iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Work Gloves

Started by kantuckid, April 14, 2021, 02:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kantuckid

I'm at that age/experience where I've tried most any glove made but still have a glove question not answered by what I've tried before.

Has anyone used the orange string knit gloves (see MCR 9675) with the PVC webbed on two sides and sold as sticky gloves? I'm wondering if they'll attract sawdust? 

The other glove I have in mind is also a string knit glove with blue PVC blocks (see MCR 9660 MB) on two sides.

I've used the string knit black dot gloves but these both seem as though they might last longer? 
Yes I've tried reading some web reviews. Seen A to Z on most gloves sold and there thousands of types sold. 
Thanks!
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

KenMac

I have found that northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company Item 68040 is  just what I need in a work glove around the mill and wood yard. I understand that this company is not liked on the forum for some reason, but I buy from them on occasion. These gloves are nitrile coated polyester knit and are comfortable and last me about a month per pair. They are currently on sale for $9.99 a dozen. I bought 2 dozen pairs Sunday. YMMV
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

WV Sawmiller

There are some pretty detailed threads here on gloves if you go search for them. I use the cheap HF ones. I find I can tear them up just as quickly as a pair of White Mule or Brown Mule heavy leather gloves that cost 5X as much. I wear gloves pretty faithfully. Just left a firewood pile I am making of several dead ash trees I cut yesterday and mashed my finger between a couple of big chunks. The gloves really helped and likely saved a nail.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

I don't think one has to wonder why Northern isn't liked, there's a pretty detailed thread on the subject. Iirc, they were selling Logrite tools for a while and then got the great idea to copy Logrite's stuff and have it produced in China. To top it off, they were using actual Ligrite promotional photos for their knock off tools. Pretty slimy business practice and not the kind of people I like to do business with. 
Too many irons in the fire

Wudman

I've used the orange knit pvc webbed gloves before.  For me, the pvc webs came off in short order and they didn't wear very well after that.  My contract tree planters seem to like them.  They can grasp a seedling with one hand and swing a hoedad in the other.  These guys operate like sewing machines so they are pretty good at what they do.

I keep a few pair of the PVC coated gloves on hand.  I use them for fish cleaning.  White perch (fresh water) and croakers (salt water) will tear the crap out of your hands.  These keep the fins at bay.  I've never used them for extended periods of work.

I would suggest the cheap (like 50 cent a pair in bulk) mechanics type gloves from the discount stores (Harbor Freight, Amazon, Northern).  Southside turned me on to them.  They are thin nylon with the PVC coating.  I can get 2 or 3 days out of a pair tailing the mill and then pitch them and grab another pair.  They are pretty good for grip and protection.  High quality leather doesn't survive any better with rough lumber.

Wudman    
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

KenMac

Quote from: barbender on April 14, 2021, 04:20:39 PM
I don't think one has to wonder why Northern isn't liked, there's a pretty detailed thread on the subject. Iirc, they were selling Logrite tools for a while and then got the great idea to copy Logrite's stuff and have it produced in China. To top it off, they were using actual Ligrite promotional photos for their knock off tools. Pretty slimy business practice and not the kind of people I like to do business with.
I apologize to anyone who was offended by my mentioning NT. I was unaware of this situation.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

barbender

I certainly wasn't offended. Just giving you the background of what caused that situation😊

kantuckid

Thanks for the comments.
 I actually did a chat with NT yesterday on scaffolding-they have the best price I've found BTW. I do not have any specific love or hate for them but the story line above is nasty stuff. In my experience working there have been more than several bad actors who owned or worked for various places/companies who were not representative of the entire organization by any means. Not to "go there" but as a baseball lover for life, I could easily decide to boycott MLB over a recent action but I wont cause theres mostly one persons poor decision telling me I cannot choose to indict the entire MLB. Same for the NFL and the kneeling events.
 My BIL has so many places he won't go in it's privately comical to me. One bad clerk and he's gone forever sort of thing. 

