iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

white oak

Started by ehp, March 22, 2020, 05:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

so what is true wo going for in the USA and what are your lengths , we do not have stave logs here but would like to know more on what it takes to make a stave log , diameter, length defects and stuff . Veneer Im fine on but wish price would come up somewhere closer to yours .

nativewolf

Ok so for WO- is it pink or wheat/cream colored heartwood?  Our current stand is pinkish (not great).  So markets are Quarter Saw mills, Veneer, Stave, Sawmills, Bridge, Exporters.  Most of our buyers are on Doyle for special logs (stave, veneer, QS).  Bridge timbers are international as are a few sawmills, most are doyle.  Export brokers are all doyle.

Pinkish:  Veneer export to get the best price range is $2.0+ up to $6..  I've had a hard time getting above $5 for a 24" rift log (RIFT means a log to be rift saw, requires over 20-21"). Clear butts or 3 sided butts, really very little price reduction on 3 sides (only 1 defect), maybe $0.50. $3 for a nice 19". For second logs if large diameter (and it seems you have a story to tell..we are bored..tell on) the quarter saw marketplace has offered more than the stave market, at least from my woods.  We are a long way from stavebuyers KY central whisky heartland so our stave prices are a bit below his due to trucking and a lack of competition.  Lots of small quarter saw mills and the guys buying from me truck it 200+ miles.  Paying $2+ to $1.5 for 3-4 side clear down to 2 side clear at the lower price.  Really depends on diameter.  They will buy down to 16" if a nice log but want 18"+.  May buy some rough logs (closed knots) for rustic QS wo furniture stuff but at that price (.8-1.0) I think you could do as well on long timbers.  The QS market buyers actually prefer pinkish heartwood, has better flake they tell me.  Our stave average over $1.75 but are really most useful for marketing small butt logs -14"-16".  Export buyers pay about the same.  

Local sawmill will buy whole tree for $1 straight run, international.  I do much better merchandizing but it is a price.  

Once you go lower than 16" I am turning it into bridge timbers and at that diameter I am usually in really knotty logs (1 side clear at best).  I can't find good steady prices in the sawmills for 2 or even 3 side, they are buying QS logs for 1 or $0.90.  Crazy markup for them. 

Cream/wheat heartwood:  What domestic guys are demanding.  Domestic veneer market and EU, price bumps to 3-6.  Actually you can get $7 for the larger Rift Sawing logs.  Someone paid $9 for a log in Indiana 2 weeks ago or so.  If the economy holds up this summer than this fall we will do a harvest with exceptional large WO and should be bouncing on that $7 if the logs are nice.  About 100 of those and hundreds (close to 1000) of others ...fall can't get here fast enough.

Anyhow...just a shotgun blast of stuff in not much order.  What do you see in Canada?

Liking Walnut

nativewolf

So on a stand with average DBH of 18 and a spread of 16-26 on the harvest and 30-50' stem height before serious crotch (only tie logs or pallet above that) we are averaging $1.89/bdft in doyle scale for the whole tree.   Not great, not terrible.  This fall will be way up, if prices don't fall.
Liking Walnut

ehp

here right now wo I doing not great but ok, where I see a problem is first on my good clear grade is no where your price , My veneer price is maybe $4 a foot your money , thing is my number 1 sawlog is veneer in most places but not here and that price is maybe a $1 a ft at best

nativewolf

Same log I had problems with.  The QS market was new to me and a huge income boost for my clients and I.  The 3-4 side clear second logs are my issue.  The ability to take even a 2 side clear 17" log to a QS buyer is huge.  Now the virus thing is going to upset the markets for a few weeks (I don't think the 6-18 months you are concerned about) but then things should improve.  In VA we had started seeing increased demand for many hardwoods before the panic set in.  

You can afford to ship logs when they are close to $2 USD / bdft.  I would work hard on finding a QS mill, they were all looking for WO last week.
Liking Walnut

stanmillnc

Anyone know of an operation that buys WO logs fairly close to Charlotte, NC?

Wudman

Quote from: stanmillnc on March 24, 2020, 07:44:22 AM
Anyone know of an operation that buys WO logs fairly close to Charlotte, NC?
Rebel Lumber Company and Edwards Wood Products are both in Marshville, NC.  Either would probably be a good outlet for WO.  I worked for Edwards some 30 years ago.  Haven't kept in touch with either facility.
Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

ehp

I know the veneer from here that goes south say the trucking cost is $800/1000 , they normally only take 4500 feet doyle scale at a time because of your weight laws

mike_belben

Quote from: stanmillnc on March 24, 2020, 07:44:22 AM
Anyone know of an operation that buys WO logs fairly close to Charlotte, NC?
Theres several mills around peachland.  Southern veneer in moncure may be worth it for the right wood.   Theres also mills in troy and mt gilead.   
I did very well at brown foreman in stevenson alabama on stave WO.  All it takes is 3 clear sides, 2 sound ends and straight.  
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

There is a concentration yard just north of Charlotte and they buy WO.  I think if you have good WO and enough of it you are much much better off selling to a mill.  @stanmillnc if you can't find mills let me know and I'll try to find someone close enough to you.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

So far in VA we are working, loggers are social distancing by definition I think  :D.  Seriously though many people making much ado about something that should have been stopped in it's tracks via aggressive testing.  My wife is from Korea, what a difference- no panic, good testing, few deaths..all in a jam packed country.  

Our problem is the large veneer mills are closed.  We hear that a big Ohio mill actually ran out of logs this past weekend so they are shutting in any case- rain was their enemy.  

Liking Walnut

craigc

I never have had any luck getting good prices out of the big guys. They are just volume oriented and their buyers are afraid to stick their necks out on good logs.  I stay with the little guys who own the company, he doesn't have to worry about getting yelled at for spending to much on logs. I have a picture of my buyer standing next to one of those $9/bdft White Oak veneer trees. Working at establishing a relationship with a smaller company pays they appreciate loyalty,that is what I have found.
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

ehp

sold some yesterday and did well I feel, red oak and hard maple as well and sold some red oak that is being put in a container to go across the big pond

Thank You Sponsors!