iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

white oak boards

Started by xlogger, October 24, 2012, 08:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I cut about 60 white oak boards today for fencing (need to cut about 100 more) and it will be about 2-3 weeks before I put them up. I didn't sticker them just put them in a pile.  Will they be ok like that now that's its cooling down some here in NC? I know pine will mold and the cedar I cut does fine without stickers.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If there gonna lay there for 2-3 weeks.....they should be fine. In our area it's gonna get cooler next week, which is a plus.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

for fencing I would say this is o.k. However, many things can happen. It might be better to go ahead and strip them for safety sake. just saying, not that much more effort for a small job.  I have seen projects get extended for one reason or other. david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

xlogger

I got some new blades that I use today, Simonds. I use one on the white oak and sharpen it twice after that to 4 degrees and it was cutting nice. First time I've sharpen to 4.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

beenthere

For fencing, the mold won't bother.
But for better fencing, I'd sticker the boards.
If "cooling" meant 35 Deg or less, then stacking solid wouldn't matter much.

And for the reasons David gave, I'd for sure sticker.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sawdust Lover

I cut some white oak decking boards a few months ago and they sat for a month and were fine. I wouldn't do it with furniture grade.

WDH

You might get away with it in oak, but in other species, it might not turn out well.  It is still getting in the 80's here, and that is too hot for green flat stacked lumber.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Solomon

I have noticed that yellow pine turns green rather quickly.  White pine stays pretty clean from my expierence and dries more quickly.
Susequently, I prefer the white pine.  When I cut Yellow pine I sticker it up as soon as the board comes off the mill.
I cut some white oak a couple of weeks ago.  Three logs 16' average 28" dia. yielded 33 boards 6/4 x 8 x 16'.  And a half cord of fire wood!!!
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on October 24, 2012, 11:53:14 PM
You might get away with it

I agree, why risk it?  Nothing worse than unpiling a stack of lumber to see the wood has degraded.  Even just a few stickers is better than none...
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

xlogger

Just getting on the lazy side I guess. Didn't want to move those 16 ft board if I didn't have to. Might try to start putting them up next week, we'll see how much rain this hurricane puts our way.

woodmills1

I sticker all unless I am delivering it, then I dead stack on truck or trailer and help the customer sticker if they are not using right away
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!