Back to gloves!: I did look at those type of knit gloves with the nitrile coated palms- MCR alone makes a bunch of versions-Amazon has a chart showing some. On the orange ones loosing the sticky stuff- Amazon reviewers who like them have said there's been batches that were great and others that it came off easily. 
At this point I'm leaning toward the blue "blocks" knit gloves but not bought anything yet. 
I didn't mention that having had CTS release surgery in both hands about 20 yrs back, the heel of your palm is tender in the center forever, period! You'll never slap an end wrench again, so I wear gloves more than ever since that surgery. I liked Carhartt winter gloves for year round use for some years until my palm heel toughened slightly. As for gloves vs. keeping your nails- late Nov 2020 I was placing a 6x10 oak beam on my cabin projects foundation off a FEL and it had hung on a 3/4" J-bolt on a pier. I was bare handing it as the piers are level, ground is not so beam sat off level on forks and thus it need a shim to drop on the bolt-> which it did at the expense of my left middle finger. Ouch! I took one look at it and decided I needed to make the trip out of the woods to my truck and get it looked at so I might keep the finger for later use :D
It was sort of thin looking and as we know handling any size wood gloves can save a pinch when the glove gets caught, not our finger. Some lessons are never learned? 
I wore a freebie pair of the string knit gloves U-line sent me with another item around the m ill and they were great other than they do separate at the crease of your thumb. I'll research gloves here some, thanks. 

moodnacreek

Goat skin gloves for me.  With a fire burning in an old tank, rain, snow, wet lumber and slabs I keep a pair or 2 on the 'stove' and  synthetics melt.

kantuckid

I know operators, truckers, etc., like goat but way too thin for my hands.  

Tom King

I, and my men, like Anchor brand 101-1000 black dot gloves.   They used to be 15 dollars a dozen, but I just ordered a dozen, off ebay, for 27.

They're as comfortable as the cheap, unprotected palm brown cotton gloves, but the dot not only offer pretty good protection, but make them last many times longer.

We only wear leather gloves if absolutely necessary.  You do have to learn not to slide your hands on rough lumber, but that becomes natural pretty quickly.

I'd post a link, but think we're not supposed to post an ebay link.  Copy and paste   
 Anchor brand 101-1000 black dot gloves
in the search box on ebay.

I keep a couple of dozen in the truck, and keep dirty ones for working on equipment.

kantuckid

I'm an ebay regular but the safety equipment companies are (mostly) way cheaper on work gloves than any other sources I found. Amazon/ebay has a bunch of places who are resellers. Even with free shipping amazon is not always an automatic buy like my sons think...

Tom King

Yeah, I often find the free shipping on ebay, is cheaper than the free shipping on Amazon.

moodnacreek

Quote from: kantuckid on April 15, 2021, 08:04:03 AM
I know operators, truckers, etc., like goat but way too thin for my hands.  
Sounds like your thinking of drivers gloves and they are tight. There are work gloves of pig and goat skin. Goat is the best but hard to find and expensive. A good pair can last 3 weeks handling rough lumber. So they can be the cheapest in the long run and the best for comfort and drying.

LeeB

I wear leather gloves when I think to put any on. Usually Wells Lamont.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

You can get Goat skin gloves from Uline, and they aren't cheap no. Order a size larger though. I got large which I normally get and they are snug. Great for firewood when it is not freezing. When freezing cold insulated Wells Lamont. I don't care for pigskin, goes slippery when wet and dries real stiff. I do wear those webbed gloves, $3 a pair, use them when tying ribbons in the woods and hitting the buttons on my GPS when I measure ground. ...........erm just left the GPS on the bumper and drove for home, no GPS where it is suppose to be sitting in my console. Looked for it, no good. New one coming Monday, Garmin GPSMap64sx. Five Sir Robert Borden's later. You guys don't know who that was. Lots of Canadians don't know either, so don't lie. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tacotodd

SD, who's "Robert Borden"?
Trying harder everyday.

trapper

goat skin for me in walmart garden section.  I stock up when they go on sale in the fall.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

hamish

Sir Robert Borden was our last Prime Minister to ever be Knighted by the Crown. Was one hell of a politician and soul, was one of thew founding fathers of our countries path to somewhat independence aka our Confederation.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

barbender

Most of my gloves get retired from getting soaked with grease and hydraulic oil before they ever wear out, so I don't spend too much on them.

