iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rocky Mountain Oysters

Started by Mooseherder, February 01, 2014, 09:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

We went to the Fair Wednesday Night.  It was raining and attendance was really sparse.
There is a permanent section at the Fairgrounds called Yesteryear Village with quite a few buildings, exhibits and history of old Florida living.
This is my favorite part of going there.  One of the buildings is an old Florida cabin with a great big cooking area in front of it.  I know the guy who mans the exhibit.  We work for the same outfit.  Bob is an avid Game hunter and also guides Wild Boar hunts in his off time.  He has quite an arrangement with a few large landowners who are happy to have him manage the wildlife.  He had a dead hog hanging in the Cabin.
It was dark but I took a few pictures of the set-up and also took a video of my Son In Law trying an Oyster.  I thought he knew what Rocky Mountain Oysters were.  He didn't.
What you don't see in the video is my other daughter's fiancĂ©.  He quietly is walking away when Bob asked us if we wanted to try them. :D
The oysters are to the right of the pan on the grate.  I guess he had taken them out of the pan because they were done.  He still had wild hog sausage with scotch bonnet peppers in the pan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiN94yF83wg&feature=c4-overview&list=UUoK01ereAGdikRqDj00MmYA

The other side of the Cook's set up.  He had some Swamp cabbage in one pot and beans in the other.  Those are Spareribs on the Spit.

They have a smoke house a couple exhibits down.  I don't know what was in there but the window was warm.

Magicman

He said "good".   :D  Rooster Fries are better.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thurlow

Unlike the farmer who had a pig walking around in the backyard on a peg-leg (he's too good a pig to eat all at once), I could never eat part of anything that's still alive.  (Milk and eggs don't count)  I understand that in this case, it may or may not be true.  We ran a lot of cattle for a lot of years and made steers out of a lot of bull calves, but I never ate any of the removed parts, though occasionally I would have an employee who would ask me to save 'em for him.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

jdtuttle

When I lived in Montana about 30 years ago, I helped a rancher out on spring roundups. At the end of the day the cook would fry up rocky mountain oysters over an open fire with butter & garlic. It was pretty good.
Have a great day

goose63

NO WAY IN H--- YOU KEEP EM  :-X ;D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

pappy19

2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawguy21

Quote from: goose63 on February 01, 2014, 05:42:15 PM
They are probably quite tasty, it's our preconceived notions that get in the way. Other cultures eat and thrive on insects, rodents and whatever else happens to be available, either that or starve. It is all in what we have become accustomed to. Some here even eat GRITTZ. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 01, 2014, 09:34:49 PM
Quote from: goose63 on February 01, 2014, 05:42:15 PM
They are probably quite tasty, it's our preconceived notions that get in the way. Other cultures eat and thrive on insects, rodents and whatever else happens to be available, either that or starve. It is all in what we have become accustomed to. Some here even eat GRITTZ. ;D

Yes...but my Grits come in a bag.......not a sack.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Mooseherder

It tasted like a chicken gizzard crossed with beef liver.
I threw mine in the fire when he wasn't looking. :D

hardtailjohn

One of the best things about the old neighborhood brandings was the oysters served at the dinner that night! That's good eating right there!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

m wood

[/quote]

Yes...but my Grits come in a bag.......not a sack.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
[/quote]

:) :) :)  Poston !!  You did NOT just go there, did you??

I had 'em once at a wild game Legion dinner.  Not bad!  But then again, Ive tried grits too ;D
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Ocklawahaboy

Mooseherder, where in the great state of Florida were you?  It looks like a good time.

Mooseherder

Just west of West Palm.  The Fairgrounds is on Southern Blvd.

Ocklawahaboy

People forget how rural the western parts of those south FL counties are.

drobertson

I've tried the most golden brown fried RMO's and if memory serves me, I trashed it while no one was looking too.  Some folks really like em'  I'm not one of them,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ocklawahaboy

It should also be mentioned that with florida's proximity to salt water and the availability of real oysters, one should never have to stoop to the rocky mountain variety.  Fried mollusks also go well with grits. Raw mollusks go well with beer.

Mooseherder

I like my mollusks fried or boiled but never raw. :)
Too much could go wrong with that.  Filter feeders are filtering whatever is in that water. :-\

WDH

You are what you eat  :D. 

SD must be a crumpet  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pappy19

When I guided hunters in Montana, the old guide I worked under would cut out the bull elk "oysters" first and save them for frying first when we cooked the elk liver for dinner. I tasted one and it was better than bull fries but not as good as calf fries, but lamb fries are still the best and really good.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

yukon cornelius

when I was younger we worked calves twice a year. castrating and vaccinating. the highlight of the day of hard work was rocky mountain oysters fried up by my grandma for dinner.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Mooseherder on February 04, 2014, 04:47:08 PM
I like my mollusks fried or boiled but never raw. :)
Too much could go wrong with that.  Filter feeders are filtering whatever is in that water. :-\

That's why you have the beer with them.  The more you drink, the less chance of bacteria.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Don_Papenburg

If they taste anything ,just a teny tiny bit like liver I ain't eaten them.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

pappy19

They taste just like chicken balls only with a beefy flavor.  :)
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

goose63

Quote from: pappy19 on February 04, 2014, 09:08:56 PM
When I guided hunters in Montana, the old guide I worked under would cut out the bull elk "oysters" first and save them for frying first when we cooked the elk liver for dinner. I tasted one and it was better than bull fries but not as good as calf fries, but lamb fries are still the best and really good.
In Nam I et monkey snake  dog and I don't know what  but it stops there you keep the nuts ::) ::) ::)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!