iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hand filing

Started by pobs, December 01, 2019, 07:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pobs

Is their a jig to hand file band saw blades?

Brad_bb

I'm not aware of anything.  I send my blades in to Woodmizer for resharpening.  It's not worth my time to me.  I'd rather spend that time sawing or doing some other work.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

barbender

Bandsaw blades are hardened beyond what you can cut with a regular file. You'd need a diamond or stone file of some sort. And it's a LOT of teeth.
Too many irons in the fire

Woodpecker52

Just use a old hand saw clamp and diamond stones, got mine from HF.  Easy to match angles and tip the top.  Takes about 10 minutes you will learn and it will take the mystery out of sharpening a blade.  I went from this to a modified chainsaw sharpener that has a head that is adjustable.  I think I paid about 130 from NT<a href="Knock off product position Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company</a>.  Had to modify the holder just added aluminum ones about 4 inches long and 1 1/8 inches tall.  Works as good as any high dollar one just have to advance by hand, no big deal takes about 4 minutes.  I think I have sharpened some blades about 8 times.  Any hair line cracks I just grind them out with a small rotary file, stops them in their tracks.  I don't worry about the profile of gullet just flatten the front at the right angle and come back with small diamond stone and remove bur at the top.  Most blades will break and weaken from the natural flexing from wheel rotation before you will wear out the point.  I have found out that the set is the most important factor when sharpening.  I always set them more than they recommend. Less heat especially when cutting hardwood.  I also like a thinner blade and 1.25 wide I hate the bigger and thicker blades.  I would like to try the timber wolf blades next.  The ones I use on my woodshop band saw are like razors and cut walnut and hickory like butter.  Anyway don't be afraid to experiment with hand sharpening I did most by freehand a good set of magnifying glasses and extra light helps a lot.  I just cut for a hobby and my own use now,  I am retired and last thing I want is to be is  stressed with customers and higher equipment costs.  Start with a couple of old blades and experiment till you get it right.  It is not rocket science.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

moodnacreek

I would think a hand saw clamp could be used. On coarse rip teeth; file by eye as a jig would be too slow. Set can be more important than sharpness.

Thank You Sponsors!