iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid steer, Newholland ?s

Started by moosehunter, August 16, 2012, 01:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

A good friend asked me what I know about Newholland skid steers. Not much says I but I know people that do!!
The machine he is looking at is a 2001 LS180, 67hp three cylinder diesel (made in england- is it a Perkins??), 4500 hours, solid tires, comes with tracks. When we go to look at it what kind of things are we looking for? What is a fair price range?
Any thoughts / suggestions are welcome.

thank you,
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

beenthere

Engine, according to specs, is New Holland.
http://www.asaprent.com/NH-specs/02-g-LS180B.pdf

There are LS 180 on Google search for around $10k

Hope it looks and runs ok.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

I can't answer specifically to that model however my bud the tree trimmer has either a 55 delux or a 550 delux ,forget which .It's around 45 HP and pound for pound I 'd put it up against any Bobcat I've ever ran of that size .

I've hauled logs out of the woods that were probabley close to 2500 pounds with no problem although I might add that heavy you want to carry them as low as possible .

T Welsh

moosehunter, We have a LS180 with 5000+ hrs on it. We use it very hard and it has held up very good. They are well built machines, fairly easy to work on, the engines preform well, The hydraulics are great. And parts are not a problem to get a hold of. The machine in that hour range usually goes for around 10K to 14K retail from a dealer. 10k to 12k from private owner. Tracks make it a whole different machine they are worth every penny spent. We have all the attachments and I would highly recommend a grapple,forks along with the bucket, there is not much you can not do with one of these machines. As what to look for on a used machine, well look at all the fluids and filters and see what condition they are in and judge for your self if the machine was cared for or not. look at the air filters and do the same. look for cracks near the pivot pin bolsters see if all the grease joints have taken grease lately. We just went to solid tires last year and we like them so far(no flat fixing is a good thing) 5000 hrs is a lot of use so look the machine over pretty closely and see if it has been abused or well maintained. If I had to purchase one again I would look at them all but favor NH. they make a great machine! Tim

Kansas

We run an L185 and an L190. Excellent machines. Not sure about your year, but when we switched from bobcats, they were so much easier to access the engine than Bobcats. I can't tell you on price. We usually trade no later than 1500 hours. They hold their value around here well, due to farmers.

Somebody in the construction business told me that you want a New Holland for lifting and carrying stuff, a Bobcat for digging. I don't know. We have done some serious digging and shoving with ours, with good results.

WmFritz

Personally, I prefer the foot controls on the NH's over hand controls on BC and Case. I had a '96 NH that got the heck beat out of and wouldn't quit. Great machines.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Thank You Sponsors!