iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trees I saw in FL

Started by sprucebunny, February 15, 2006, 07:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Some of the trees I saw were completely new to me and there is a good chance half of those are not natives.

Maybe someone knows something about these species and could enlighten us about thier origin and uses. ???

At a botanical garden in central Fl there was a "sugarberry" tree. The placard implied that it was native. It had good girth... about 18" and a straight trunk. It's deciduous.

This is an evergreen who's 'needles' are 1/4 inch thick and layered. It had a 16 inch trunk.

This is another evergreen from a botanical garden ( they were a little lax on the labeling  ::) ) The needles are kind of like yew but about 2.5 inches long.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ianab

SB

The middle one looks like Norfolk Island Pine ( Araucaria heterophylla ), native to Norfolk Island strangely enough. I see online it's commonly grown in Florida.
At 16" dbh it's just a baby, they grow 5 or 6 foot dbh and usually dead straight, even in windy salt exposed locations.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

In Torreya state Park in Fl they have a couple of trees in the yew family protected. But they look different that your last picture. I haven't a clue. ;)

In your first pic, don't I see some saw palmento? ;D

Nice pictures, maybe Tom can help ya out. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Even though it is natural to Florida, I'm not  familiar with Sugarberry.   Those seem to be cabbage palm fronds (Sabal) in the first picture rather than saw palmetto.  The second, I'll second as being Norfolk Island Pine. Not to be confused with Norfolk  Virginia.  :D

The third picture could be a tree, "Olive", or a flowering plant, Oleander, commonly planted as an ornamental even though it is deadly poison.  Oleander makes a large bush or shrub reaching about 10'.

SwampDonkey

See, not only did I not know what I was looking at, but I didn't know how to spell what I wasn't looking at. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Dumb me  ::) I have two Norfolk pine in my livingroom. Thier needles are a little fluffier. They grow pretty fast, alright ;D

The third picture , the tree has thick needles like a yew bush but proportionately bigger. Is Oleander evergreen, Tom ???

Here is a picture of little Torryeas ;D

Tom

Yes, it is an evergreen.
There are some good sites on Oleander that describe its use as an ornamental and its notoriety for being toxic.   :)

RMay

Sprucebunny the sugarberry has a local name southern hackberry ( Celtis laevigata Willd ) ;D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

chet

We had a really nice Norfolk Pine in our living room too. The operative word is had, somebody forgot ta water it.  :'(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

DanG

Tom, I ain't gonna outright disagree with ya on that Oleander, but I am gonna reserve agreement.  I'ma thinkin' that Oleander has a broader leaf than that.  It looks like some kind of Yew to me.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/plant52.htm

After a bit of Googling, I'm even less sure. ???  The leaves in the Purdue pic do seem a little broader, but the other attributes are there.  Let's send somebody down there to eat some of it, and if they don't come back, Tom is right. ;D ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sprucebunny

I've been looking at oleander and olive and the pic I have of this. ??? ???

It is a tree with a 7" dbh trunk planted at the entrance to the porch in a Fl state botanical garden ( Rainbow Springs ) It's placement in the landscape doesn't seem a good choice for something poisonous  :o Also the leaves/needles are narrow and have a less prominent center vein than oleander and wrong color for olive.

Now, I'm wishing that I took higher resolution pictures ::)

sprucebunny

RMay, Is hackberry sawed up very often or used for anything in particular ? It was big and straight with a tight , smooth bark.

SwampDonkey

woodbowl

Sugarberry is the local name around here. I've not heard of anyone using it for anything. It seems a shame too because it grows to be a large tree with at least two logs. I cut a short piece on the mill a while back and it seems a bit tough and disobedient. I made a few bowls also. The wood is pretty and white with tight interlocking grain. It is very dense and heavy. It doesn't split well at all, and if it doesn't dry fairly soon, it developes grey discoloration all the way to the heart.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

SwampDonkey

Sounds similar to elm. They are grouped with elms, if they are a hackberry. Celtis laevigata The dendro book calls them sugarberry or sugar hackberry.

Jeff

How did the bowls turn out?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Pullinchips

Swamp, is right on the scientific name and the commons. It resembles a winged elm in form.  It is called hackberry or sugarberry.  Bark can be very bumpy near the base and leaves sometimes have bumps in them. Its a weed or trash tree only use i know or can think of is pulp.  The oleander is that the bush that has white and pink flowers that they plant as ornamentals in all south eastern coastal cities.  I from charleston and there were bushes that grew like that all over the town that had pink or white flowers.  I hated that bush dont know why though.  The middle, i will not argue with others since i am not from FL but i thought of cryptomeria, but i went to Fl last year and did notice some wierd conifers there.
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

Tom

DanG, you might be right on the Oleander thing.  I was just guessing as usual.  To say it looks like me is a stretch though.  :D :D

woodbowl

The sugarberry bowls turned out very nice and didn't split one bit. They have a warp to them though. It moves around while it's being worked. The grey discoloration is present and follows the grain without crossing over.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DanG

Tom, go back and read it again.  I said they were too skinny.  That ain't like yew at all. ;D :D :D :D

Tom

You're right, DanG.   They are too skinny.  They look more like Yew.  ;D

Jeff

Olin did you get any photos of those bowls?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Radar67

Hey OlEn, I would like to see pictures of your bowls too. I've only seen the one on you avitar.

Stew

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

woodbowl

I've still got the bowls and looked at them for cracks just before I posted. I'm afraid to take any pics with my camera right now (because of overwriting) untill I recover our lost pics.

Stew, there are a few in my gallery

Thank You Sponsors!