iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

unusual leaf

Started by anneoakleaf, December 09, 2007, 04:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anneoakleaf

??? Jeff, I found an unsual leaf I wanted you to identify for me.  I was trying to download it to your website but I guess the file is too big.  I will send it to your sister as I do not have your e-mail address.  Maybe she can forward it to you.

anne oakleaf in Chicago

Furby

Welcome Anne. 8)
We can walk you through the pic problem if you'd like to do it yourself.
There are instructions under the help button at the top of the page.
Feel free to ask if you get stuck. :)

Wildflower

anneoakleaf,

Hey welcome to the forum. You will now have to make it a point to comne to the Pig Roast in August. Pete and Lynda come every year. It is nice to see ya.

Tammy
Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

anneoakleaf

Hey Tammy, how did you know it was me??  I was trying to be clever so you wouldn't know who this was.  lol Anyways, Jason e-mailed me and I sent the pic onto him. It wasn't a real clear pic but enough so he could tell what it was, I hope. Maybe I will try later to download the pic again.

Furby

anneoakleaf

Thanks Furby for posting my pic.  Do you know what kind of tree it is?

Does anyone know?

Anne Oakleaf

Furby

Looks like mulberry to me, but it's been a while since I've seen a leaf so I could be way off.
Where did you find?

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

If it's not a mulberry, it's the same shape as a sassafras to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

anneoakleaf

I don't think it's a mulberry as I didn't see any berries so maybe it's a sassafras. I found it in downtown Waukegan, Illinois this past fall. I found the leaf to be so very intresting that I had to find out what it was.  Thanks!

Anne Oakleaf

anneoakleaf

Hey Furby, I've been in Grand Rapids as well. I went to college there up on Beltline.  Back then it was Called Grand Rapids Baptist College. I forgot what they changed the name to now.  We used to go up to Michigan Hill...kind of like inspiration point. There also used to be the weather ball did they move it or just got rid of it? I've also been to John Ball Park & Zoo. So you see the world is sort of small huh?

Anne Oakleaf

Dale Hatfield

Mullberry is my vote as Sassafrass has a smooth leaf edge.
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

WDH

It is definitely mulberry.  The mulberries are long gone, assuming the tree was a female.  If it was a male, no berries, never.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

I concur with the Bassist.  ;)

Welcome to the ForestryForum anneoakleaf! You realize Im goona slip up and call you by your real name dontcha? ;)

Anneoakleaf is family. She is my Brother-in-law's wife's sister-in-law. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Greg

Definitely not sassafras.

Don't know anything about mulberry.

This leaf looks very similar to a landscaping bush sold alot around here, called oak leaf hydrangea.

Greg

Tom

I agree with mulberry and probably white mulberry as well. It's white that has the most ornamental shaped leaves even though Red or Black may have a few.   The first white mulberry leaf I ever saw reminded me of a chinese pagoda and I've never forgotten it.   They have all kinds of angles and are generally symetrical so that there are parts that look like spear tips or multi-roofed chinese buildings.

Geoff Kegerreis

I have an active lifestyle that keeps me away from internet forums these days - If I don't reply, it's not personal - feel free to shoot me an e-mail via my website (on profile) if there is something I can help you with!  :-)

Tom

Here's a picture of a White Mulberry leaf I posted years ago.  Pretty distinctive.

SwampDonkey

Yup, no doubt about it.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

If it is red mulberry, it will be scrabrous, rough to the tongue, like sandpaper.  If it is white mulberry, it will be smooth as a baby's bottom, and that is real smooth... ;D.

Furby

Quote from: anneoakleaf on December 10, 2007, 08:43:21 AM
Hey Furby, I've been in Grand Rapids as well. I went to college there up on Beltline.  Back then it was Called Grand Rapids Baptist College. I forgot what they changed the name to now.  We used to go up to Michigan Hill...kind of like inspiration point. There also used to be the weather ball did they move it or just got rid of it? I've also been to John Ball Park & Zoo. So you see the world is sort of small huh?

That would be Cornerstone University, I go past there a lot in the summer.

Weather ball was removed a long time ago, and brought back to life several years back by WZZM13.
It's now located at their station at the junction of US-131 and Alpine Ave.

Been a loooooong time since I've been up on the hill, might have to go up there sometime soon.
Yup, it is a small world, the forum proves that!
:)

anneoakleaf

So you guys can say with a great deal of accuracy that is is Mulberry and it's a male one as there were no berries on it?  Yeah, I know you said that the berries are long gone.  However, I got this leaf before the fall leaf changes and I saw no berry stains on the ground etc. I guess I will have to wait until next year to see if it has berries or not.

Jeff, I am Pete's sister not his sister-in-law.  I am Lynda's sister-in-law.  Just for the record.  lol  :)

Yes, I would love to go to your pig roast next year. But I may not be able to. I will be taking my vacation in August but we are going to go to the Harley Davidson 105th anniversary ride in Milwaukee.  Never been there or done that and don't know when they'll have the next one.  We will have to wait and see and play it by ear.

WDH

Check for those berries in Mid-May to Mid-June.

pigman

Now anneoakleaf, Jeff said that you were Pete's sister, he just said it in a complicated way. ;D
"She is my Brother-in-law's wife's sister-in-law"
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Furby

I have no signs of berries under or around my trees a couple weeks after they are all off the tree.
So I really doubt you'd see any signs at all in the fall.

Thank You Sponsors!