iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing out a swingset

Started by mjeselskis, July 31, 2011, 09:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjeselskis

Perhaps a little different than the normal topic, but my wife wants me to build a swingset. Maybe this is more timberframing, but I do have to cut the beams on the LT28.

I'm thinking 21' 8x8 posts, cut to octagons for the verticals. We're in the frost range, so the posts will be 4 ft down. Thinking the ends will be 2 posts at a 30* angle like... /\ and a single 20' 8x8 or 10x10 going across with 4 swings hanging. Anyone built anything like this before? Curious on the strength and how to tie it all together.
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

mad murdock

we had a wooden play structure when our kids were smaller.  we picked it up from a guy, so didn't build it, but we modified it and maintained it plenty.  It was built from lumberstore boards, i.e. 2x4, 2x6, 4x4.  It was plenty strong, and was held together with carriage bolts and lag bolts on the major joints, and deck screws(construction screws), on the decking material.  For the size structure you are planning, 6x6 sounds real good, will last plenty long.  If you have a source, bolts and timber washers, or good sized carriage bolts will do well. Bolts and timber washers are what alot of old circle mills are held together with, they are a good way to go for strong joints, also, the jointery itself, (the way you cut the beams to fit into one another), is key to strength, at the tops of the A frames, where the top beam runs along them.  Prolly a stroll through the timberframe forum will be instructive to your idea pool, and give you a sense of a good plan to go with.  Good luck, sounds like some fun is in your future, (your young'uns for sure). :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!