iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Danger when least expected?

Started by jph, February 15, 2008, 01:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jph

Taking a short break from felling spruce I stepped back into the small stream to rinse some of the mud off my boots. To call it a stream may be an exaggeration, it is only 3 or 4 foot wide, with about 3 inches of water flowing over a layer of small stones. No great danger, but the next thing I know both feet have broken through the layer of stones and I am sinking into saturated clay. I fall back onto the bank but my legs are already submerged to above my knees. A serge of adrenalin and I manage to break the suction and get my legs free.
There was no real danger for me but for a child it may have been different.
I think I better get some warning signs.

John

RSteiner

WOW  :o

We don't have any of that around here.  Standing on stones one would think that would be sure footing.  Good that you had your wits about you and knew what to do. 

My brother-in-law in Florida talks about sink holes in the sand that can swallow a truck in short order, glad we don't have that also.

Randy
Randy

semologger

YOu can say that again randy I am glad we dont have any either. Never heard of anything like that. Around here if your on rock your on rock. You can run the skidder up and down a stream like that and never sink an inch. Glad your alright do yall have many places like that?

Ianab

On my old farm we would get something slightly similar.

The soil there was a heavy volcanic ash over solid sandstone. The problem was that you got underground springs and streams carving out caves under the ash layer. We lost a calf one time, it was just walking along a trail an the dirt gave way and it fell into a hole about 12" across at the surface and 4 ft deep. Luckily we found it and could reach down and lasso it out.

Another time we were pushing in fence posts with an excavator.. we have a couple of posts that broke through the surface layer.. and vanished  :o

It was quite a worry with horses, broken legs etc.

We had swamps too, but they were obviously swamps  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!