howling. 

Personally, I'd favor the gun approach. 
HM126

Firewoodjoe

I don't have a dog or any animals. I just have rabbits and squirrels. Farms are as close as half mile. I'd like to shoot them also just never see them. I don't just carry my .223 around. I'll see if I can get some hunting dogs to run in here and that may help. If I shoot one I'll hand it it also. I didn't know if there was some sent or something they didn't like. I have two young kids that's what bothers me. 

doc henderson

would be prob. fine in the daytime.  you can have someone call them in with a injured rabbit call or a tape.  If they are howling you are prob. ok, it they are stalking prey you will not hear them.  lots of coyote hunters get the scare of their lives when they are calling for hours and seeing/hearing nothing.  then they hear breathing behind them.  very smart and stealthy.  do you have wild animal or are you keeping rabbits in hutches?  In Ks they are often solitary in the day, but pack up at night.  great camping in a tent with them all singing/crying/howling.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

I shot a young coyote about 8 years ago at the end of a deer hunt.  he was trotting across a field at about 200 yards (gets farther every year) and I took a shot.  could not tell if I hit him but found him over the hill.  got him mounted. My son was 11 and it made him sad since the coyote looked like a dog.  the ranchers do not like the population getting high.  It was  270 with a scope.  but a 22LR is fine and prob. safer if you are worried about travel.  If you call them in, a shot gun would be fine if close enough.

btulloh

How old are your kids?  Unless it's a big pack and they're desperate, they're not going to mess with the kids. That 223 will come in handy at some point. Just keep it handy when possible or call them in. Should be no danger to you and the kids, but small pets and such are at risk. They'll clean up all the wild rabbits and game birds for you.  
HM126

Southside

They don't present a danger to you or your family.  Yes, there are reports of people being bitten by them, but there is also the gal who it was confirmed was hit by a meteorite, so anything can happen.  We have them around and the biggest danger they present is to my layers and the wild bunnies that hang around the farm - nobody messes with my bunnies and lives to tell about it   ;D -  When I hear them carrying on at night I will slam a door or other item that will carry the noise and their howling stops instantly, they don't much care to be around people.  I have plunked a few during the day when they presented the opportunity and that sure educates their ways in a hurry.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

If you don't have animals around to worry about why not trap them? I have a neighbor who traps them and uses road killed cats paws as bait. Nails them on a tree and sets traps around the base of the tree. If leg hold traps are not an option use live traps. Animal control might help but if you are as rural as you sound I doubt it unless they are killing livestock or pets or such. I'd handle it myself. 

Doc - your luck sounds like mine. I shot a young coyote the first day of rifle season a couple years ago. Was right at sunset and I had been watching a yearling/fawn headed my way when the coyote came from 90 degrees away. About 40-50 yards away, 150 grain softpoint from 30-06. 23 lb pup I guess. $16 for the hide from my local dealer.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Southside on April 17, 2020, 10:21:03 PM
They don't present a danger to you or your family.  Yes, there are reports of people being bitten by them, but there is also the gal who it was confirmed was hit by a meteorite, so anything can happen.  We have them around and the biggest danger they present is to my layers and the wild bunnies that hang around the farm - nobody messes with my bunnies and lives to tell about it   ;D -  When I hear them carrying on at night I will slam a door or other item that will carry the noise and their howling stops instantly, they don't much care to be around people.  I have plunked a few during the day when they presented the opportunity and that sure educates their ways in a hurry.  
I totally agree with what was said👍👍

sawguy21

I grew up in a small town surrounded by farms so am very familiar with them but my city raised bride was not. Shortly after we moved to an acreage we were sleeping with the door to the porch open when they cut loose a short distance from the house. She almost hit her head on the ceiling coming off the bed, I didn't know she could move that fast. ;D The cat tore around looking for a place to hide, she had obviously encountered them in the past. Karen slept with one eye open for a while after that.
A neighbor wanted the co to come out and shoot them all because they kept getting into her chickens. Probably one of the organic free range nuts, we have a lot of them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Walnut Beast

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 17, 2020, 11:25:06 PM
I grew up in a small town surrounded by farms so am very familiar with them but my city raised bride was not. Shortly after we moved to an acreage we were sleeping with the door to the porch open when they cut loose a short distance from the house. She almost hit her head on the ceiling coming off the bed, I didn't know she could move that fast. ;D The cat tore around looking for a place to hide, she had obviously encountered them in the past. Karen slept with one eye open for a while after that.
A neighbor wanted the co to come out and shoot them all because they kept getting into her chickens. Probably one of the organic free range nuts, we have a lot of them.
😂😂😂

Firewoodjoe

Yeah we are rural lol and we've always had them here but never seen it had one this close to my house or building. And I think this was three. I know for a fact I seen two. I thought about traps also. Thanks for the input. Sounds like just killing them is the best option. 

Logger RK

Get a pack of wolves. They'll take care of any coyotes. But then you would have a bigger problem.

Bricklayer51

joe arent you around glennie

goose63

Over here thy put a $10.bounty on the yotes once a year that thins them out some
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

doc henderson

need to get a road runner!  meep!  meep!   :)  If you do not have chickens around, or dog food out, I doubt they will hang around.  maybe females looking to put on wt. after a long winter and before having pups.  they are hard to trap or shoot, but even a shot or two may send a message.  maybe leave an anvil around unattended.   :D

It is Saturday morning so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7K1SgywkiI

Chuck White

Check your hunting regulations, some states have a season for hunting and trapping coyotes!

If they are really bothering you or your livestock, you might have to revert to the SSS process!

If it was me, I'd shoot when I got the chance!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Firewoodjoe

We can shoot them year round and under a light as long as you have a base license. And they've been around for years just not very close. But I just went for a ride and see they cleared and chipped and stumped a large section of pine. That may have them pushed over. 

Southside

Your coyotes are logging tracts there and grubbing the stumps?  Holy cow!!  Maybe you need to be scared.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

most places allow you to kill a predator if it is threatening you family or property.  You can get extra deer tags if you are a farmer land owner who's crops are being trampled.

WV Sawmiller

When we first moved here we had a neighbor with big farms and free damage tags for deer from DNR. Their son and ours were teenagers and would go harvest a few as we could use them. I was working overseas so the neighbor would ask my wife how many and when she could use them and she would schedule and they would go shoot them accordingly. I think they could even shoot them till 10:00 pm at night with the damage permits. This was not hunting - it was harvesting/removal. There were farmers in the area who shot them and dragged them to the edge of the field and left them. Some pulled the backstraps and left the rest. I'd much prefer to use the whole deer where they could find people to take them but some people did not have the time  on inclination to do so.

Coyotes are no limit, no season and lights and electronic calls authorized in and around fields during certain times that do not overlap other seasons.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ron Scott

A regular nighttime visitor.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!