iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Tong Question - Finished w/ Pictures

Started by Cypressstump, November 13, 2012, 10:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypressstump

....."at risk of hijacking this thread how did you guys get involved in the diving/salvaging of logs? "

Growing up where I have, there have always been logging relics, tales, old mill sites, the stump reminents of giant ancient trees, the history of the logging in the swamps which had logging railroads built thru the swamps, etc. all this intrigued me to great extents. My great grandfather, Levi Garrison, built a home out of all cypress, from singles to sills. It stood for many a year , weathered many a storm until left empty after my great grandparents passed away. As old homes do when not lived in, they too pass on. My uncles used to pull a few sinkers for building needs. Early on, to see a log go from a tree trunk to board, to a building was pretty neat to me in a kids perspective. I am modeling a home somewhat like the old house Grandpaw Levi had.
When I pulled my first sinker log and had it sawn into 4/4 boards, I was hooked. They used to be far easier to locate, but now days the fad has caught on due to the TV shows, they are harder to locate and claim. But the deep ones separate most seekers from the hard core ones.
Just the history of the swamp Cypress logging down here is an amazing feat within itself.

So to answer your question Mikeb1079,  overall exposure to the old logging history and the allure of what resides inside them old sinker logs is what got me hooked. Once when asked why I like to do this for fun, my reply was that I have an obsession coupled with an addiction of being a sinker cypress junkie. And I only scratch the surface of what some of the really hard core guys that rely on the sinkers for a living around here.  I really only tinker with it. A part time junkie I reckon.... ;D

Some colorful boards

Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Migal

:D Boy they sure could have used one of those new tele handlers!  8) nice pics
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

fishpharmer

Cypressstump, thanks for sharing the fascinating old pictures.  Having done a little recovery diving myself, along with the beautiful product, I can understand the attraction of taking on such an adventure.

And those log tongs, WOW!  I don't see why they won't do the job. Well done.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thecfarm

Cypessstump,that was a nice post about yourself. Good job.
That last picture,looks like the logs are on a track,like a railroad?? Being pulled by a ??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Congrats Cypressstump on your progress.

This preparation and tong building has been a fascinating trip, so now we all wait for the journey.  Hopefully the permits will soon be approved and the salvage operation can begin.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cypressstump

Thanks guys,

thecfarm, those rails were built all throughout the swamps down here, that picture is one nearer the millsite, which is higher and drier. They used standard guage steamers built from 1890's and up. this picture is of a steam locomotive built in 1914, and was used locally down here..... I wuz gonna spin a tale about Alligator power,, but, nawh.. ::)

These old boys were paid up to 1.50$ per 10 hour day.

Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

markd

I was thinking the same thing but have you ever tried to swing a big hammer under water?
markd

mikeb1079

thanks for the informative post cypress.  i love those old pics.  shows you how creative and hardworking them old boys (and gals) were.  cheers!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Thank You Sponsors!