Previous topic - Next topic

Forester Frank

Question for all members of the forum?

Does wood float?

Analytical thinkers welcome.
;)
Forester Frank

Ron Wenrich

Only if the specific gravity is less than that of water.

Of course that is dependent on the amount of air space in the wood itself.

I remember hearing that in SE Asia, they have to cut the trees, and allow them to dry before then can raft them downriver.  Can't remember the species.  Teak?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

Frank,
Have you read the book Underwater Logging?
~Ron

Jeff

Ron, I see on your website That ARC does underwater mapping and surveys. That sounds interesting, do these services sometimes have something to do with underwater logging? Why would you need underwater mapping other then obvious reasons such as depths for navigation and such?

Last modification: Jeff B - 02/01/01 at 20:00:36
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

I co-authored the book Underwater Logging with master diver Jack Cayford of Bangor Maine, published by Cornell-Maritime Press back in
1964. It has to with underwater log salvage which I did back in the 1960's and still consult some on.
The underwater surveys has to do with mapping bottoms, checking dams and bridge footings, fish habitat structures, municipal water systems, zebra mussels, archaeological surveys, shipwrecks, etc. I'm not as active as I use to be in this though as age creeps up on me.
~Ron

Forester Frank

I knew you guys would get this one. I was looking for an answer that had to do with woody cell structure and air space and specific gravity. Thanks.
Forester Frank

WV Sawmiller

I know this is an ancient thread but Ron S shocked it back to life so I will reply to Ron W's comment about cutting and drying logs to float them out. As a child I remember my grandfather talking about girdling cypress in Fla. They would die on the stump then be cut and rafted out when the water levels raised enough. I think this was common in Mississippi and Louisiana in places too. 

I remember a neighbor commenting about sycamore one time. He described it as our only local wood that would not float. Evidently it was that dense.

On the flip side Balsa is one of the most buoyant woods and we saw lots of homes built on the Amazon River in Peru that were built on balsa logs and moored along the river. They just rose and fell with the river level.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Texas Ranger

An anecdote:  We lived on a river that had an island across from our land that was thick with every size sycamore.  We needed a bird house post, so I crossed by boat, cut a 6 inch at base and 20 foot tall sycamore.  Hauled it to the river, thru it in, where it promptly sank, that was 60 years ago.  It may now be a sinker bird house pole.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!