iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Emerald Ash Borer

Started by Ron Scott, July 31, 2002, 10:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I Asked AtLast to make the forum proud. I believe he has. Way to go Chris!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

I wasn't sure where to post this, thought it might be of interest.

article 1
article 2
link to more info

Huney_Red_Oak

I too am a Michigander and have heard lots of wonderful things about Last Chance Logs to Lumber.  He's doing a great job !
Loving Trees and others . . .

SwampDonkey

Ron:

I've seen the odd golden Buprestid and metalic green colored one once in awhile. But, these buggers do make large bore holes coming and going from the wood. Oval hole going in (flat-headed borer) and out. They will certainly hit white pine fast in late spring, early summer. I've seen them in dead hardwood boles I chopped up for firewood for my lean too's in the bush. I didn't cook'm over the open fire though. Eat them raw like on 'Fear Factor' , just like corn with a tail twitchin.  ;)

regards   ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

9shooter

Currently the state and the feds are clear cutting all ash around 2 infestations West and South of Lansing Michigan. I hate to admit to pessemism, but Most of the locals I've talked to have little hope of eradicating these bugs. As the son of a MSU entomologist, I can only attest to how difficult it is to control an insect of which little is known about their life cycle. My dad studied flies, and let me tell you, there are a lot of strange and mysterious habits these little critters have. For instance, one species is found at the top of the highest point of the surrounding topography for 2 hours in the hotest period of the day. Usually on the top of the highest tree. Then they disperse for the rest of the day. You have to concider that 1 or 2 beetles could fly outside the containment area. How about 1 or 2 hitching a ride on a car. It's depressing to think about. I hope some chemical warfare is found to be effective in eradicating these bugs. As much as I dislike chemical controls, it seems like the best compromise.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

SwampDonkey

Yeah a friend of mine researches best management practices for the southern pine beetle at VT, he's a research associate there. The bug is a major best in pine plantations. I was down to see its works in stands in NC and TN. They work fast and folks were trying to harvest the 30 year old plantations ahead of it. We were on some Bowater limits sampling stands in 2001 (my friend was rather). Hey!, I did hold the D-tape.  ;)

cheers

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Windsor is cutting a 20 mile long path 6 miles wide between Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie.
 I had a link but I can't find it. If anyone wants the link, let me know I'll keep looking. :-/

SwampDonkey

I be interested Furby

thanks

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

Ok guys, here's the deal. I found the article, but I can't get to it.
The only way I could find it was through a search. I clicked on the article link the search showed and no go. So I did a search for the name of the article and of course, it don't exist.  :-/ ::)

I guess you could order a back issue if you really want to.
Wait maybe Jeff has an idea, oh Jeff ?????????
It's the Feb. 6 issue of the Detroit Free Press ( freep.com ) and the article is: Canada cuts ash trees in borer fight.

Or does anyone have it laying around?

SwampDonkey

Furby

Thankss SD! That's the very same one I was after but it kept telling me was gone.  :-/

SwampDonkey

Furby:

Sometimes servers go down temporarily, right Jeff? ;)

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
That's funny!!!

The sever was working fine, I got every other link I tried and I tried a lot of them at that site.  :-/

Furby

I forgot to post this the other day, but I thought it would make a good example of what just one incident can lead to.

Link

Thank You Sponsors!