iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flat sawed vs. rift

Started by D6c, November 21, 2019, 01:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

Been finishing red oak window molding for my house and not surprisingly, there is quite a difference between individual pieces of molding.

First pic shows difference in flat sawed and rift.  Personally I prefer the rift piece with straight grain which is consistent on all edges, and it takes stain more evenly.  Flat sawed piece is ok too but some of the pieces can have pretty wild grain.
The 2nd pic is of a REALLY flat sawed piece that has very little grain, and isn't very attractive.  Probably won't use it.

My question is, is there a difference in value between flat and rift sawed material?  If it were fully quarter sawed I can see it being higher value but wasn't sure about rift.

BTW....is it "sawed" or "sawn"?  spell check doesn't recognize sawn, which is what I usually say.

Ianab

I don't think there is a difference in value, but there certainly is in appearance. If you are quarter-sawing or using a swing blade mill you end up with a bit of rift sawn material as a by product anyway.  It's usual use is for things like table legs, where all 4 faces are visible, and it's nice if they all show similar grain. So you might sort those boards out into a different stack, just based on appearance. 

And according to Dictionary.com, sawn is a word

Quoteverb - a past participle of saw

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

YellowHammer

We get the same price for either flat or rift sawn wood.

In the redneck world, "sawed" is a real word, too.  

For example "I sawed that big buck deer run across the holler, did you seed him too?"
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Ljohnsaw

I thought sawn was the past tense of seen...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

terrifictimbersllc

I sawed 1636 bf today. Nothing wrong with my math or grammar. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

scsmith42

We sell rift oak for a significant upcharge (same as low fleck quartersawn).  It's pretty much that way across most major resellers.

KD FSWO may start in the $2.50 - $3.00 bd ft range, whereas KD RSWO will start at $4.25 bd ft and go up based upon width.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

moodnacreek

Rift and quartered lumber is superior to flat sawn. Very little to no shrinkage in width. Stronger and great bending strength. No tear out when planning.  When doing it intentionally [on the mill] it is alot of extra work and the boards tend to pull from the heart [ they bow]  but is is the best lumber by far.

WDH

If I sort it out, I charge a little more for rift sawn. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Percy

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 21, 2019, 03:10:07 PM
We get the same price for either flat or rift sawn wood.

In the redneck world, "sawed" is a real word, too.  

For example "I sawed that big buck deer run across the holler, did you seed him too?"
In Canuckistan....."It were rainin this mornin but then the sawn came out "
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Southside

I sawed where the kews got out at Yellow Hammers a few years back and done git up in the door yard, stove things all up.... ;D  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Raym

'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

WDH

Some of this conversation is flat sawed and some of it is riffted. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!