iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Banding groove

Started by sawyerkirk, February 04, 2004, 01:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawyerkirk

I need to start producing about 200 3x4x36" with a 1" banding groove on them, trying to figure out the best way to do them My thought is to use a dado blad on my table saw and set my fence up to make one pass then turn the cant around and make another cut. Any other thoughts? I know I can buy them precut at $1.20/pc, but I'd like not to.

Kevin_H.

Kirk, I have a 1" bit setup in my router table. I'm using a 3hp router. one pass does it.

you could use a 5/8 bit and make two passes, might be a little easier on the machine.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

shopteacher

If you have a shaper with powerfeeder it would be quick and easy. 1" rabiting bit.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Kevin

Just another idea ...
3 separate pieces.

sawyerkirk

I'm going to check my shaper to see if I can get the head high enough. Thanks guys.

woodmills1

I keep thinking about your question, are you trying to make a groove parallel to the length, and if so how deep does it have to be?  Seems like if this is what you want then if the dado can do it in one pass then the 3 foot lengths should be easy enough to do it on the saw.

Or is the groove perpendicular to the length?  If that was so I would put the dado on my radial arm saw with a stop set up.  But with the radial I am always very careful.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

sawyerkirk

the cut runs the length of the 3'.

woodmills1

If the table saw dado will cut it in one pass I would make a guide box off of the saw guide.  The box would cover one side and the top, with the existing saw guide on the other side.  Then just push them through one after another.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!