iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry mulcher help

Started by davidn3, May 01, 2019, 06:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Unless your skidsteer has a variable displacement load sensing hydraulic system (which I doubt it does) running at low rpms cuts you hydraulic flow rate. I have limited hydraulic knowledge, but from what I've seen your flow rating is typically at full throttle or very close to it. If that's 2800 rpm and 30 gallons a minute flow (just throwing numbers out) if you are running at 1400 rpm your flow is cut in half, and your engine hp is going to be at full rpm as well. So if your running it idle back, you're lacking flow and power. I'll idle machine back a bit when I'm moving lumber with the forks etc (slows the hydraulics down so I'm not throwing stuff all over😉) and I don't feel like listening to the engine scream. But if I'm digging and working it, full throttle all the way! I spent many hours in skid steers on a residential paving crew, when we were excavating and prepping jobs those machines spent the whole day wide open. It's what they're designed to run.
Too many irons in the fire

pine

Any pictures of your carbides. Front and side view.  Can give you some help on whether they are worn out or not.
My mulcher has seen about 98% of its life at 100% power. Warm up, cool down and loading/unloading from transport is the only time it is not full throttle.  One small side benefit of that much time at full throttle is it does not need go into regen much.

davidn3

Used it today at 2400rpm.  Worked much better. Anything 3" and less it mowed down pretty fast without a problem.   4" and greater would get used for firewood or the sawmill.  Stumps, dead standing, and rotten blow down I have to take my time.  Just need the gauge fixed.  I wasn't able to upload pictures.    A rubber tracked machine is not an option in my area.  The rocks would tear through the tracks within hours doing dirt work.  After using a wheeled machine with grouser, I'd would never consider rubber tracks.

sandyo

You all have something to offer in your comments. I have an old Bobcat 970 diesel , old Case 350 tracked loader and a Cat 416B extendible hoe. None of these are appropriate for mulching , however the Bobcat may be a capable machine if in addition to attaching a mulching head I also attach a power unit to drive the mulcher . How neat is that ? Hope to hear comments .
Also all comments were about the rotor style mulching head . Is the Disc style comparable ?

Ed_K

In the truck and equipment there's an add for a Seppi mini bms mulcher fits 5 to 10 ton machine and needs 11 to 26 GPM.
Ed K

thedoublejranch

Quote from: davidn3 on May 01, 2019, 06:24:17 PM
Just purchased a bobcat 60" forestry mulcher.  Was excited to try it out and wasn't impressed.   Running it on a bobcat 2013 s750 (85hp)  with grouser tracks.  It seemed to bog and stop spinning way more than expected.   Espesualy with stumps (pine).  I was running at 1700 rpm, which is more than I normally run it.  The carbide teeth seem to be pretty dull but none broken.  Do I need new teeth?  $80 a tooth kind of sucks right off the get go.  Run more rpm?  Nowhere does bobcat state what rpm I get that 85hp at.  Also the pressure gauge on the front isn't working.  Is it worth my time fixing it?  For the most part it runs.  Just want more optimal use out of the 18k I just spent.
I just had 40 acres thinned and mulched. It was a nice cost share program with my state, still spendy.

I spoke to the company owner, he used an ASV, he said its the only one with 120HP, this unit was almost brand new. He had others, ie Cat, Case etc. He loved this unit. He said the HP is king, his other rigs were 100HP and he was complaining. You mention 85 HP, maybe too light for the implement?

A few pics of the machine and the finished product. Yes, it was snowing all day, nothing stuck, just cold as heck.

The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

Thank You Sponsors!