iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I think I caught a Fisher Cat on my game cam?

Started by Piston, November 18, 2013, 03:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I really think John is right. Us members for Maine have to stick together.   :D  I did a google on both. I have never neither,but from what I saw on google I would say a marten too. Gotta love the Star Wars.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

RynSmith

Ken

My vote is fisher.  Although I have seen several I do not recall one with that much white on the chest.  Generally they look like a big black cat.  Looks far too big for a marten. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

pappy19

I believe it is a Fisher even though I have never seen one in the wild, I have had some experiences with martins. My most memorable was on an elk/deer hunting trip years ago in the Idaho wilderness. An afternoon hunt and I was on a rocky ridge looking down into a small canyon. I heard a noise and out of the woods next to me a martin came out and started to look me over. He was about 25 feet away and was trying to wind me. He kept on coming closer and closer until he was about 10 feet away. At this point he cocked up his leg and *pithed like a dog on a small dead branch on the ground. He then came within 2 feet of me and I moved my foot and he ran off. That was the best wildlife experience that I have ever had, even as a forester in the woods all day for many years. Martins are fairly common in Idaho and their main diet is the red pine squirrel with an occasional grouse. Martins are a reddish-brown with lighter colors at the tips. I have a really nice martin skin hat thet I got in Alaska. The pictures that I have seen of fishers shows that their fur is dark brown and they are much larger than a martin.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

SwampDonkey

Fisher. I've seen them on occasion, mostly along the woods roads near streams. Mostly because that's where the mature woods are left along the buffers. My grandfather and his brother were fir trappers, but that certainly doesn't make me an expert by a long shot. But I have seen all kind of martens and many of them in a logging camp. Did I ever tell the tale of the marten in the lunch bag? Maybe so.  :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

Did you try petting it on the head? If it bites off one finger, it's a marten, if it gets two or more, most likely a fisher. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ReggieT

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ReggieT

We've got some super sized swamp rabbits & rather burly/mean possums in my area...kinda like to see how a fisher or martin would fare one on one against either of them!!  ;)

RynSmith

My money is on that one (the marten/fisher).  Let me know when it's time.  ;D

SwampDonkey

A fisher will kill and eat a porcupine and use the quills as a toothpick. So them rabbits would be a nice treat. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Piston

According to the MA hunting abstracts, I can trap, but not hunt fishers.  Looks like I'm going to have to trap this bugger simply to settle the debate  :D :D :D 

But like John says, regardless of what it is, it's neat to see.  Plus, it gives us something to talk about  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Piston

Quote from: thecfarm on November 25, 2013, 10:16:56 AM
Trap it alive and do the finger test.  :D

I'll trap it, and bring it to you for the finger test  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

thecfarm

Hey,don't bring it to me. Bring it to Dave. He's the one that came up with the finger identification idea.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!