iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need some help IDing a few trees

Started by Snag, March 16, 2006, 02:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snag

I could use a little help IDing a few trees if you wouldnt mind helping....

1) I was told this was basswood..... is that right?

2) I know this one and the next two are oak, well, because they have oak leaves on them.  Just not sure if they are red or white....

3) another oak.  red or white?

4) another oak.  red or white?

5) Ash????

Any help would be appreciated.....  Thanks.

Texas Ranger

Not much on identifying by bark alone, need some leaves to make species ID>
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Snag

Thanks anyway TR.  I would be more than happy to post pics of the leaves, but it will be a few month before they come back. :)  I only know the oaks are oaks because they each have one or two shrivelled up leaves that I can kinda identify as 'oak'.  I could provide a decent pic of an oak leaf from the ground from last year.  It will show the shape, just be brown. ;D  Would that help, ya think?

SwampDonkey

1. could even fit butternut. Basswood bark up here looks similar to hard maple bark when mature. My father used to confuse the two until it was horizontal (felled) with the canted, reddish, round buds. You might even see the large 4 inch long bracts on the ground from the fruit. They have large asymetrical leaves, where one side of the mid rib sags more than the other. Butternut have about the biggest buds on a tree, similar to walnut, about the only part of the leaves you'de see this time of year would be the midrib left behind as the leaves are compound and the leaflets all drop off, the midrib is also hairy and sticky.

2. I could have sworn was eastern cottonwood or aspen. If not, then it might be white oak.

3.  looks like red oak, leaves with sharp pointed lobes, white blotches on the bark.

4. Could be any red oak I've seen up this way.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dale Hatfield

Im not sure the first is a bass wood.
2 and 3 look like same tree. Not a white oak
4   is a Red Oak
5 is kinda a stab but looks like a Hickory. Pic is kinda washed out.
Bud pics or leaf pics will make a sure ID.

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Riles

If you're sure 2, 3, and 4 are oaks, then they're all red oaks. Bark is too tight for any white oaks. (Live oak being the exception). 5 could be white ash, but like the oaks, proper identification is going to take a little bit more to go on.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

SwampDonkey

5. Isn't a white ash, not furrowed enough and not brown, or it doesn't appear so in that picture, looks more ash grey.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Snag

Thanks for all the help.  1-4 I can get some pics of leaves either on the ground or wait til spring.  #5 is already on the ground.  The pic is a little washed from the camera exposure.  It is more brown than that.  Would the grain on #5 help when I open her up? Again, thank you.

SwampDonkey

Yup it would, but you could also compare the buds to those in the 'Overwintering Buds and twigs' thread up above. ;)

Tom

I'm not going to try and say what they are, but, if they were here, I would suspect #1 to be willow and probably black willow.  #5 I would suspect to be Black gum.    Would either of those two fit the environment?

Snag

Tom-  I cant pretend to know the answer to that.  I'm sure someone here WAY more knowledgable here would know.  I am in northeastern NY.  I have never heard of anyone mentioning those species though.  I'll try to get some leaf photos on Sunday if I can find some in decent enough shape on the ground....

Furby

Like SD, I thought #2 was Aspen
#3 and #4 look like Black Oak to me.

SwampDonkey

White ash, butternut, basswood, are sometimes a minor component of our sugar maple-yellow birch-ash zone up my way which are our richest sites, there are tiny stands of that mix. They are becoming more rare because of poor forestry practices, and farmland clearing. Sometimes red oak is present along the river valley. Aspen is not present on mature sites, but can be found at immature and sapling stages. Just as the hardwood matures, the aspen is toast. I mentioned this because your species remind me of those sites here. Those sites can also contain alot of less common woodland flowers and some found nowhere else in the maritimes.

bitternut

Since you are in New York State I am going to say that #1 is a Basswood, #2 is Bigtooth Aspen, #3 and #4 are Red Oak and #5 is a Bitternut Hickory.

Jeff

1. Basswood
2. Aspen
3.and 4. Northern Red Oak
5 Possibly Ash, but maybe another Basswood. We can definitely tell by seeing the lumber Basswood and Ash logs often get confused in the mill yard at a glance.

You may very well have an aspen snuck in there with your red oak. They can look a lot alike just looking at the trunk, but more often Aspen looks like Oak, then Oak looking like aspen.  An aspen's leaves may not be under it due to wind.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Had one guy say, 'come on over and have a look at my red oak'. It was balm-of-gilead and this fellow was a Ranger School graduate.  ::)

Ron Wenrich

If #5 is down, maybe you can look at the branching pattern.  If it is opposite instead of alternate, then its ash.  Ash would be the only thing that has that type of bark and opposite branching.

Yellow poplar also has that type of bark.  Truck drivers are always mixing the ash and the tulip poplar together.   I've seen tulip & basswood growing on the same site.  You may be a little north of the poplar range or on the fringe.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

OLD_ JD

1.Basswood...butternut is more dark brown
2.aspen (Populus tremuloides)
3 and 4 red oak
5.is bit tricky, try to rub the bark whit you're hand if bark fell off is basswood if not i will try swamp elm
canadien forest ranger

SwampDonkey

Like Ron said about ash and tulip tree... there was another thread in here to id a tree and it was tulip tree, the bark looked like ash until I saw those tulip shaped leaves. :D

Snag

#1 and #5 are in grave danger.  I got back with my WPF last night (will post more info and pics about the trip later on another category).  I may have at them some point today.  If I do, I will take a pic of the grain and post it.  #2,3,4 are all definitely oak.  They each have a few dead leaves still attached way up top.  I am going to try to find a decent leaf sample from the ground today.  Problem is, these things (the trees) are scattered all over and there isnt a good way to make sure they are from the right tree.  Maybe I could use some binoculars and try to tell if the leaves still attached are the same type of oak leaf.  Again, thanks for all the help.  It is greatly appreciated.....

SwampDonkey

Pictures of the buds (in focus) on them tops would sinch it for me. Leaves on the ground could be from any tree when the wind blows stuff around.

Snag

Hey bitternut,

I think you may be right on #5.  A local fella stopped by today and says that #5 is bitternut.  I didnt take a pic because too busy sawing, but the heart makes up about 90% of the diameter and the heart is dark brown with just a 1" ring of light sapwood.  He claims it to be bitternut.  doeas that heart description match?  Going to saw it up tomorrow.  Promise I will take pics of the grain.

SwampDonkey

On # 5, check the buds with those shown in the 'Overwintering Trees' thread, up top. Not that difficult to do. Take a pocket knife and widdle down on a twig to the pith and see if it's chambered. I assume you guys cut the wood and the tops are lying right there, can't be any simpler. ;) :D

Butternut

White ash

Snag

I was hoping there were some buds on it so I could take a pic of it and show you asked for in an earlier post.  Unfortunatley, this was cut a while ago and there are none on it.  Any other parts of the top have been disposed of. :(  Thanks.  :)

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!