Bandmill Bandit

I have tried many gloves over the years and I tend to have a rather extensive collection of gloves to meet the demand of most applications that occur in the collection and processing of wood and related materials.

In Western Canada we have a Ag supply hardware  and feed store that has a good collection of farm related work wear branded as Harvest Gear.

My goto choice of gloves is the Flextime goat skin work gloves. They com in a regular unlined in either yellow or white with a mesh back that keeps your hand pretty much sweat free and they wear better than ANY other glove I have ever used.

Price can be as low as 12.99 on sale and up 21.99 regular price. They dont fall apart and they wear very evenly. Come in both mens and womens sizes and they last me at least a full season of steady milling and related work. I been using them for about 10 years now.

I wait till Red Tag sale days and buy 2 or 3 pair. Last year I paid 12.99ea for 3 pair and just put the second pair on about a week ago. Red Tag days are about to start and the Company has now completed a major merger into eastern Canada and the grand opening sale combined with red tag days starts on the 16th.

You can order on line.   Gloves & Mitts - Peavey Mart  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Tacotodd on April 15, 2021, 06:21:58 PM
SD, who's "Robert Borden"?
Not to go into his history, he's the face on the Canadian $100 bill. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I have tried various glove materials which included the coated cloth hybrids and none stop a blade tooth penetration as well as leather.  I keep several pairs of cheaper "farm" leather gloves for the sometime glove-less tailgunners but I generally wear pig or goat skin leathers.  Harbor Freight 's $6.00 gloves do very well.  I occasionally have to turn a glove thumb inside out and restitch it with dental floss.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kantuckid

I know Elsie Borden, the friendly cow, she kind of faded away. Did she wear work gloves? ???  We don't have "Sirs" among our politicos and *DanG certain none of ours wear work gloves! All the "sirs" in my world have a commission.  :D   Been there done that. For that matter the military now has some VG work gloves, far improved.

SwampDonkey

;D So, did you buy them old goat's gloves yet? :D

I wore a pair of goatskins today cutting wood, they are the Uline ones I bought before Christmas. They actually feel nice once you break them in for a day. I handle fir and spruce wood that is pitchy like pine, more so is the fir since it has lots of pitch blisters on the bark. Let ya know this fall after I bring it all into the house yard. Won't be pretty with all that pitch coating.  ;D

kantuckid

I never was after goat or leather for a utility glove, that was someone else's suggestion- but I am waiting on a price & size on a military surplus string glove with PVC stripes right now, cheapskate that I am.  :D
I like elk or deerskin for an insulated "nice" glove.
Pandemic?- I took a look yesterday a.m. on a Walmart grocery trip at gloves and saw what was supposed to be a display of gloves- there might have been 5-6 pairs ranging from maybe $7-8 up to $20+ per pair. Not a single pair of what I'd call real work gloves. 

SwampDonkey

Cheapest web/nylon glove I get is $3 a pair. They dry fast if wet, but nice to wash'm in soap once in a awhile to get rid of that bacteria living off sweat smell. :D

stavebuyer

When I was doing the firewood full time I found the cut proof gloves wore better than anything. Zero insulation or shock resistance but very tactile and breath well. They will outlast any set of leather gloves about 5 to 1 for firewood or lumber handling in mild weather.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: stavebuyer on April 17, 2021, 03:41:49 PM
When I was doing the firewood full time I found the cut proof gloves wore better than anything. Zero insulation or shock resistance but very tactile and breath well. They will outlast any set of leather gloves about 5 to 1 for firewood or lumber handling in mild weather.
Uline carries those I see. Several options. I like leather for wood handling and cut'n though. ;D

kantuckid

Specifically for chainsaw work, I've been using mechanics gloves. Not tried an high end version but the HF & Walmart ones are all flimsy. I wondered about the wear and comfort of the Kevlar gloves. There's lots of models within that category, most seem to be plastic foam palms and fingers. They call it breathable but seems like it would be unlikely they are breathable and resistant to moisture much in a glove?
Last summer I wandered down the Walmart clearance aisle and bought a $3 mark down garden glove. It's made from fake leather on palms and finger tips and inbetween has what looks like scraps from a 1970's polyester suit but so far I cannot wear them out since ~ Sept last year and still going. They fooled me and probably never see them there again...

