iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally Chipping

Started by ET, June 20, 2013, 08:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET

Well, after at least a year or more, I finally decided to purchase a chipper.  Like many I've been using a small 8hp manual for chipping small stuff after I've salvaged the log and taken all the firewood that the tree would give me.  I still though, had many piles, (the rabbits liked them) of limbs laying around my farm in the orchard, out by the barns, in the woods, etc., etc...  So I made the decision of course with Linda's approval, to purchase a Vermeer BC600XL.  I put 1 1/2 hours on it today and it is performing super.  I cleaned up the orchard and the slab pile I had been accumulating since I bought my mill last May (2012).  It only has a 6" chute, but anything bigger goes in the fire anyway.  It's too late to ask which chipper on the market is superior, but from what I've gleened over the years, I think Vermeer is a good choice.  Here's a pic and I really would appreciate any operating advise, maintenance advise, and other things to look for when I'm operating it, as I certainly would not want to break or wear something out since I'm a novice at chipping with a Vermeer.

Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

beenthere

Looks great.
New people on chippers need to watch for limb catchers, those things that will grab ahold of your clothes as the chipper pulls the branches into the chute.
Without warning, they can pull you along, or tear at your skin, drag your hardhat off, and nearly pull you in the machine. Just sayin, keep it always in mind.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ET

Thanks Beenthere; i watched a safety DVD by Vermeer and it puts the facts right on the line about safety and avoiding getting snagged by a branch. I was wearing my helmet with face shield and ear protection.  I did notice on the longer dry branches that there was alot of flailing about that if not careful, your hardhat could indeed be knocked off. Do you think i should wear safety goggles over my glasses under the face shield?  My wife thinks i should.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

JohnM

You know what's funny (sad ??? ::))?  I never even thought of chipping my slab pile. :-[  I only have a small (12hp) DR chipper that my father bought years ago, not a beaut like yours, ET. ;D  The bigger stuff will go in the woodpile (home or sap depending on species :)), but that little stuff is going to get chewed up! ;D  Thanks for the tip, ET!

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

moosehunter

Keep your eye on the piece you just put in the chipper until it is inside the chute. More than once I have turned around to pick up the next limb/ edging and had the one I just put in the chute slap me in the back of the leg,back, arm as it is pulled into the chipper.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

clww

As posted, be especially careful with loading limbs as to not get snagged. I've experienced pieces being kicked back out, too, so I'd wear a helmet with the visor and ear muffs.
Several years ago, shortly before Christmas, there was a 14 year old from a town close by that got pulled into a chipper while helping out on his folks' farm.

Your chipper is the nicest one I've ever seen. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ET

Thanks for all of the helpful advice. I will use your hints seriously. I think this piece of equipment is more dangerous than my mill.  Yesterday i trimmed some heavy overgrowth in the orchard which prevented me from mowing and sometimes almost knocking me off my mower. Man did i have a pile of branches. It took about an hour of chainsaw work and then 1 1/2 hr of chipping and wow it looks nice now, plus i must have a yard or 2 of nice chips for the yard.

Does anyone sell these natural wood chips in their lumber business? 

Magicman

Congratulations, That is a nice looking machine for sure.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WildDog

Looks great ET, :) a chipper that size wouldn't be sitting idle much around the farm, I am sure you will get your moneys worth out of it.

I have never used one, but as others have said "be careful"  a contractor operating one down here 2 weeks ago had a rope go into the chipper and it tangled around his neck killing him.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

ScottAR

I have no real experience with a chipper, but it seems like a good idea to make sure the feed reversing safety bar works every time you fire it up. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

ET

Good point Scott!  I have been checking each time making sure the lower leg push stop bar works easily. So i will start checking the reversing too. Right now Iv'e been setting the feed roller fairly slow so i dont get alot of slapping branches. The chips are smaller but until i get the feel of feeding it with confidence ill keep it slooow.

thecfarm

That looks good. Diesel motor? HP?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ET

It had a perkins diesel option with special order, i did not even ask what that upcharge would have been. I just went with their standard 27hp kohler. I have 3 other kohlers in use and one is over 20 years old and have never had any problems so i felt comfortable with it. It seems to have enough power for anything ive put in it yet. Bet osage would be a challenge

Thank You Sponsors!