iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

celebratory gunfire

Started by Raider Bill, January 01, 2021, 12:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

You guys have brought back memories of 2006 when I was working the Oyu Tolgoi project - a gold and copper mine project - in the Gobi Desert in Mongolia. I sat down one night at dinner and got to talking to one of our drill and blast foremen. This one was from Australia and was a hoot to talk with. He talked about the different blasting techniques such as time shots. Evidently before you blast an area you have to clear a space for the rock to fall into so they would first drill/excavate a clear area. With timed shots each shot cleared an area for the next section to fall so if any shot failed all subsequent shots would fail as no place for the debris to fall. This guy talked about using det cord to cut the ends off barrels. He said it would cut it off as clean as a knife. I remember the demo in my USMC training where they wrapped several loops of det cord around a 6" white oak and set it off. That WO jumped right off the stump. They told us they did that with a bunch of VC POWs in Viet Nam after they had already looped them together with det cord then did the demo for them. They sent them back with a walking wounded corporal holding the detonator and said the POWs never got out of step to Saigon. (They probably can't do that any more.)

Anyway I asked my Aussie friend where he learned to use explosives thinking he went to some high tech school or such. He told me as a teen he and his buddies would go down to the local dump and blow up old cars and such so that got him started. I knew Australia was a pretty laid back place in a lot of respects but that surprised me.

I remember he was telling me about the difference between High Explosive and Low Explosive which basically had to do a lot with the pressure of the blast. He said he laid a pipeline through solid rock in a town one time using LE and never broke a window. He was very enthusiastic about his job and a lot of fun to talk with.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Texas Ranger

I was a combat engineer in the army, I loved playing with wicked playdo,
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Don P

This is the title page of Grandad's 1922 copy of Duponts dynamite manual. I wish you could still go down to the store and get some for stubborn rocks and stumps.

I have mixed feelings about the way we are nowadays, they would throw a kid under the jail for some of the stuff we pulled. Stuff did occasionally go over a roof or a tad worse but one of the guys that was really into it became a genuine rocket scientist.

I will admit I went out at midnight the other night and after a minute or two of listening decided it was probably safer to have a roof over my head. 

Southside

We used to make our own black powder in HS chemistry class, now the teacher didn't know that was what we were making, but we did.  Can you imagine today??  

Uncle Sam gave me a fairly decent education when it came to C4, Data Sheet, and other fun stuff, not a whole lot with sawdust and nitro rolled together in a cardboard tube, but hey - who needs to mess with the slow stuff anyway?  Well one day in my next adventure I was with a mentor who was "showing me the way" when it came to removing beaver dams and how they used dynamite to do so.  Well, we set the "charge" - and backed off to clap three times.  Boom goes off and it's raining debarked pointy sticks, popple stumps, mud, rocks, etc.  A bit more that was expected.  Yup the dam was gone, BUT - the two side by each retired RR tankers that were serving as culverts now had a nice vortex swirl between them and the water was quickly removing the gravel that covered the two.  Now for most folks this would be a significant problem - however, when your issued pickup is parked on the wrong side of said culvert - it becomes a disaster in the making!!   :D  Ahh - the good old days!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Mooseherder

They're still celebrating here.  Been hearing some fireworks tonight still.  I suspect one of our neighbors shot live rounds New Years Eve.  I wasn't going to go out and verify.  South Florida is the melting pot of the world and seems New Years' is important in every culture.  

Ricker

We used to make oxygen/acetylene bombs.  Take a trash bag fill it with the gas put a fuse in the fill hole, light and run.  They make a Big Bang and if resting against a tree they would turn a 5-6 inch softwood tree trunk to splinters.  Needed to get all the static electricity out of the bag or it got real dangerous real fast.  Know a guy that lost hearing in one ear and two finger from a fill up explosion.  That was the end of that stupid chapter of our lives.

sawguy21

We made black powder in chemistry class too but got caught. My gf was startled by fireworks Thursday night but each time she got up and looked out the window there was nothing to see. She thinks they were in the schoolyard across the street behind the complex which would certainly draw unwanted attention. Back in my distant youth the local machine shop owner wondered why we kids were buying small amounts of calcium carbide, he kept it for the farmers who still had acetylene generators. Well, he soon found out and stopped it without a note from our parents. We punched a finishing nail hole in the bottom of a 48 oz jam can (remember those?) and put a pinch of powder in, spit on it, slapped the lid on and held a match to the hole. A firmly planted boot held the can in place. He told me a few years ago a teacher came in and raised holy heck, her students were putting it in the inkwells. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Southside