In the work glove links below, the 2nd down Magicman shows the main glove I have my eye on now. Blue blocks string knit glove. 

bpbolde

I've been using the Milwaukee nitrile dipped cut resistant gloves. They have great dexterity and are reasonably durable.  At $4/pair, they're a great value.  Otherwise I have a good set of deerskin gloves.

kantuckid

On Milwaukee's website it shows 8 versions of them. other than paying shipping i see mostly @ $5 pair such as HD. I've wondered if the palms make your hands sweat with dipped gloves in spite of backs breathing? 

Walnut Beast

Mechanix dura hide work gloves are some of the best I found that last and have excellent dexterity. The regular ones they have are good dexterity but can wear out in the fingers in no time. But not the dura hide. Worth every penny. The other pair is something I wouldn't wear but when the banker throws you a pair for Christmas I'll take them. 

Southside

I use the red Mechanics gloves that are cotton / cloth dipped in latex.  They last two to three days if I am running the moulder and a week or better if it's more just on the mill.  Buy them by the case for $0.50 or so.  When the rubber wears off toss em and get another pair as the splinter protection is gone.  They are small enough to keep in your jeans pocket and forget they are there and cheap enough to toss without getting upset.  What is nice is that I can feel all the buttons on my Super 70 and even answer the phone with these on. Regular leather gloves would last a day at most handling rough sawn lumber and forget about feeling buttons.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Might have to try them. I had some gorilla gloves like that a long time ago and liked them. Usually if I'm doing lighter stuff I wear the Venom  blue rubber disposable gloves and the black steel ones

rusticretreater

Believe it or not, Hardy brand gloves from Harbor Freight are a great buy for the money.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

SwampDonkey

I use Watson's goat skin/polyester gloves on the brush saw. Stand up pretty good to getting wet, although a little stiff when they dry out at first. :D Other leathers go slimy and slippery when wet, not goat skin. Also, liking Ulines goatskin gloves when wood cutting and handling. I haven't worn out a pair yet. The pair I am using now has handled probably 30 cords of wood, and that is 3 times by the time it is stacked. :D The cheap local stuff will barely last 2 cords. :D :D Worth every penny.

Ventryjr

I'll throw in my .02. In the summer/warmer temps I use Milwaukee single layer goat skin gloves.  Found them at Home Depot $9/each on sale so I bought 2 dozen pairs. Lol.     In the winter I usally wear a pair of mid grade mig/tug welding gloves.  They provide good flexibility, durability and warmth. 

The Milwaukee goat skins don't last forever.  I can cut,split,load a 16' dump trailer of wood and the finger tips will start wearing thru. The welding gloves definitely last longer.    Most of the time at the mill I won't wear gloves in the summer.  Just bear hands and splinters here. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Magicman

I will have to agree with the leather "Hardy" HF gloves, ~$6 per pair.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old saw fixer

@SwampDonkey -  The Uline goat skin gloves, are they the white ones that come up on a search?
Thanks
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

SwampDonkey

moodnacreek

Just received my winter's supply of Endura insulated goat skin gloves. Not cheap but cheap in the long run. A power line worker once gave me pair of  a style of these you can not buy as they are spec'd out for working around high voltage. But there are similar ones you can get. After I wore out that first pair I had to have more. Most gloves only last a day or two stacking rough lumber but I can get 3 weeks with these and if I go through a finger I cut off a good one from another worn out pair and glue it on. Paid around $200 for a dozen pair. If you order these in insulated get the next size larger. I expect to go over a year before I need more.

