iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rocky Mountain Front

Started by tule peak timber, November 29, 2019, 11:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

So two days ago a weather front came through the Rockies shutting down airports and roads and I'm fishing for trout-no matter what.When it hit full force it was like a wall of weather with snow, high winds, and 9-11 degrees temp.I had to quit and hole up in a bar along with a bunch of local hunters buying each other drinks.By 10 AM I was not fit to tie a knot .
  Lots of offers to stay in folks homes as the roads were closed back to the Great Falls airport. Terrific bunch of people in that neck of the woods for sure.
  Like an idiot I chose to jump in my car and many hours later , after seeing one or two other cars in 80 miles, got back to my hotel in white out conditions.
  I had lots of 15 inch fish and one at 26 inches and farmed an even bigger one that at least I got to see. I learned a great deal about stream fishing when it is cold- guides/lines freezing and everything I touched sticking to my fingers.The biggest problem for me was snow covered boulders on the climb down to an invisible water's edge- lots of bumps and bruises to say the least.Slow going and very tricky......
  Not my first trip to the Front and I will return in April to get the big one that got away.

After some wicked weather in Montana I come home to this...LOL

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

sawguy21

Glad you made it in spite of some poor choices. :o My rods are put away for the winter, I don't fish when I have to break ice out of the tip.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Nebraska

Ahhh, very nice fish, cold weather fishing is tough.

Roxie

Sounds like a blast!  I've got to ask, is the mounted cougar in the bar or decor in the cabin you were staying in? 
Say when

nativewolf

I guess after the droughts that white stuff at home was at least a form of moisture, much needed.Fires are out for the season in CA it seems.  

Liking Walnut

tule peak timber

Quote from: Roxie on November 29, 2019, 06:18:35 PM
Sounds like a blast!  I've got to ask, is the mounted cougar in the bar or decor in the cabin you were staying in?
The cougar and elk mounts are at the Sun Canyon lodge , where I ate breakfast-close to the continental divide.I stayed in Great falls so I could range east as well as west in search of trout. The Buckhorn in Augusta is a focal point for hunters and I dropped in several times keeping my ears open........  Last  September I went North and South in this area looking around.Only 4 days this trip but a lot of ground  covered. I had a 15 inch brown 30 minutes out of the airport.
  Both trips were a blast I love the area.I'm the only guy in eye shot for a hundred miles stalking streams, the locals find me amusing at best in this weather.Trout fear me.......
   My goal in life is to buy a section of land in this area, with water, and go out of this life in the gut of a Grizzly.

tule peak timber

Quote from: nativewolf on November 29, 2019, 06:23:34 PM
I guess after the droughts that white stuff at home was at least a form of moisture, much needed.Fires are out for the season in CA it seems.  
Yes we welcome all moisture no matter what. We have had precious little this year.

Roxie

So, 'A River Runs Through It' and 'Legends of the Fall' about sums it up.  :)
Say when

Skip

Fly or spinning gear ? Love it !! ;D

doc henderson

Quote from: tule peak timber on November 29, 2019, 11:36:59 AM
So two days ago a weather front came through the Rockies shutting down airports and roads and I'm fishing for trout-no matter what.When it hit full force it was like a wall of weather with snow, high winds, and 9-11 degrees temp.I had to quit and hole up in a bar along with a bunch of local hunters buying each other drinks.By 10 AM I was not fit to tie a knot .

so when you cannot tie a knot, you "tie one on"!  looks like a real adventure.  glad you are home safe.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

I want to buy a second home in N.Montana and all my friends tell me that I'm not not going to be able to handle the weather. To a great degree --they are right . I had an absolute blast and learned a great deal. There is no way I'm going to load in if I don't see the place in winter and understand what I'm getting into.
   Not enough unfrozen surface to cast lures so I just stuck to worms and drifting down current under the ice edges.
  I was a commercial fisherman for quite a while and the adventure part of this trip reminded me of Alaska long lining in the winter, exhilarating and alive.
  A curious effect is that in low temps and high winds there is good traction on the roads-but you just cannot see anything ahead.

