iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hot deal on white pine-what kind of drying needed

Started by flip, December 09, 2005, 01:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

I'm half way through setting up my Ebac LD3000 kiln chamber and well as luck has it...

I bought about 1000bf of knotty white pine at an auction the wood has been stacked and sticked for a little over a year.  My buddy is out selling some shelving he lucked up and stopped by a cabinet shop.  Long story short they are starting a job and they need some white pine ASAP.  My question is:When I finish my kiln and get a load in there (don't worry about initial moisture content) what type of drying do I need to do? 6%?  High heat?  I don't have a schedule for soft woods and we don't really have a soft wood supplier around here :( :P

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Den Socling

If it has been properly air dried, you can apply all the heat you've got as soon as you can. You need to get it hot enough to set the pitch and it will end up at 6% in the process.

SwampDonkey

Yes, if you don't set the pitch it will come through your finish through the knots. I'm no kiln operator, but 6% - 12% is the norm even though that will change when you place it in different climates. I've never had trouble with pitch on clear wood that was air dried. Biggest problem is blue-green stain when stacked in a pile with no air flow.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

flip

It does have blue stain but I guess that planes out.  What temp. do I need to set pitch?

Fliip

Gunny

Flip:

I don't know that there's a set-in-concrete "standard" for setting pine pitch but the number 160F comes around often.  There are some lengthy threads here on this subject so maybe a search will bring them up for you.

I've run my L200 past 130 a few times with no problem and have not yet had a single problem with pitch bleeding.  But I'm sure, given any number of certain conditions, it might rise to the surface somehow.  My expereinces tell me that it really depends upon the max temps to which the lumber will become exposed as it's processed and placed (direct sunlight will exceed 130F often). 

Good luck.  I love working my pine, too!

stumpy

Unfortunately, blue stain is in the wood and, in most cases will not plane out.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

flip

:o >:( :( >:( :( :o

Tell me it ain't so....

Might be expensive fire wood, eh? :D :D

beenthere

Might be you can call it 'denim' and double the value added  eh? :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

flip

Hmmmm...sounds like a good marketing angle-rare knotty denim white pine. :D  Sounds like a winner to me. ;)

SwampDonkey

flip, sometimes the stain is just on the surface and easily planed off, sometimes it goes quite deep also. Any pine laying around unsawn and out in the open will stain fast in the heat. My grandfather slaved like a bugger to cut and skid some pine across the ice with his horses. It ended up siting in the heat in the early summer before it got sawn and dried. It was suppose to be for cupboards for mother. Well it became kindling wood for the furnace, it stained real bad. If you have ambrosia in it, then the stain is likely deep, they feed on the fungus in the galleries.  :o

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Gunny

flip:

The term "denim" pine's been around quite awhile--in fact there's a good thread about it over on another Board under "The Cabinet I Made".  It's actually a good thing to find and easy on the eyes and good for your pocket book, too.  I have about 5MBF of it deadstacked from back when we sold the Tree Farm and "retired" here to the lake (I brought it along with us). This Spring, the midwest market will sing with it! The more you find, the merrier you should be.  (Wait until you first lay your eyes on "Pumpkin Pine!")

Have fun.

Thank You Sponsors!