melezefarmer

I like the Challenger brand fleece lined leather gloves from Napa here in Canada. Pricey but they do go on sale for 7.99$ a pair from time to time.

barbender

Moodnacreek, I was looking at those after you mentioned them and thought I'd try a pair or 2. Do you get the model that is a grey color or the brown ones? The fact they are treated to not absorb oil could be a game changer for me for work gloves, a lot of my winter gloves get retired from being soaked with hydraulic oil before they ever get worn out.

moodnacreek

Quote from: barbender on December 15, 2022, 10:44:43 PM
Moodnacreek, I was looking at those after you mentioned them and thought I'd try a pair or 2. Do you get the model that is a grey color or the brown ones? The fact they are treated to not absorb oil could be a game changer for me for work gloves, a lot of my winter gloves get retired from being soaked with hydraulic oil before they ever get worn out.
The Endura goatskin gloves I have are almost white in color. The ones that just came have thick thinsulate ? inside and must be ordered 1 size larger. Others have less insulation and fit normal and are ok for summer. These are not bad in winter either. The goat skin wears off the dirt and grease so that is nice if you don't do dirty work every day. [ I don't like to leave black hand prints on fresh cut boards]  This company makes many styles and does not sell to individuals. I have been finding them on E bay sometimes. P.M. me if you need more info. Doug

Old saw fixer

Thanks SwampDonkey, that was same glove and the only goatskin glove offered by Uline.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

SwampDonkey

They sell  TILLMAN brand Tig welding gloves that are goat skin to.

Rhodemont

I really like my Tiger Cat heavy leather gloves for handling boards and firewood.  In the winter I wear brown cotton garden gloves from Tractor Supply as liners in them which keep my hands warm.  I rotate a couple sets if they get wet so they do not get soaked and dry stiff.  They are too bulky for operating the sawmill.  I had some deer skin gloves with which I could operate the mill and handle the boards but they did not last that long.  Sounds like these goat skin gloves would be good around the mill.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

SwampDonkey

They've worked well for me, the one pair I have been using so far are a bit covered in fir pitch, :D but still going strong.

I have another brand of goat skin, that are really thin, good for weeding the garden, but not good enough for wood handling, VGO brand. And I have to order the next size up in that brand. I do like the insulated ones by VGO for hiking my woods trails in the fall, not warm enough for winter. My regular winter ones are deerskin by Wells Lamont and thinsulate. Not a work glove though. Although I do have some Wells Lamont work gloves, I don't rave over them. Good enough for splitting wood or running the tree trimmer.

barbender

That fir pitch treatment should be waterproof?!😊

barbender

Moodna, I'll look into it more. I found a few places selling them online. My needs are a tough, insulated glove that is water resistant. Not water proof, the gloves that have a waterproof liner are sweat soaked in short order. Just something that doesn't absorb water like a sponge, which all of my current work gloves do👎

DDW_OR

cutting a blowdown
saved my hand

"let the machines do the work"

FactorySeconds

It was time to get a new pair of these guys. Aggressor with Hyperdri. They'll usually last almost all the winter and are fully waterproof despite appearances which means they're great for the windchill too. I sometimes double them up with large mitts should it start to go below -20C but for the most part I couldn't survive winter without them!

DDW_OR

Quote from: FactorySeconds on December 16, 2022, 03:35:42 PM...... Aggressor with Hyperdri. .......
$30 USA, not bad

China ??

moodnacreek

My beloved goat skin gloves got wet and cold today. If I have to mess with a hydraulic hose and such I try to remember put on some Do it Best cow hide gloves that are indestructible if uncomfortable. I appreciate anyone considering my suggestions but remember I am not out in the woods or on a job site but at my fixed sawmill and work shop with wood furnace and slab burner outside. What luxury, extra gloves, hooded sweatshirts, hats etc. and all hanging near a stove. I also use foot warmers in steel toe boots as ye old Sorrel's hurt my back. The worst is when I absolutely must put on waterproof gloves. There is nothing colder.

