iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cutting hardwoods

Started by stan064, January 22, 2021, 11:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stan064

i am cutting some maple and oak that has 2-3 stems coming out of the trunk,i am cutting 1 or 2 out of 3, will they bleed out this spring,? should i seal the cut stumps ,if so with what , thanks

Ron Scott

The cut stems should heal themselves with out any sealants. Slant cutting them will accelerate their natural sealing.
~Ron

VTDonn

No need to seal. But to the bigger point, pick the very best crown with the straightest stem and cut the rest. You want to devote that whole root infrastucture to putting energy into the most vigorous stem. Cut a mild slant as low as you can sloping away from the tree, and the tree will take care of itself. Generally I wouldn't leave more than one stem per tree, because you want that single remaining stem to grow as straight as possible. If you leave two, they will likely "push away" from each other and grow less symmetrically. For quality sawtimber, you want to grow as straight and round a tree as possible.

That said, depending on what size the tree is now, you may not be able grow the tree to a very large size, because as it's diameter increases and those cut stumps are consumed by the main live stem, the butt will be compromised and prone to rot.

stan064

Thank You Sponsors!