iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What wood Have I been sawing all day?

Started by onionman, February 02, 2007, 07:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Scarlet ??? ID Pending, non typical.

red

white

::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

The middle leaves are the scarlet, right?  Seems to me that the top pic is northern red and the middle pic is scarlet, but that is not how you labeled them or I am reading it wrong? 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

top is scarlet: dead leaves turn bronze from scarlet red, very colorful. These are non native to my region and were picked at Bear Island campground.

middle is red: dead leave is light brown, this tree in the yard always goes from green to brown.

bottom white: dead leaves turn bronze with a hint of red from a scarlet red, very colorful.

This why I say leaves can be so variable.

I also know that the leave shape you linked to as scarlet oak, can also fit black oak. Black oak also looks like red oak leaves.

If you go one step further and pick shade leaves of red oak in the forest then the lobes are almost none existent with just pointy "cat's nails" for lobes.

black oak

WDH

When you say "red oak" which one are you referring to?  Northern Red Oak? 

I am really suspicious that the top leaves  in the first pics you posted is scarlet oak.  They are definitely not typical.  Maybe their DNA got froze!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

northern red, the only red oak native to NB. I've picked a lot of acorns off this tree and none have the concentric circles on the top of the acorn that are the signature of scarlet oak. Also, as I stated this tree does not have much red in the fall foliage, they go from green to orange-yellow to light brown when dead. This occurs in a short time. The cups are not deep on the acorns on this tree, deeper cups are characteristic of scarlet.

We'll reserve judgment on the scarlet oak leaves for now until I get to the park to see the source. The majority of evidence on the internet suggests that this is not scarlet. Possibly a hybrid. I may have been misinformed, but I was given this info from 2 different sources that do not know one another.

WDH

Yep, It might be a hybrid.  Things don't always fit nicely in the pigeon holes, do they?

tonich

SwampDonkey

Toni, no. I have to see the parent trees in late summer to get a look at the acorns. They should have concentric rings on the tip of the acorn. ;) All I know is that the texture and color of the dead leaves are a bit different and the fall color on those are scarlet red. Red oak isn't very spectacular in fall color.

SwampDonkey

Toni,

Ever see the leaves on a basswood seedling? Looks like wild geranium or buttercup leaves. When they get older they take on the typical heart-shape. Leaves are generally asymmetrical with the lower lobe on one side lower than the other. This is not always the case.

tonich

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 05, 2007, 08:07:09 AM
Toni,

Ever see the leaves on a basswood seedling? Looks like wild geranium or buttercup leaves. When they get older they take on the typical heart-shape. Leaves are generally asymmetrical with the lower lobe on one side lower than the other. This is not always the case.

Yes, I have. Just as you’ve describe it!
--------

Note:
Lime is an important oak spouse here. Up to 10 – 15 % of composition is a very desired amount. There are even some unmixed basswood low-pole woods, but those are secondary stands, more a product of human activity, than a natural factor.

The following Limes are natively spread in Bulgaria:

Small-leaved Lime
Large-leaved Lime
Silver Lime

WDH

Swamp,

When you get those acorns, notice that the scarlet oak acorn has a cup that is bowl shaped covering about half the nut and the border of the bowl is fringed.  The Nothern red acorn has a very shallow saucer shaped cut.  You will not always see the concentric rings on the tip of the scarlett oak acorn.  Sometimes it is not there or very hard to see.  However, the acorn cups between the two species are very distinctly different. 

You have tonich's interest picqued ( ;D), so let us know what you find out.

SwampDonkey

I wish Toni had brought up the fact that they call basswood lime or lime-tree in Europe. I would have been armed and ready when I tried to convince Gerald he had a basswood board, and not a citrus lime. We've worked it out since, after i found a reference from the US Forest Service and emailed him. ;D

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Furby

Thank You Sponsors!