Old Greenhorn

Moodnacreek, get yourself some wool faller's gloves, they make great liners in the heavy work gloves. I get mine from Madsen's for a few bucks a pair ($4?). I wear them inside cheap gauntlet gloves at the mill or doing firewood on really cold days, they are a godsend. The cotton fallers gloves work OK for slightly warmer temps but wool keeps you warm even when wet, the cotton ones absorb sweat or water and don't. Just make sure they are not too tight, I buy X-large gauntlets for wearing over the fallers gloves to give breathing room.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Resonator

QuoteJust received my winter's supply of Endura insulated goat skin gloves. Not cheap but cheap in the long run. A power line worker once gave me pair of  a style of these you can not buy as they are spec'd out for working around high voltage.
Gloves worn by powerline workers are spec'd "insulated" primarily for protection against shocks, and may or may not be "insulated" for warmth. They are heavy rubber and as I was told, have to be inflated by the worker regularly to check for leaks. They are often worn with heavy rubber sleeves for further protection when working with live wires. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

I stopped by HF and picked up 3 pair of their better double palm Hardy gloves yesterday, $7.99.

SawyerTed

The best gloves I ever used were given to me by a friend who was a city fireman.  They were almost impossible to damage, waterproof and insulated.  

I wish I knew where they came from.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Old Greenhorn

Ted, firefighters generally have two pairs of issued gloves (at least). One pair are for structural firefighting and general rescue operations. They have a vapor barrier, a Bloodborne pathogen barrier, are insulated against heat and run about $70-90 a pair. They are tough gloves, but I've damaged a few pair. The other pair is for extrication work, they are pretty cut proof and also very tough with a BBP barrier. Not so good at all with water or heat, but man they make good work gloves when taken out of service (or so I have been told  ;D). There are other gloves for tech rescue guys that vary from straight leather rope gloves to something that looks more like a mechanics glove depending on what they are doing.
 I will say the first glove above that we were issued was exceptional. We were working a structure fire in February and we had a dump tank that was full at the end of the fire, the drain sock had fallen inside the tank (bad move by a FNG) and everybody was trying to figure out what to do. It was about 2° or so. I was tired, it was 3am and we had all been slipping around on an ice sheet for 3 hours, so I reached down in the tank up to my arm pits and grabbed the sock, untied it, and drained the tank. It took about a full minute for my coat sleeves and gloves to freeze solid and fuse together. I could not get them off, but I was warm and drove back to the station and warmed up and got help getting out of my gear. Those were good gloves and I hated it when they got cut during an extrication job a few months later. But I did get a new pair when the job was over. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

These are my favorite winter gloves by Wells Lamont. I don't think you'd get the mileage out of them handling wood.

Leather Winter Work Gloves | HydraHyde | Wells Lamont

I think this is there best winter time work glove with goatskin and nylon, insulated. Never tried them though.

Wells Lamont | HydraHyde® Waterproof Grain Goatskin Hybrid Winter Gloves

This is the insulated work glove I use a lot in cold weather. I've never wore a pair out, but I'm not handling lumber. Great chain saw gloves when it's cold. Not water proof or resistant because of the cloth back, but sure feel nice in dry conditions. I don't cut wood in the wet, I get chose my days. ;D

Wells Lamont | Heavy Duty Leather Palm Winter Work Gloves

I wear these on the brush saw, probably 2 pair a year. Not a material handling type glove.

005 Flextime - Watson Gloves

Walnut Beast

Look like nice gloves !!

moodnacreek

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on December 16, 2022, 08:00:23 PM
Moodnacreek, get yourself some wool faller's gloves, they make great liners in the heavy work gloves. I get mine from Madsen's for a few bucks a pair ($4?). I wear them inside cheap gauntlet gloves at the mill or doing firewood on really cold days, they are a godsend. The cotton fallers gloves work OK for slightly warmer temps but wool keeps you warm even when wet, the cotton ones absorb sweat or water and don't. Just make sure they are not too tight, I buy X-large gauntlets for wearing over the fallers gloves to give breathing room.
Yes, thankyou. I have military wool glove liners for hunting.  There is a problem here, age. Back when I raced motorcycles I learned about holding on to fat handle bars. Same with tool handles like cant hooks. They have to be small if you really work them all day. Those who disagree will find out when they get arthritis. Same goes for thick gloves.

