iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Decision time

Started by hopm, July 06, 2020, 07:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopm

I'm really close to upgrading my mill. I am down to 2...American bandsaw or ez boardwalk 40.....I am staying manual....price between the 2 is not an issue...any guidance would be appreciated!!!

Woodpecker52

I love my LT-15 build like a brick Admin Edit, great engineers and service, large employee owned company backs up it product worldwide, sorry if I triggered anyone.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

RichTired

I too like my LT15, but it is just a hobby for me.
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Nebraska

Of the two choices...EZ Boardwalk  40 you won't be disappointed, also a forum sponsor. Any issues (not many) I've had with my Jr model have been due to me. Set it up on piers that make it above knee high and have fun.

Gere Flewelling

I don't have first hand experience with either American or EZ Boardwalk mills.  I have watched and studied every you-tube video I can find on those mills as well as most others.  EZ Boardwalk gets really good reviews from most.  I haven't seen a lot of videos on the American.  One thing I don't care for on the American models that I have seen in their brochures is the use of pillow block bearings on the band wheels.  I saw one model that had 4 bearings stacked together in a row supporting one wheel.  I have been advised that the side load pressures on wood cutting bandsaws is too much for that type of bearing.  Thus making them prone to housing failures.  I have noticed that many manufacturers do not use them in the band wheel applications.  There is enough things to go wrong to mess up a day of sawing.  I just would avoid that one if possible.  I have a Cook's MP-32 mill and have to admit that I am a little partial towards them.  Good luck with your decision. 
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

farmfromkansas

Are you in Missouri, where you can just go pick it up?  Never been close to a EZ or an American, only mills I have seen in person is my MP32 Cooks mill, a 1600 Timberking, B20 Timberking and a LT 30 Woodmizer.  They are all good mills.  The old guy who had the woodmizer would not spend a penny on it, and it still made decent boards, although everything needed re-adjusting.  Think the 1600 TK was the best buy, neighbors got a great deal on it with the engine not running.  Only took half a day in the shop to get it going. My Cooks I bought used, saved a couple bucks.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

hopm

Shipping....oh my!!!!.....any options other than take a road trip? Well over 10% of the mill cost.

btulloh

Only way to get that percentage down is to buy a much more expensive mill. Sorry, just the nature of motor freight. Road trip or FF Transport are your only lower priced options. When you figure the real cost of a road trip, motor freight starts to look pretty good. 
HM126

Walnut Beast

You want to play you got to pay 😊. Freight brokers with bids work good

ladylake

One big difference I see, the EZ uses large flanged guide rollers with down pressure which will last good and saw straight.  The American 2 small bearings guiding the band, one above and one below which due to high speed will not last long plus I think they make a lot of noise and have to be adjusted tight to control the blade good.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Nebraska on July 06, 2020, 11:42:12 AM
Of the two choices...EZ Boardwalk  40 you won't be disappointed, also a forum sponsor. Any issues (not many) I've had with my Jr model have been due to me. Set it up on piers that make it above knee high and have fun.
Nebraska is pretty happy with his EZ Boardwalk

Bruno of NH

When I got my mill last year.
I live in sales tax free NH.
It was much cheaper getting the mill delivered. 
I would have liked to go see Marty's operation but a road trip figured out on paper.
It was cheaper to stay home.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Nebraska

Well it does kick ash.... :D :D 8)....

(disclaimer..... user currently posting as Nebraska is a father and thereby reserves the right to drop "Dad" jokes at any given moment)

TroyC

I got the EZ 40 last month for my place in central Georgia. Freight shipping quote in April was a little over 900.00. When I ordered the mill in June, shipping had increased to over 3000.00! Covid issues affecting the shipping industry.

Stanton agreed to deliver the mill east of Macon for a reasonable fee.

Road trip- We met half way, 6 hr drive for me. I got the trailer package so we hooked the mill to my truck, plugged in the magnetic lights, and 6 hrs later I was back at the farm. I'm retired so I don't get paid for my time anymore but I saved considerably. Plus, I spent a nice day with my buddy on the drive and we talked a lot about the fun we will have sawing.

The mill was completely set up. Oil in engine, gas in tank. Next morning after 30 minutes of figuring what to do we cranked the engine and started cutting.

No regrets! 8)

farmfromkansas

That 15 degree angle thing, and pulling itself into the cut is really interesting, as well as having a capacity of 40" log too would get my attention if I did not already have a mill. Be a nice road trip to go pick it up in MO.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!