iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fraser Papers shuts down it's PaperBoard Line in Edmundston

Started by SwampDonkey, October 14, 2005, 05:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Fraser Papers shuts down it's Paper Board Line in Edmundston in 30 days. 100 jobs will be permanently lost. The company will be selling off equipment worth $5.5 million.

http://nb.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=nb_fraserclose20051013
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fraxinus

Is this an older mill, Swamp Donkey?  They just fired up an old mill here in Berlin, NH a year or so ago.  From looking at the mills I've seen in New Brunswick, they seem much more modern looking than the ones we have left in NH.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

SwampDonkey

It's been there for a long time, but in the 90's most mills in the province had some upgrades. Fraser Papers has operated in Maine for 77 years, primarily at Fraser's largest manufacturing facility in Madawaska, Maine. Major capital investment at the Fraser mill between 1995 and 2001 totaled $91,076,410 and included upgrades to three paper machines. That facility would also be shut down if they didn't upgrade. The groundwood mill in Edmundston supplies the pulp to the facility in Maine, where over 1000 are employed.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pappy

Whoa SD,

This is starting to look scary for the upper Saint John River valley!!!   :(

Fraser has been a long time employer in these parts... I've got friends who work in the Madawaska mill 

Those are good paying jobs !!
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Thank You Sponsors!