iDRY Vacuum Kilns

technical issues with the new server.

Started by doc henderson, January 30, 2024, 08:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Hello forumites.  I kind of ran this past Jeff.  we can continue to post issues here and there.  rather posting at the time and place and thread it is happening in, I wondered if it might be better to consolidate issues with the new server, in one spot, such as here.  No one is upset with how it is going, but this way the folks trying to work out bugs, can find them all in one spot.  also, for Longterm sake (as some use this forum to make a historical record of many things) it would keep comments about photos and links, ect. that are not currently working, out of threads like the weather and what-cha-makin ect.  Just a thought.  New visitors ect. will not see all the issues, and the long-term folks can help with the process that Jeff is painstakingly working through.  Best regards all.  Doc.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

Thanks Doc. Please, when you report, be detailed. Dont just tell me you was doing something and got an error. Please be as detailed as you can, and include the error if it will post.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

Great idea Doc, I was just thinking that this afternoon because I am learning form all the smart folks out there how to solve issues without posting them myself. I think this would help us all leverage other folks learning and corrective actions. I believe a lot of these issues are just because it's different and we have not quite figured out how to make it work for us yet. I did figure out that if you want a degree symbol (°) you can hold down your ALT key and type in '248' on the numeric pad to get it. This works on PC, not sure about Macs, and phones.
 Also I see that new photos are not kept in the gallery, just in the post and was having trouble understanding where they went. Now that I understand that's just how it is, I understand and can work with that. Just growing pains is all.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

How about starting a companion topic guys on things you may have found fixed, or a local fix. Im stll thinking some people should delete all cookes and temp files would help.

Old Greenhorn

Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Magicman

On a MAC laptop, shift & option held down simultaneously and then 8 makes the ° symbol.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Quote from: Magicman on January 30, 2024, 08:55:59 PMOn a MAC laptop, shift & option held down simultaneously and then 8 makes the ° symbol.

Huh?

Magicman

And then I just googled and found out that option plus the numeral 0 makes a slightly larger º symbol.

Yup, a mac keyboard is slightly different:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

I'm missing something. I dont understand what that has to do with the current issues

Magicman

In Reply #2, OGH was telling how to produce the º symbol on a Windows machine.  I was carrying it further and sharing how to make the º symbol on a mac machine.

Old Greenhorn

I typed this whole thing out earlier but before I could post it, my dang cat walked across the keyboard and wiped it all out. I don't think Jeff or Lurk can fix that. ;D So here it is again (for me, first time for y'all).
----------------------------------------------

I had my first DB error this morning. There were 4 photos of mine that did not make it through the transition (out of over 2,000, which is amazing) and one of my posts didn't make a lot of sense without the photos. I figure maybe my post coincided with when Jeff closed the gallery down, it was dang close. But no problem, they were the easiest photos to find and fix.

So I went to the post, hit modify, and found the links to the (now) blanks files. I deleted the links, then dragged my resized copied of the photos into the post. Easy. Then I added a little text explaining the edit and hit 'save'. That's when I got the error. I clicked on the 'go back' bu8tton and the post was there, but without the edits. I used my 'previous page' function in my browser and found the edited version of my post and copied it. But try as I might, I can't get it to take.

I am wondering if the glitch is in the modify routine because when you hit 'save' it doesn't seem to recognize and hold the changes. I dunno, just spitballing here. I waited 2 hours, logged out and in again and it's still the same.
 This is NOT something that should waste anybody's time. I am just putting it here to document it. I may mess around and see if it is the 'modify' function that has an issue, or changing the photos.

Old Greenhorn

Yes, I just confirmed, it's not the photo thing. I just went and tried to correct the spelling on one word in the post (2 letters) and I got the same error.
I repeated it by trying to add a word at the bottom of the post, same error. Looks like something going on with "modify".

EDIT: Nope I was wrong. I just modified this post 3 times with no errors. Maybe it has something to do with the post I was modifying?