FactorySeconds

Quote from: DDW_OR on December 16, 2022, 04:55:28 PM
Quote from: FactorySeconds on December 16, 2022, 03:35:42 PM...... Aggressor with Hyperdri. .......
$30 USA, not bad

China ??
I wish I knew where they were made but I've tried dozens of gloves especially when I was climbing cell towers in winter. I always came back to these guys. Hopefully the new colour doesn't mean the manufacturing/quality has been changed!

SwampDonkey

I actually like thicker handles or I can't hang on to them very well. Small handles is for small handed women folk. ;) We have a certain spoon brand here that mother uses, narrow and thin and can't hold them worth a darn. I always reach for my man handle spoons. :D Undersized tool handles, I get hand cramps. Can't stand a small handled screw driver, no bit of good to me. You have to grip them darn things twice as hard, can't imagine being helpful for arthritis. ;D

DDW_OR

Aggressor with Hyperdri

the largest i can find is XL
i need XXL
palm 10 cm or 4.25 inch
hand length 21 cm or 8.125 inch

moodnacreek

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 19, 2022, 11:39:25 AM
I actually like thicker handles or I can't hang on to them very well. Small handles is for small handed women folk. ;) We have a certain spoon brand here that mother uses, narrow and thin and can't hold them worth a darn. I always reach for my man handle spoons. :D Undersized tool handles, I get hand cramps. Can't stand a small handled screw driver, no bit of good to me. You have to grip them darn things twice as hard, can't imagine being helpful for arthritis. ;D
If you could go into a tool shed full of hand tools made before 1950 you would find the handle diameter at least 1/3 rd smaller than to days handles. I grew up with my grand parents tool shed and still have a few items. When I was about 50 and put on gloves and grabbed a screw dog [on a Lane mill] it felt like an electric shock. With the gloves off no so bad. Same with the roll on cant hook. Fishing in Montanna I had to find a hardware store for sand paper to reduce the cork grip on my flyrod. I did not fish or turn logs for a few hours like I do now, I went all day and sometimes til 10 o'clock at night. I where size large gloves. Each to his own but I strongly disagree with you on this subject. I do enjoy and agree with any other posts of yours I have read. Doug

booman

After crushing two fingers from a heavy timber coming down on them unexpectedly,  3 stitches in each finger tip, I looked for gloves with steel toed fingers such as steel toed boots.   I actually found some and really like them.   Superior Glove® Endura® Oilbloc™ PinchGuard Driver Gloves *.  I hope I can hype them here.   They have held up well. 
2019 LT15G25WIDE, 2013 LT35HDG25, Stihl MS880 with 59" bar with Alaskan sawmill attachment.  John Deere 5045 tractor with forks, bucket and grapple.  Many chainsaws.

Walnut Beast

100 bucks😳! Does anybody have the Vermont work gloves ? They say there worth the money 

chep

We have a store local that carries them. I bet they are worth it, I tried then on and they were nice. But dang 100$ is quite a poke 

Walnut Beast

That's what I heard. I would like to try and see a pair in person but I'm with you on the 💰

Otis1

I have always liked Kinco full leather lined gloves in the winter.  Once they're waterproofed, they last a long time. Less than $30 I think.

SwampDonkey

They are nice goat skin gloves for sure. But, I'd never pay $100 for a work glove. Mine would be coated in fir pitch in no time. I'd rather they were $25 ones. :D Wells Lemont ones I use do the trick, pitch and all, and hold up to.  The splitting maul won't slip from your hands with fir pitch on the handle. :D It would have to be going to town gloves for that money. But I'm not riding a buggy with a horse whip, yet. The heater still works in the car. :D But then again anyone doing a lot of material handling wants the best he can get to. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!