iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm nervous! Send help

Started by daltonk58, March 06, 2016, 07:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

You never lose money on a job you don't take.
Boy, back in my day..

lshobie

My crawler loader barely picked up this 14 footer - 18 inches at the butt - red oak.  it lifted the log and the hydraulics would settle to the ground without lever input.  your mill will collapse under the weight of bigger ones and youll never get it straight again.   I bought an alaskan mill to mill these up.

Have fun!
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

WDH

I swear off really big logs every time I try to saw them  :).  My 56 HP tractor limits the size of log that I can pick up and move.  If i can't pick it up with the tractor, I will not mill it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Swamp Fox

I think you made the right choice. That feeling that was making you nervous is your instincts telling you don't do it. I wish I had listened to mine more.

outpost22

I admire you for taking the voice of experience (guys here) and listening to it.  That puts you one step ahead of me when I was 26. I lost 10K on a job due to inexperience and took years to recover from it.  That lesson later saved me probably 100K in the future as I never repeated it.  Just be glad YOU saved the 10K before a hard lesson was learned  :embarassed:
Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

Brucer

I've turned down jobs that I thought were beyond my capability -- but I always told the customer exactly why. In a couple of cases the customers came up with alternatives that worked for both of us. The rest respected my decision.

I also once took on a job that was a little past the capabilities of my manual mill. Before I agreed to do the job I told the customer I wasn't sure my mill could handle it, but the only way to find out was to give it a try. He liked my attitude. As it turned out, I got the job done -- took a week to do but it felt like I'd done a month's worth of work. That led to a 5-year working relationship, plus a new hydraulic mill ;D.

It really helps to do the job on paper first -- what steps are you going to take, what equipment will you need, how will you ensure your (and your mill's) safety? How long will it take? What could go wrong?
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!