iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have I been lucky, or is possible?

Started by jrkimroxie, April 10, 2013, 09:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrkimroxie

Not to long ago I had a log large enough to mill 5- 6"x 12" timbers from. After months of being stickered and air drying they are still very flat/true. I received a load today from my tree service buddy and a few look like they are candidates for this kinda milling. My question is did I just get lucky or does this seem possible from SYP?
Loving life 1 log at a time !!!!

Magicman

Straight logs generally produce straight lumber and cants/timbers.  Logs with excessive sweep can be a different story.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jrkimroxie

This is what I was referring to. Each of those "boxes" is a 6x12

Ianab

What you need to avoid is having the pith of the log on the edge or corner of a beam. The Juvenile wood around the pith tends to shrink a little in length as it dries. Rest of the beam doesn't, so it can bow the beam.

So you either leave the pith near the centre (heart centred) or cut the beam well away from that pith area. Cutting 5 beams from a log can work as you have one that's centred, and 4 that are free of heart. All "should" dry straight.

There is still some luck involved, hence the "should"

As Magicman says, if the log has some sort of sweep, then there is probably internal tensions involved, and it's hard keep that pith centred as well, so they are asking for trouble.

Ian

Edit: Yes that's the sort of sawing pattern you should use. One centred, the rest "free of heart"
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

Looks like 3-4 rings to the inch. Is the pattern and pic of the small end?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

That is a good illustration and it will almost always work well with SYP.  With good logs such as that, it was not luck.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jrkimroxie

That log is VERY near 28"dia on both ends of a 16' cut.

Magicman

Logs such as that with typically less than one inch of taper are a dream to saw.   smiley_thumbsup

clww

jrk- I have yet to fall one that had those unique markings on the but or stump. :D :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

jrkimroxie

Gotta hold your mouth just right, and the saw must be at precisely 9157rpms.

Ianab

Quote from: clww on April 10, 2013, 11:06:24 PM
jrk- I have yet to fall one that had those unique markings on the but or stump. :D :D

It's the new version of "Paint by Numbers". Just saw along the lines and create a masterpiece.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

AdamT

I'd like to find the "quarter saw by numbers" template!

So what do you plan on using those 6x12's for?
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

bill m

You don't have to saw them into 6 x 12's  I need 4 x 4's ;D
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

jrkimroxie

The 6 x 12s are for my log cabin/home. As humorous as it sounds I do use my "paint by numbers" system on large logs to let this rookie know what's available before I crank the mill. And a special thanks to Piney Woods because without his info on the log clamp/turner I wouldn't attempt a 30 inch log on my WM LT 28.

AdamT

Did you have to oversize the timbers and saw down to final dimension, to relieve any sawing stresses, or did you just set it up and saw them out as they are and unload them from the mill deck?

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

t f flippo

jrk,  I did the same thing when I started sawing ties. 7x9,7x8,6x8 templetes.Worked out great.
I can eye ball a single tie log now,but still use the templetes for multiple ties in one log.

Tc

Thank You Sponsors!