iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

(3) Different Scale(s) ~ Doyle, Scribner and Intl. < Why & Which One to Use ?

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot, October 18, 2010, 03:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H60 Hawk Pilot

I ran this Log through the different Scales (listed ^ above).

Log is 14.5 inches at the small end and 12 Ft. long.

Doyle =       83 b f
Scribner = 100  b f
Intl.        = 110 b f

I'm thinking that the Doyle Scale is used to purchase logs and a little on the low side but work's better for all grades
of wood, bowed, etc. .

I tried the Scribner last night and was real close to the 100 B F. I graphed the 14.5  inch log on graph paper and got 98 board feet. I took in account for 3/16" blade cuts and it all worked out on graph paper.

Also, this was a perfect log...  straight & good wood and all that.

My Question:

Use Doyle to buy wood, Use Scribner/ International Scale to scale nice logs for (expected) B F and make No mistake's when cutting ?

H P
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

beenthere

H P
You figured that out pretty well.  8)

Keep in mind, that all the scales allow for deductions for sweep, crook, rot, checks, etc that limit the lumber produced from a log.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_C

Some parts of the country will set one as a standard measure. Here it's Scribner Decimal C. Other places it's Doyle but that is best used for buying, not selling as you figured.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!