iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rope knots - what do you guys like to use?

Started by 101mph, July 14, 2014, 07:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

101mph

Just thought I'd start a discussion about rope knots and the applications their used for.

What type of knot do you like to use and when do you use it?

Fire away.

thenorthman

Square, and bowline are the two most commonly used.  Square for connecting to lines, bowline for making loops.

Zepplin bend for ropes with severe loads

Sheet bend for passing dissimilar sizes

Butterfly (name may be incorrect) I use this one all the time in place of an over hand to put a bight in a line, comes apart real easy, like a modified clove hitch that tightens on itself.  You can really horse down on it and still break it when you need to.

timber hitch is my climbers favorite, uses it to pull the tops of trees, quick to tie and easy to do one handed, not meant to be used for climbing though.

Larks head, for tying me to anything...

Cats Paw, I haven't used this in years, used to be used on the old fiber flip lines in the days before the cam thingy...  I remember it being more then a little scary to adjust while in a tree...

Clove hitch, use it all the time for passing tools etc up to the climber

double half hitch, also for passing tools.

Every once in a great while I'll bust out the bowsons chair, more for giggles than anything, modern climbing harnesses are a huge improvement over this...
well that didn't work

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chet

Quote from: thenorthman on July 14, 2014, 09:25:41 PM
Every once in a great while I'll bust out the bowsons chair, more for giggles than anything, modern climbing harnesses are a huge improvement over this...

And a tad bit more comfortable on certain body parts.  :D :D :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

park ranger

Seems like I use the truckers knot for cinching down on a load, the sheet bend to connect to ropes and the timber hitch to do just what thenorthman does too.  But the cats paw for the flip line, I'd like to see it.  My kid knows the butterfly to get the loop in the middle of the rope but I need work on that one too.

lmo506

And for those that don't know how to tie knots... tie lots !
I have never pretended to be anything I'm not, except sober, I've pretended to be sober a few times

barbender

Knots fascinate me. There is enough knowledge on the subject that a person can study them for a lifetime, and still not know all of them.
Too many irons in the fire

OneWithWood

There is a very good app for smart phones called Knots 3D that lists just about every knot known and shows a very good illustration on how to tie the knots. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

petefrom bearswamp

Square, bowline, clove hitch and gofer for most of my needs
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

bill m

clove hitch
bowline
timber hitch
sheet bend
blake's hitch
figure eight and all of its variations
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

SPIKER

I don't know the names of them but start out,

the first knot will never come un-tied :(

the second knot is great holds and will not pull apart until you climb down out of the way and get on the machine, then it self un-ties and falls out on it's own. >:(

the 3rd knot is never tied as you drop the rope half way back up in the tree and have to climb down to get it. >:(

the 4th knot will work great from the point tied it is similar to the 1st knot but you now have the pocket knife handy to make removal easier :D nd that my friends is about my experience tieing knots.   I have used the #2 knot most often even once on the anchor of the boat  :-[ ::)   Then that time the boat was tied to the dock while the trailer was retrieved.   Luckily someone trolled me out to get it lol... :snowball: :snowball: :(

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

timberlinetree

When working on the tree crew the one knot that was most important was the whyknot. Whyknot take lunch now. Whyknot stop and get a pizza. We should take Friday off whyknot. :D
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Magicman

Most all of my knot needs center around the bowline, trucker/linesman hitch, clove hitch, and square.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

IcePick

Maybe all you bowline users include the running bowline as well?  In my opinion, the best knot there is and can be used for many applications.  Bowline, bowline on a bight and running bowline are all hard to beat knots.
Trying to support myself and a family working with trees since 1998.

thenorthman

well that didn't work

chet

or the swinging bowline, rolling bowline, twirling bowline, or the not so popular bowline on a stump.  ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

John Mc

Quote from: IcePick on July 25, 2014, 07:19:07 PM
Maybe all you bowline users include the running bowline as well?  In my opinion, the best knot there is and can be used for many applications.

A running bowline is just a regular bowline where you take the other end of the rope and pass it through the fixed loop of the bowline to make a choker, right?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ely

Quote from: John Mc on July 30, 2014, 05:11:51 PM
Maybe all you bowline users include the running bowline as well?  In my opinion, the best knot there is and can be used for many applications.

A running bowline is just a regular bowline where you take the other end of the rope and pass it through the fixed loop of the bowline to make a choker, right?
ha ha ha no that is not correct. they are just yanking your rope now.

DR_Buck

As a former Boy Scout (1966 Delmont Scout Reservation Knot Tying Champ) , Scout leader and 25 years in the Navy & Navy Reserve  I'll just say is there is a knot for just about every purpose.   You just need to use the right knot for each purpose.    And if you don't know it, a good or even a bad or wrong knot used properly can hold or lift almost always.   However, the correct knot used in the correct situation will also untie easily.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

beenthere

What I thought too, was a running bowline. Not sure why this guy makes it look so difficult to tie. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPxueswthJo
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chet

The video is how I tie it. It's one thing ta pass the other end of a short length threw the bowlines loop, but very impractical and time consuming  if your rope is 150' or 300' feet long.  ;)

John Mc

Quote from: ely on July 30, 2014, 05:32:08 PM
ha ha ha no that is not correct. they are just yanking your rope now.

Actually, there is something called a running bowline. I just looked it up.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

dvrwjh

All the Knots mentioned are very good. the butterfly one mentioned is actually called the
"Alpine butterfly." very good knot for securing a load tight. and easy to remove when released.
You can pull all three directions on the line and does not weaken the rope as much as an overhand knot.
( that will never come out after it has been tightened)

There are some very good Phone apps that show in great detail how to tie and secure many knots.
The Best I have seen in a while is called  "What Knot" and" Knot Guide " from the i tunes store. Its free and has so many Knots, Bends, Hitches, Lashings, Loops, the list goes on.

Practice makes perfect. Learn to do the basic ones in the dark when you can't see at all. this will make securing a knot when you can see fast and easy. You will look like a pro !!
Choose the right Knot. Your life, safety or someone else's life or safety could and often will depend on it.

Dvrwjh.
2014 Cord King M 2030 Wood Processor
2013 Ford F 550 Dump truck, Switch N Go System
2008 Ford F 350
2014 Kubota L45 TLB
2014 Split-Fire HT 3265 Custom Splitter
2009 6x10' 5T dump trailer
2014 20'  7T float trailer
Stihl M660
Stihl M260
Stihl  AV 032, 034.

Thank You Sponsors!