Old Greenhorn

Interesting, on that previous post here I can modify it all I want with no issues. If I go back to the post I was trying to fix, open it in modify and just try to save it immediately with no actual changes, I still get the DB error message. This is most curious. Could it be the age of the post, or the size, or the fact that it was posted before the upgrade and there is a version conflict? For now I will bet on this last one and let it go.

I will say this brings me back to a similar project I worked on about 7 years ago migrating our company to a totally new ERP system. We had 20 people working on that for almost two years in prep, then several months of 'not so good sledding' after the switch. We migrated many millions of records, and data checking was not fun at all. Just getting sucked in on this one little issue which has consumed my entire morning reminds me just how difficult and maddening this whole process is. I don't miss it, but BOY do I have empathy.

jpassardi

I can't add smileys to a reply or PM.
Note: this is only if I have text in the reply as well as a smiley. I can put a smiley by itself in a reply. -see following reply below

I get: Database Error
Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

jpassardi

Old Greenhorn

21 gave me a hint on another thread. I went back to that old post and used quick edit instead of modify. That allowed me to make any changes I wanted except that I can't add photos in that format.
 So what I take from this is there is some sort of functional difference between quick edit and modify. It doesn't solve my issue of reuploading photos on that post, but no matter. I think it's a clue. If one gives you problems, try to other.
 JP, I have no idea why you are having that problem  :(  are you using a phone or a PC/Mac? That might be part of it. Just guessing here.

21incher

Thanks OGH I didn't know this existed.  if I type a couple lines of text, won't  preview or post. If I type the first word and post, then quick edit everything works.  Android 13 on a Samsung galaxy tablet.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

jpassardi

OGH: Yes, odd I know. Typing on a PC. :)
I just typed : then ) above and that works in quick edit

:o

I can add from the pick list if it's on another line but not on the same line >:(

OK, I just figured out the deal: it doesn't allow a space between the text and the smiley character. The one above has no space.

Old Greenhorn

Well, with regard to fixing photos in that old thread I figured it out. Turns out, fixing the post was not the way to go. Better to fix the blank photos in my gallery now that Jeff has the gallery in ship shape. I edited each of the 4 blank photos and reuploaded the same photos over them. This automatically showed up in the post. I did get one 'internal server error' but the photo shows up and I am going no further. I see no reason to ever need this again. I just wanted to fix those 4 blank photos and have the post show up correctly so all could be right with the world. ;D
Now I can finally get out to the shop and do some work. I spent 6 hours on this, can you imagine how much time the guys doing the real work are putting in? That thread is FOUND HERE in case you're interested.

doc henderson

OK, I got to my gallery and switched to thumbnail and can see my pics.  I should get back to posting with pics soon.  I am just taking my time.  thanks all.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

21incher

I noticed something strange last night.  Decided  to try a different browser so I shut  down Chrome and switched to Vivaldi that is more  secure.  Went  to the forum and saw I was showing as a guest but I was showing as being on the forum.  Was able  to log in and try to post with same issues.  Logged out and it showed guest but the forum  still shows me as being on it. Then went to the Windows 11 pc and checked  in Chrome.  It showed me as a guest with log in available  but also showed me as being online even with the tablet shut down. Looks like I may start logging out everytime I use the forum and not stay logged  in because it seem to be hit and miss about releasing the tracking  cookies in Android  Chrome. Never  saw this before.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Jeff

Your name remains on the list 20 minutes

Jeff

I currently can not create a topic or send a message. Rusticreator, I can't reply to you. The database types are all over the place. know any experts?

doc henderson

I cleared temp files and testing to see if I can post.

Edit:  yippie!

rusticretreater

@Jeff, ok we are on to something here.

First, is it possible to compare the current db with the old db?  The creation SQL should have the encoding type listed.

This is something quite dangerous to undertake as a mistake can have serious consequences. Am I correct in thinking this is a MYSQL database?  Who established the Dbase? The ISP? What requirements does the Forum software docs state?

I do not know of anyone that I can recommend.    What I would suggest is that a duplicate database be set up with correct language settings called for by the software.  Your transfer data set from the old forum loaded into it and checked for correctness.  Then some form of ETL to bring the new DB uptodate from the corrupted database. Then slide the new DB under the forum software.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post