I found a recipe for "nitro" one time so naturally my chem partner and I - more likely just me - decided to give it a go during lab.  We were supposed to be boiling salt water or something like that.  Anyway at some point along the way the concoction boiled over onto the gas burner and a significant mushroom cloud erupted over my lab desk  :o.  Not being one to admit defeat or guilt for that matter, I looked right at my lab partner and told him to "shut up and don't say a word" - then ran up and down the isle shutting off other kids burners yelling "the experiment is bad - shut it down", "It's not safe!!".  Managed to divert enough attention from my yet boiling over partial beaker of almost nitro, to stop the chem teacher shy of my desk while she told me that for 30 years her students had been running this experiment and it had never gone "Boom" so there was nothing to fear, I needed to calm down.  Most of the other kids just looked at me and knew I had to be up to no good again, so they went about their business of measuring the temperature of boiling salt water or whatever boring experiment we were doing.  Never got in trouble for that either - but again - imagine today..... smiley_policeman
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Mooseherder

You guys were way more advanced than us.
Back when soda cans were a lil thicker gage we used to open the ends and tape together to make a bazooka.  (7 cans)
The can at the bottom we drilled a hole in, squirted lighter fluid into and lit.
It made a pretty big boom. We used to aim across the St. John River at Canada. :D
That wouldn't fly today.

sawguy21

Ah, an international terrorist. :D You were in danger of restarting the War of 1812.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Southside

Naa, MH was probably the soldier you never heard of in the Aroostook War.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

I do know a good hot fire at the base of an old dead elm tree hollowed out, and the placement of a full can of Mr Clean in such fire makes for a good boom. But stay behind a tree, them cans have (had) a marble in them to fire. Nice fire to, up the inside of the elm trunk. Supersized Roman Candle!! The good old days. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

Trebuchets are great fun;

I need to go pick it up some time, at it's last posting it was flinging watermelon "skeet"  :D

When we were in HS, Bobby, the rocket scientist, took a chemical equation he had cooked up to our chemistry teacher to check. Mr Hickman looked it over and said "this is a highly exothermic reaction". Kinda what we were hoping for  ;D.

Texas Ranger

Back in the day I turned a "rocket" out of steel on our lathe, screw on funnel exhaust.  Filled it with some exotic concoction lost in time, applied a jetex fuse, stood it upright, and lit the fuse, and ran like the dickens.  There was a most excellent noise, and the rocket disappeared.  Much to our concern, to where we knew not.  We left in a hurry.

years later in college I discovered silver acetylide, a mostly fun thing.  We would lay a trail out on the stairs in the dorm late in the evening so it would dry over night.  The scuffling of a shoe would set it off.  New version of a hot foot.  My friends were not surprised when I joined the Combat Engineers.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

petefrom bearswamp

In my early teens Jim Macgregor and I made our own BP from a recipe he found in a book.
WE mostly made firecrackers from razor blade boxes wrapped with the old fashioned friction tape. They worked good
we advanced to taking old pen tops  filling them, pinching the open end and putting them in a fire. Worked OK until one didnt go off and as I approached the fire it did and went between my legs.
Also made a marble cannon out of 1/2" pipe,but we didnt have a small enough drill for the touch hole.
The marble went about 10 feet.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

mike_belben

Boy and here i thought a beer in a bonfire was a noble prank. 
Praise The Lord

scsmith42

Back in 8th grade me and three buddies were responsible for the school being evacuated one fine day.  

We were all honor roll students so the teacher let us have the run of the science lab during class (it was in a separate room off of the classroom).

We had been experimenting making gunpowder and then got into more advanced methods that called for crystalizing it during drying, and then regrinding the powder after crystalizing.

Somehow an entire beaker went up in the science lab and things got a little exciting....   Needless to say, it wasn't smokeless powder...

When I think of civilian's possessing dynamite, I always remember this video. It is literally one of the funniest things that I've ever heard.  There is a little bit of bad language, but nothing that isn't in modern movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzabmVIU6EQ
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WV Sawmiller

One of my double first cousins blew up a batch of gunpowder or a similar substance in HS Chemistry and he got pretty badly burned. The teacher was evidently pretty excitable and wanted to expel or suspend him and was chastising him most severe till he told her to stuff a sock in it as he was going to the HS nurse or doctor for treatment and anything else she wanted to do could come later. I don't remember what else happened to him but he retired after a career as an officer in the USAF.

