iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler issues - heat exchanger not heating up?

Started by Kemper, November 02, 2019, 03:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemper

I have a CB 6048, our pump went bad so I replaced it last week (when I first started this years fire). Our water is getting hot, good water heat in shower, but our heat exchanger that sits in the duct work is only warm at the very bottom. I'm guessing maybe some of the pump might have got lodged in an elbow of the radiator? Has anyone ever had this issue? What the best way to flush the heat exchanger? Thanks in advance. Any other ideas what the problem could be?

wiam

Could be air trapped in the exchanger from when you changed the pump. I would try bleeding at the top of the exchanger. 

Kemper

hedgerow

Getting the air out of these systems can be tricky. Does the system have a Y strainer that could have gotten plugged after the pump change out? I run them ahead of all my heat exchanger's so the strainer gets plugged not the exchanger. 

Kemper

Quote from: hedgerow on November 03, 2019, 10:29:19 AM
Getting the air out of these systems can be tricky. Does the system have a Y strainer that could have gotten plugged after the pump change out? I run them ahead of all my heat exchanger's so the strainer gets plugged not the exchanger.
Not to my knowledge, I talked to someone far more experienced than me and he seems to think it's got air trapped in the heat exchanger. I tried a couple of things today to force the air out, but didn't have any luck. He will be in my neck of the woods next weekend, so I might have to wait that long. Not the end of the world.

Ivan49

Is there a facet plumbed into you line somewhere and can you shut the water flow off on each side of your heat exchanger? If there is an easy way to get air out is hook a water hose up to the facet and open the valve at heat exchanger wide open. On the outlet side shut this vale off and crack it open. The water pressure from the hose will force the air out of it. You can hear it gurgling on the part open valve. When it stops gurgling he air is out. I usually do mine every yer because I have lines run overhead and when I shut my pump off it backflows to the furnace. I took the check valve out of the pump and if I had left it in it would not do this

Kemper

I tried something similar to that and may try it again. I could hear gurgling in the tank.

Logging logginglogging

How much of the pump "disk" was left when you removed the old pump? 

Kemper

Quote from: Logging logginglogging on November 07, 2019, 08:40:54 AM
How much of the pump "disk" was left when you removed the old pump?
After I pulled the cartridge out it wasn't as bad as I'd expected. I'm starting to think my problem might be some type of algae. It's black and some what shinny and basically will crumble in your hand if you hold it. It seems to be all through my system. I have some sludge remover ordered and will drain the tank after running it for  a few days.

Thank You Sponsors!