iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gearmatic 19

Started by mechanics wife, September 30, 2010, 12:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mechanics wife

I'm the computer person so I have to post this for my husband. My husband has been working on a gearmatic 19 winch which is on a international 125 E series the drum runs all the time does anyone have any idea what he can do?

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.

We'll hope someone familiar with the drum winch comes along with an answer soon, or at least some ideas.
Any pics to post that might help?  Also, what has been done so far? Torn down? Casual inspection? How long ago did it work? What were the symptoms when it started to fail (run all the time)?

All the background will help.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

nblogger

Is it trying to wind up the mainline all the time? Can you pull it out when released? Need more info because the drum is supposed to run all the time.

madmari

Could be the clutch bands are swollen/stuck or the clutch slave is stuck. Will the winch free wheel if the lever is pushed fully forward?
  Fortunately, these problems are usually easily rectified. The drum should rotate all the time, however the cable action is dictated by either the brake or the clutch. There is a troubleshooting guide here:

http://www.partsfinder.ca/Winchs/intro.html

Good luck!
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

John Woodworth

as mentioned before inner clutches could be swolllen or stuck, I've had linnings through the yaers  that would shrink and swell with the weather, or the clutches could be set up too tight, I use a old hack saw blade for a guage when setting them up, it's a bit more than called for but if you try to set up a used drum to specs you have problems because the inner drum race is not always worn in a consistantly round diameter thus the friction clearance is not consistant.

Ons thing to try before taking apart, hang the drum line on a stump and pull away from it just feathering the drum(friction apply) and see if that breaks it loose, ultimatly though hee's probably better off pulling she side cover and checking clearances.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Autocar

Pull the side off of the winch and pull the brake bands out and clean them up good, then set them at twenty thousands [ feeler gage ] one of the fellows here on this form told me this and it cured my problem.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!