Here locally our HS used to do a pumpkin drop in physics class and time the fall to calculate the height of the bridge to the New River below. My son and his buddies realized it would be much more interesting to experiment using a flaming pumpkin so they filled theirs with gas and just before they dropped it they lit it. It was very interesting and educational. They also learned that flaming gasoline floats on the surface of the water and that flaming fuel on top of water during the Fall dry season is not a good combination. They nearly burned up the whole town but fortunately the fire department were successful in stopping it before the flames crossed the railroad tracks.

While was in the USMC I had the Ammo Supply/Storage point at USMCLB Albany GA at the Logistics Center there. I received an order from HQMC  to stock an assortment of several different explosives such as commercial dynamite, det cord, phosphates, nitrates, etc. to be used as training aids for a explosive dog that we were getting in the future. All of these classes of explosive were incompatible with each other so when I asked the Base Safety Officer what to do he handed 3-4 four inch binders and said "Its in there somewhere" so I dug around several days learning way more about explosive storage than I ever wanted and finally hit on a loophole for small amounts of total Net Explosive Weight (Less than 1000 lbs NEW). I sent a request to the CNO and got my waiver and a counter proposal on my storage plan which was easier all around. I got my explosives but neither I or my ammo tech knew anything about maintenance of the stuff so I told her to leave it alone. Wrong answer! When the dog and handler arrived 6 months later the first thing the handler wanted to do was inspect his training aids. He immediately identified that the wet spot under the commercial dynamite was a bad thing. We did not know you were supposed to rotate the stuff something like 1/4 turn a week to keep the nitro from leaking out of the waxed paper. So, per SOP, I called EOD at Ft Benning 90 miles away. They immediately put me on hold and never came back nor would they pick up on subsequent calls (And you wonder why Marines have no so little love for the Army?). I called Warner Robbins AFB EOD about 120 miles away and they immediately sent a 2 P/U team down, transported the dynamite to the Base landfill 1/4 mile away and remotely set it on fire and burned it with no explosion required.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

I was going to add what to do if you find some old dynamite in that condition but yea - don't touch it, don't bang anything, and whatever you do - don't break the crystals - call the pros.  It's actually not bad to deal with if you do it right.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Don P

A friend wanted me to help him remove a box from an old store some years ago. I let him know it was probably very unstable. "We can hook to it and pull it out with the tractor" "Uhhh, I think the store would outrun the tractor  :D"

Tom King

When I was an early teenager, here at the lake, I used to work at a campgrounds.  One of my jobs, before it opened for the Summer, was to put some rocks in an old sock, with the fuse of an M80 sticking through the side of the sock.  The job was to light it, and throw them under the docks, to run any snakes out.

The fuse would keep burning underwater. It would shoot a small column of water probably 20 feet in the air, straight up through a crack in the dock floor boards.

We first tried just lighting an M80, and throwing it in the water, but it would just spin in a circle, and shoot a column of water.

It was fun even if we only ever rolled out a couple of snakes, upside down.

Corley5

It's good that I sand bagged out of chemistry for general biology instead ;) ;D :) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

mike_belben

This thread really brings back forgotten memories of what a change its been from then to now.  

I was probably 7 or 8, we could be on an empty bridge or coming up to an underpass with no one around and my dad would pull an M80 out of his pocket, hold it over to me in the front seat of that 78 malibu wagon and say 'light this.'  Then hed toss it out the window just so the kids could get a kick out of a splash or a boom.   There was a whole paper bag full of em just sitting ontop the fridge like mints or toothpics just incase ya needed one i guess.. And it was no big deal. We never got in any sort of trouble .. I dont even remember a desire to sneak off with any because it wasnt forbidden at all.  I wasnt even that interested.  We'd already blown up all the fun stuff with dad.

Now im supposed to panic if my boy has his plastic rambo knife in his backpack or forgets a mask and hand sanitizer?  Gets written up for an orange on the bus?  Give me a break, what are we even turning into anymore?

Boy do I miss the 80s. Golly.
Praise The Lord

aigheadish

You guys are making me wish I was smarter with chemistry, but now I'm pretty sure I get put on a list, maybe even for replying to this topic. My enjoyment in this respect was only taking rolls of caps (for cap guns) and dropping the heaviest rock I could find on it... I'd love to figure out some decent explosives to play with in the back yard.

On the original note of gunfire, my wife and I were sitting on our covered porch when I looked over and noticed a hole, about 5 feet from the porch ceiling, in the vinyl siding. I investigated to find a bullet lodged in there. I'm not sure if it was there since we moved in, neither of us noticed the hole previously, or if somehow it was shot by someone locally and managed to end up there. Either way it left me a bit paranoid to be sitting there for a while later. I don't mind celebratory gunshots but I prefer them shot into the ground. On NYE we hear a LOT of gunfire. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Thank You Sponsors!