Andries

We play in the same backyard Rob.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

tule peak timber

Slow--steady---and live to tell the tale ! Be careful out there :)

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Southside

Man that's a lot of sawdust blowing around - must be a really large mill there..... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

One thing I've noticed out in the mountain west, that is very different than Minnesota- the climate and weather can vary a LOT depending on your location. I know some of the valleys, even up into Montana, can have pretty mild winters (this is relative, I am from northern MN😁). But the weather can also be more severe, what we call a blizzard here would often go unnoticed out West. Maybe you should come spend a winter with us up in MN, then everywhere else (except maybe the North Slope😁) will seem kind of mild😊 Oh yeah, "It was a good death."😉
Too many irons in the fire

Gearbox

I have been over Rogers many times . I like the area around Lincoln best .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Magicman

There is no way to not have an enjoyable time in Montana or any of the West-NW.  Bad is good and I guess that worse is even better.  I did find out in October, 1973, that even a simple mistake can/will get us Southern Flatlanders in serious trouble.  It's not the same game and the Rockies have their own rules.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

K-Guy

I knew a couple spots outside of Enderby, BC where I could go in the winter to fish streams. Generally they have mild winters there and sometimes the fishing wasn't bad but mostly small rainbows 6-8 inches long. But my worst day of fishing still beats my best day at work!!

Andries
I remember being out in Winterpeg (Winnepeg for the rest of you. ;D) and driving in that stuff around there. 

Magicman
Whenever you get out into the real wild areas, you have to remember you are now playing by natures rules and Mother Nature has a steep learning curve. :D

Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

reride82

Looks like you had quite the time Rob! :D That was a fun storm for sure, I made a round trip to Lewistown(Central MT) Wednesday Afternoon through Thursday night. What usually takes 3.5-4 hours, took most of 6 hours.  I love the Gibson Reservoir/Sun River/ Bob Marshall area! I haven't done it yet, but you should look into the South Fork of the Flathead River float. Either hike or pack into the upper basin and float/fish your way out. Beings it is a wilderness area there isn't any motorized traffic which reduces the fishing pressure. Basically, its 40 miles of the best cutthroat fishing in Montana. You should also give the Big Hole River and Clark Fork River a visit as well :D Just remember, Winter isn't always done in April up here ::)

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

quilbilly

Gonna be in Montana with my pops, FIL, and little boy for fishing next summer hopefully.
a man is strongest on his knees

blackfoot griz

The weather is crazy here in MT. I currently live in Lakeside, MT on the Northwest corner of Flathead Lake. That storm Rob was part of dumped nearly four feet of snow on my friends farm in Conrad, MT which is about 100 miles east of Lakeside. We didn't get any of it here.  There is snow in the surrounding mountains here now, but not a trace in the yard.

tule peak timber

Quote from: reride82 on December 02, 2019, 12:06:55 PM
Looks like you had quite the time Rob! :D That was a fun storm for sure, I made a round trip to Lewistown(Central MT) Wednesday Afternoon through Thursday night. What usually takes 3.5-4 hours, took most of 6 hours.  I love the Gibson Reservoir/Sun River/ Bob Marshall area! I haven't done it yet, but you should look into the South Fork of the Flathead River float. Either hike or pack into the upper basin and float/fish your way out. Beings it is a wilderness area there isn't any motorized traffic which reduces the fishing pressure. Basically, its 40 miles of the best cutthroat fishing in Montana. You should also give the Big Hole River and Clark Fork River a visit as well :D Just remember, Winter isn't always done in April up here ::)

Levi
Levi, another great spot is where the Thompson river joins the Clark Fork near Thompson Falls. Catch and release, artificials only and fast water. The locals use fly gear- and I used a bass plug on ultralight spin gear with terrific results. 26 inch rainbow and lots of browns the first day. The lower river is full of big fish !

Thank You Sponsors!